Are you using studio monitors?
Feb 19, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #62 of 69
How to control the volume level on active monitors?

Let me count the ways:
i.)  DAC with preamp function (e.g. Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, ESI Dr. Dac Prime)
ii.) Disk player with variable variable line output (e.g. Cambridge Audio DVD89)
iii.)  Foobar2000 also allows you to control the volume when streaming to the USB port via WASAPI

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #63 of 69

KRK ROKIT 6 G2 with Matrix M-Stage as a preamp....

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #65 of 69

Quote:
Nice setup. I dig the Thundercats poster.

Thanks man,i also love it because it glows in the dark..

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #67 of 69

Quote:
Very nice, Optimus!
I really envy the M-Stage... how do you like the Rokits with it (unbalanced)?

Thanks man...
The M-Stage is a very powerful device and can feed the Rokits with enough juice that will shake the neighborhood...
Unfortunately i bought it some months before they released the new model with the USB DAC so i run it as a headphone amp and speaker pre-amp. 
The only mod i've done so far is to change the op amp(Burr Brown OPA627AU with Class A Biasing Mod).
I switched the gain to +10db and i am enjoying my music clear and crisp with an amazing bass response..
I haven't made any adjustments to the Rokits as i prefer the default ones from manufacturer...
As you can see from my photos unlike others i prefer to place them very close to my listening position because the imaging is way better than placing them close to the wall..
I also have them sitting on top of a pair of Mopads which is a ''must have'' for every monitor owner..
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #68 of 69
For anyone looking for an economical USB interface and volume control, Behringer has released their Xenyx 302USB mixer:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/302USB.aspx

It runs about $50 on Amazon.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #69 of 69
i don't use monitors but i really like my Pioneer sp-fs51-lr floor speakers. i find them very smooth sounding with good natural response and clarity but i would not use them as near-field monitors( they would work out though well for simple playback and analyzing) since you have to sit on axis to get a flat response from them. room is heavily treated with 9'',6'' and 4'' inch fiberglass on the walls and using my left over roll wrapped in a bed sheet as a bass trap for the sub-bass under 50hz (about 28 feet left of 9'' thick of fiberglass) and is 12'' away from the corner behind my right speaker. 3'' thick persian carpet on the floor and speakers are on cinder blocks as stands.

speakers are driven from my 1980's Yamaha M-45 power amp and using my Echo audiofire 2 as not only my main source but as a passive preamp as well with it's +4dbu gain off it's balanced outputs(1.23v rms. the power amp input sensitivity is 1.14v rms so it works out for me if i want to run the amp at full output and is not being under-driven). i use my computer all the time and i find it easy accessing music from the computer. i also play music but i really don't record anymore really(i haven't attempted at recording for over a year now). i just mess around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back