Are you tone deaf? Online Test
Nov 14, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
If there was an option to repeat each sound over and over, I think anyone could score 100%.

Exactly what I thought when I did the test.

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
75.0%?

As far as I'm concerned, this test is bunk for testing tone-deafness. It's testing memory, not tone-deafness. I have absolute perfect pitch, been playing violin for 19 years, did piano for 5, all my teachers even told me I had perfect pitch.

And IMO the overload of synth sounds isn't reliable for testing this, how can you gauge tone-deafness with synthesized sounds? Give me a piano or stringed instrument and I can tell a wrong note when I hear one, or identify any note being played.

Agreed. Most of the time I found myself thinking "this is only the first sample but there's no way I'm remembering it to compare with the second one." Also the samples are really strange and sound stupid with all sorts of weird tones going on, which is made worse by how crappy quality the encoding is.

Anyway, 86.1% here and I'm pretty sure I know which ones I got wrong as I clicked them because of imagining differences.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #33 of 69
I got 80.6 as well. I'm a Tenor 1 that can pick middle C out of thin air
plainface.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #34 of 69
Excerpt from the Home Page
"You can find the test here.This is as much a test of musical memory as it is pitch perception. However, in our research on tonedeafness, we found that people who are “tonedeaf” have NORMAL musical memory. This is a rough screening test that we used to find subjects for our MRI-based neuroimaging studies on tonedeafness. In order to classify someone as tonedeaf for research purposes, we would need to give a standardized 2 hour test and also measure pitch perception thresholds in hz."

Anyways, 75% for me.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Excerpt from the Home Page
"You can find the test here.This is as much a test of musical memory as it is pitch perception. However, in our research on tonedeafness, we found that people who are “tonedeaf” have NORMAL musical memory. This is a rough screening test that we used to find subjects for our MRI-based neuroimaging studies on tonedeafness. In order to classify someone as tonedeaf for research purposes, we would need to give a standardized 2 hour test and also measure pitch perception thresholds in hz."

That should not be too surprising as "tone-deafness", in the everyday, non-musical setting, is often self-defined or is defined socially: you're told by your friends that your're "tone deaf" if you cannot sing along with them. In such cases, insufficient warm-up of the vocal cords, or even simple shyness, may give an impression of being "tone deaf"

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
That should not be too surprising as "tone-deafness", in the everyday, non-musical setting, is often self-defined or is defined socially: you're told by your friends that your're "tone deaf" if you cannot sing along with them. In such cases, insufficient warm-up of the vocal cords, or even simple shyness, may give an impression of being "tone deaf"

Yep... I've been told that I'm tone deaf a few times before (I really can't sing that well) but I think it's more down to my voice sounding totally different to what it does in my head (my nose is permanently blocked and so it always sounds like I've got a cold)

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #38 of 69
80.6%

I thought I'd do better than that.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #41 of 69
I scored 75% which means I am not tone deaf but I had a hard time staying attentive to all 36 test tones. Does that mean I have adult ADD?
blink.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

In such cases, insufficient warm-up of the vocal cords, or even simple shyness, may give an impression of being "tone deaf"

People who are not insufficiently warmed-up usually cannot reach higher notes, so that means he is able to follow along up to most of the mid to mid-high of his own range. If he is unable to sing along in his mid range in the correct pitch, he is probably tone deaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back