Are you matching your loudspeakers and your headphones?
Jan 9, 2006 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dogg5306

New Head-Fier
To headphones lovers,

Most of us do enjoy listening to music through their headphones and most of the time that one is linked to an amp via a cable.
The thing is that most of us have choosen their headphones because they love the way they sound, sound that is different from headphones to headphones...
It might depend on taste, on the music that you're listening to or simply on the available equipment.

Sometimes I do prefer to do other things than just remain sat listening to music "while" listening to it...

Question: as it seems that we can't get a better experience than through headphones... are you trying to fine tune your hifi system (amp, speakers, cables,...) to sound as close as possible as your headphones when listening through loudspeakers?

Ex: Do Grado's owners which sound is brighter and not laid back compared to Sennheiser's prefer to listen to music through monitor speakers like B&W rather than Focal Jmlab which are generally more laid back just as Sennheiser's???

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogg5306
Question: as it seems that we can't get a better experience than through headphones... are you trying to fine tune your hifi system (amp, speakers, cables,...) to sound as close as possible as your headphones when listening through loudspeakers?

Actually, I think the consensus with most is that headphones don't have the capability to provide what speakers can and we actually have the "better experience" with speakers. I enjoy headphones for the simple fact that I can take in the music whenever and wherever I would like usually without bothering others that may be in the vicinity.

Speakers have their limitations but are well worth the trouble. My Klipschorn/McIntosh system isn't going anywhere. The impact and soundstage one gets with speakers just can't be rivaled with headphones IMO.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogg5306
Ex: Do Grado's owners which sound is brighter and not laid back compared to Sennheiser's prefer to listen to music through monitor speakers like B&W rather than Focal Jmlab which are generally more laid back just as Sennheiser's???

My preferences are for both to sound similar, speakers and headphones. A more exciting, forward sound, in my case.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't think anyone should be claiming there's a consensus when every time the topic comes up there are passioned views on both sides. Some prefer headphones but listen to speakers when necessary, others are the other way around. There is no consensus.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 7
I enjoy them both for what they each do best. The peace and clarity of headphones when I want the world to go away, the honest reproduction of my electrostatic speakers, and the near earthquake power of my custom HT gear. No headphone will move the room, and no speakers will put me in my own world. Very different, very complimentary experiences.

That said, I do try for an honest, neutral signature in sound reproduction.

TC

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 7
I actually use my headphones and speakers for different things. They are both in same room and escaping noise isn't a big problem. My speakers are very efficient and provide a lot of slam and fun so I mainly use them to rock out. When I feel like more critical listening I use my headphones.

Both setups are slightly bright. But the 880s are airier and more polite whereas the speakers are more upfront and aggresive.

I should say that I'd consider my headphone rig to be of slightly higher class than my speaker rig. My speaker rig is pretty entry level while my headphone setup is approaching mid-fi I'd say.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 7
What loudspeakers!!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back