Are you rich enough for this hobby?
Jun 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #31 of 42
It really depends if you're a collector or purely an audiophile. For the audiophile there's always something better always something more expensive, and if the Orpheus is any proof marginal gains in quality and sound translate to massive increases in price. Is it leagues better than say a pair of Superlux? Sure. Top of the line Stax? Not enough to justify the disparity in price. 

Of course with the Orpheus a huge part of the price is rarity.

Which leads me into collecting. For me it's Audio Technica. I've been enamored with the company for as long as I can remember; working my way through their discontinued headphones via the sell and trade forum and auction sites is just natural, and relatively cheap. Do I want an ATH-W3000ANV? Sure, but in the mean time there is a whole range of budget and mid fi items to cross off the list. And with 50+ years of products out I'll be collecting for a while.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 42
I would agree that for the collector or the end game purist always looking to the other side of the fence, this can be a very expensive pursuit. But there are many levels of participation in this hobby, and satisfaction is possible on just about any budget.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:
This. It baffles me to no end when I see people I know and coworkers get crappy gear/gadgets just because they want it now. I hold a similar mentality to you: If I can't afford the best (which will be awesome to use, and will last me years and years), then I save up for it without settling for some low quality version.

Absolutely.  I rarely by products, but when I do I spend the $$$ to make sure it's high quality and will meet my expectations.  I'd rather have five $100 shirts than a hundred $5 shirts, so to speak.

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #34 of 42
No such thing as rich enough for this hobby, if you're grouping speakers + headphones together. Unless you're a person that is easily impressed by anything.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 42
Yes, Filthy Rich - though that still is not why one should not be able to find "good enough" at some point lower than top tier and this years new and improved models.

Presupposed is having a well balanced investment re: Source , amplification and  transducers = a satisfying system .

- Sounds good, it is good ;') 

At a much lower price point than the "higher end" commonly talked about on this site is of course, the importance of the quality of the source material itself and how greatly disappointing run of the mill produced "music" we formally liked will sound being reproduced with higher end, revealing gears . At least, this is what I tell myself at this point of investment and level of performance that I feel satisfied with, to now enjoy the music , its collection and appreciation  .

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #37 of 42
  Yes, Filthy Rich - though that still is not why one should not be able to find "good enough" at some point lower than top tier and this years new and improved models.

Awesome, fancy sending me a pair of HD650 then?
biggrin.gif

Or a half-decent IEM, saves on shipping!

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #39 of 42

Awesome, fancy sending me a pair of HD650 then?
biggrin.gif

Or a half-decent IEM, saves on shipping!

It's not as though giveaways were never done here at Head-Fi ; I do so like the idea of the compound savings on the shipping, hypothetically speaking ;')

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #40 of 42
Definitely not rich. I've to save money for something new, sometimes you have to limit yourself on something else. This forces you to buy a new gear carefully, not just throwing money on something new. I always think what differences it brings to my setup and do they worth that money. Sorry for my English.

Nov 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #42 of 42
I don't make a lot, but when I want something I just start saving and eventually I'll get there. I don't buy things that are lower quality or missing features just to be cheaper. I'm saving up for a flight to and from RMAF in colorado in october and to buy whichever top of the line custom IEM setup will work best for me. It's a good deal of money but it will be a purchase I can sit on for years without worry of replacement. If you take this approach, you are always rich enough to get what you want, depending on how long you are willing to wait and what you are willing to sacrifice in the mean time.

You Hit this hobby on the nose. Listen to and audition headphones find the one you want no matter the cost save up and get it.

No i am not rich, But i dont live in the slums either. I just have other things i spend money on this just happens to be one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back