Are you hardcore?
May 3, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 25
always carry a cell phone AND a spare battery. always carry a walkie talkie and a mirror (for signalling) and flares.

May 3, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 25
wow, cut his arm off, climbed down, and walked a couple of miles, and then got rescued...

I would've passed out long before... I mean, all the way though bones and all with a pocket knive... *faints*

May 3, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 25
How the hell do you even cut through bone with a pocket knife? I want to know what kind of knife that was -- the manufacturer should use him in their ads.
wink.gif

kerely

May 3, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
How the hell do you even cut through bone with a pocket knife? I want to know what kind of knife that was -- the manufacturer should use him in their ads.
wink.gif

kerely

Hehe. I can see it now... 'Knives so sharp you can cut your own arm off!!'
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 25
I just want to know the make of the knife so i can get one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Maybe one of those ginzu knives - the ones they used to advertise that would cut through anything (not sold in stores but if you order now.....) but butter

May 3, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 25
As wallijohn implied, I wonder what this guy was carrying in the way of emergency communication. Even though he was only planning on a day-trip, surely a mobile phone would be the minimum safety net - although in a canyoning situation, reception would probably be medicore at best.

Low-tech stuff like mirrors/whistles are good, so long as there is someone close by to hear/see you.

With regard the pocket knife, I wonder whether the Swiss Army knives that come with a small saw (serated teeth) would be sufficient to cut through bone. Oh the pain...
frown.gif

May 3, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 25
No use giving advice after the fact, the dude's arm is already off! Besides, he doesn't sound like the kinda guy to read the Head-Fi boards. Also, I read in the LA Times today that this guy is a very experienced climber and mountaineer, having ascended many of Colorado's 14,000 ft peak solo and in wintertime. He sure has some cojones.

Which brings me to my question: what headphones would you want to use to drown out your cries as you slowly slice through your arm? I'd prolly go with a closed can like the HD280. But I'd want lots of bass to make sure I couldnt hear the slicing. Still, the 280 might be kinda bulky for hiking. Opinions?
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 25
My guess is that he wrapped the tourniquet first, let the feeling and circulation go first, then with a lot less pain cut off what remained of his arm. Two days of having that boulder crush the life out of his arm might have helped with the deadening of some pain. While still painful these steps would have lessenned the pain a bit by all but killing the part of his arm that was left and reducing the bleeding also.

Brave as can be, and a bold move that saved his life, but with his engineering background I'm sure he figured out what he had to do and went about it methodically as possible. My hat's off to this guy for what he had to do, and the fact that he survived the ordeal. Incredible story and a happy ending.

May 3, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 25
I always carry a chainsaw, some whisky, loads of bandages, some duck tape, a set of surgeons knifes, a 498 piece tool set, 4 mobile phones, a GSP, sutures, a laptop and a 4 man tent with me everytime I walk my dog........ you can never be "too prepared"

On a serious note the guy must have really had a lot of courage to cut his own arm off...... just imagine being faced with that :frowning2:(

May 4, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 25
Unholy carp! That's hardcore.

WRT emergency communication equipment -- cell phones don't necessarily "reach" some of those places. Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
My guess is that he wrapped the tourniquet first, let the feeling and circulation go first, then with a lot less pain cut off what remained of his arm...

Mountaineer: Dam! Wish I'd thought of that...

No, seriously, the guy survived, he wouldn't have otherwise. In hindsight, he's amazing. And the courage!...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back