Are you living proof that Millions don't know how to hear them selves think
Jul 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ib1dance

100+ Head-Fier
Can you try thinking differently or is your mind made up .

Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Your_Brain_On_Music
This Is Your Brain On Music is a popular science book written by the McGill University neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin, and first published by Dutton Books (a division of Penguin Publishing) in the U.S. and Canada in 2006, and updated and released in paperback by Plume/Penguin in 2007. It has been translated into 18 languages and spent more than a year on The New York Times, The Globe and Mail, and other bestseller lists.

This is your Brain on music is a book written without using much scientific Jargon.There is Growing Evidence  that brain function and music are more closely connected then many have ever imagined .

Quote:http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/110411_music.htm
[size=x-small]It has al­ready been known that “in­ten­sive re­pet­i­tive mu­si­cal prac­tice can lead to bi­lat­er­al cor­ti­cal re­or­gan­iz­a­tion,” or wide­spread changes in brain wir­ing[/size]

Quote:http://www.psychologytoday.com/collections/201106/how-music-molds-your-mind

Can music slow down the aging process?

Is music an essential ingredient that has been a driving force in human evolution  .The elements that come together to define what we call music being the same patterns and force that has shaped  every thing .

All cultures contain  music.It's only been in recent times that western cultures have separated the music maker and the music listener . In some older cultures where music  has remained more intertwined with daily life  listening to music also means taking part in it's production in one way or another .In fact in some African cultures Today the Word Music and Dance are the same word.

In western cultures many people are separated  from the act  of music making and dancing  . There is the Artist/producer whom makes the music and then the listener whom listens to the music .Business strives to define Music has just another product , many Big Labels primarily use music  as a means to gain wealth.The western music industry being a massive Business enterprise where money is priority and   tries and succeeds to persuade the listeners to remain just that 'only passive listener's.There are very few lyrical songs in western culture that are about the actual content 'music'  .There is very little money to be made from selling music when communities freely coming together to make music  . Musics original use of social communication is being corrupted and it's uniting power being used to sell products ,veiling the fact that it's the music that gives us what we seek.

Children are brought up to be academic and seek worthwhile employment to help oil the machine of material growth even at the cost of there health and environments health .Our success being measured on our monetary value and the possessions we acquire, not on the substance   of our characters and generosity towards others .Time and time again it has become public knowledge that the people with the most power are corrupted and treat others the way they would not treat themselves .

Is a massive  music revolution the much needed energy western society needs in order to bring about a change.The change that will alter the way we care for ourselves individually and for the environment. Surely the FACT western culture has destroyed much of the planets natural Eco system & continues to do so is proof enough that we haven't yet learned what it actually means to look after ourselves  .A revolutionary change is needed to cure our sick society .

Is Music the Medicine ! .The Bond that can bring humanity Together .

united in music we shall succeed divided without music we shall fail .

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Yep. Music stimulates something in the brain. Listening to certain pieces of music can even decrease the feeling of pain. I don't know whether your brain is releasing more agents or it's just you're shifting your attention elsewhere, though.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19006_the-5-weirdest-ways-music-can-mess-with-human-brain.html

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:

Can music slow down the aging process?

Obviously no, it can't.

biggrin.gif

se

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh yea Obviously hehe .Well there is the living proof with Keith Richards that rock & roll music makes your skin wrinkle.

End of discussion ...?

.Or maybe he's got premature skin age-ing caused by smoking and or over exposure to the sun .

The stereo typical Rock star lifestyle of Drugs ,Fast cars and fast women is totally irrelevant in  the context of this thread .If that's your intoxication your not going to find anything here to stimulate your fixation .This thread is about music not the music industry & all that entails.

The previous  poster has actually highlighted how many "popular" forms of western music is performance based. Being produced more towards theatrical performance rather than musical depth, manufactured by corporate music labels, rather than  music being played in the community by the community for the wealth only of the community  .

Sharing music socially can be a experience that can be rewarding not only on a social level but also  a health level . Obviously the content of the music is an essential factor .We are wired for sound . Certain sounds make us feel different emotions .

It Doesn't take much insight to hear that listening to music that is relaxing can help you relax whilst listening to music which is energetic can stimulate you into being Energetic . Likewise, music with violent words and sounds can bring about acts of violence .

This is not only quite obvious it's also been replicated with test after test . The same results are shown with violent Computer games .Those whom play Violent computer Games have more Violent thoughts compared to those playing games that don't glorify acts of violence . Follows extreme sarcasm >>> well whom  could of guessed that .Violence in games or on film can be exciting but is not physiologically healthy. In the context of violence we have evolved with a fight or fight response . Thus watching violence for entertainment will eventually lead to a numbing down of the nervous system as people sitting and watching acts of violence don't take much if any action .

Especially the young being being witness too violence either directly or indirectly will believe that violence is acceptable and even normal after a certain amount of time .

Business is about the Business of making money . Nothing wrong with that, But when Business begins to make money without any ethical Boundaries then there is allot wrong with that and the people whom are making profits from these unethical practice's need to be made accountable for there business actions .Children are being sold violent music and violent games! by Adults ?.

Surely a corrupt free music Business would sell a more diverse choice of music ? . Music that is of the people . Music that is about our life's not the life's of some corrupted Rapper on there Juvenal quest for more money and cars .Children are sold this rubbish not because they freely choose it. but because it has been packaged and sold using psychological hooks and is readily available and played on radio,radio that is so controlled no other musical genres gets a chance  .Thus another western child is signed up for life to the buy,consume and burn mentality that keeps the economy £healthy£ .

How Deep does the corrupt Rabbit hole go ? . In a system that is obviously corrupt at the very top, it can only be the honest people at the bottom that are holding them up.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Please fix the punctation and use of whitespace in your posts.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm not going to comment on the request for grammatical and layout changes. I will question if the topic belongs in this particular subsection of the forum. It seems to more of a socio-political rant based on non science. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Children are brought up to be academic and seek worthwhile employment to help oil the machine of material growth even at the cost of there health and environments health .Our success being measured on our monetary value and the possessions we acquire, not on the substance   of our characters and generosity towards others .Time and time again it has become public knowledge that the people with the most power are corrupted and treat others the way they would not treat themselves .

Is a massive  music revolution the much needed energy western society needs in order to bring about a change.The change that will alter the way we care for ourselves individually and for the environment. Surely the FACT western culture has destroyed much of the planets natural Eco system & continues to do so is proof enough that we haven't yet learned what it actually means to look after ourselves  .A revolutionary change is needed to cure our sick society .

Is Music the Medicine ! .The Bond that can bring humanity Together .

My brother turned me on to this recently. playingforchange.com

I say yes!

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
My brother turned me on to this recently. playingforchange.com

I say yes!

Sharing the Sound
dt880smile.png
  and spreading equality

Thanks for adding some real Substance
beerchug.gif
http://playingforchange.com/

Quote:Jadeeast
I'm not going to comment on the request for grammatical and layout changes. I will question if the topic belongs in this particular subsection of the forum. It seems to more of a socio-political rant based on non science.

Strong words .You seem to be  suggesting you know the correct political path based on science.The ONLY political party I know of that roots it's ideals in the science of nature is the Green Party

http://www.globalgreens.org/

What have you actually read about recent findings in the neuroscience of music?

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Strong words .You seem to be  suggesting you know the correct political path based on science.The ONLY political party I know of that roots it's ideals in the science of nature is the Green Party

http://www.globalgreens.org/

What have you actually read about recent findings in the neuroscience of music?

I've made no such clams as to any correct interpretation, I simply question if the subject and your topic is appropriate for this science subsection. Your topic -in my opinion- seems to fit better elsewhere. I have no need to tell you what I've read as far as the latest neuroscience on music: because it is not what you are talking about. I've see no discussion on your part of neuroscience. I see some socio-political talk and that is my point.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 11
So lets get on with the point of life shall we IMO

There is growing evidence, not only in neuroscience I might add ,that music is not merely a  side product of evolution .Findings in neuroscience are showing that there are parts of the brain which are specialized simply for listening to music.This suggests that music has taken some part in the evolution  of the Brain.The aforementioned book 'This Is Your Brain On Music' highlights more about these findings .
Music is found throughout all human cultures on  planet Earth .Some of the very oldest human made artifacts found have been  musical instruments.

Quote:http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/1999/bnlpr092299.html
Bone flute found in China at 9,000-year-old Neolithic site

It would be reasonable to suggest that there has been  many simpler  instruments that came before a flute,like drums for example, made out of wood and animal skin that have long perished .Music has been part of human culture for a very long time .So the evidence suggests that music is not a passing phase of human culture.Maybe music is then a inherent part of what makes us "human" .Possibly even being the catalyst that moved our species onto more "human" cultures  .T
Not long ago such claims would of been dismissed as been very presumptuous .neuroscience however is backing up the "theories" some people instinctively  feel. These people refer to life as the Rhythm of life.

If neuroscience moves onto discovering that the brain essentially is a  instrument.A moving Biological Mechanism that is founded on the principles of Rhythm, Rhythm is timing. This will also mean Then that the environment that shaped the brain was also acting within similar  laws .I have believed for a long time that life is a movement of Rhythmical matter- Music! . Many people  have not acquired the musical language in order to contemplate music at any more of a level then entertainment. .Something they have on in the background or something they use to alter there emotions without ever questioning or listening deeper why it alters there emotions .

Even though some people may refute science ,especially the parts they find hard to accept on an emotional level,scientific discovery is what moves humanity on to new plateaus . Be it the discovery of a new medicine that cures a plague or a microchip that transforms the way many live there daily life's . We trust in science because it shows us evidence that it does work and if used wisely does brighten and warm up not only our homes but our life's .

All the "moving patterns" that are part of all scientific study,whether these patterns be the activity of Neurons in the brain or the Hydrogen Atoms of the Sun,they  are all connected.They  have similar form & are like the structures that can be heard in sound .
As these moving patterns become more organized they take on  more of a musical nature .

The Brain is a highly organized Instrument / Dance! .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back