Are you getting/have you gotten the H1N1 flu vaccine?
Oct 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #91 of 155
The deal with the swine flu (according to my paramedic buddy) is that 1 in every 10,000 people that get it will have respiratory problems for the rest of their life as opposed to 1 in 53,000 for the regular flu. That being said, no I wont get the vac. I don't believe in that kind of stuff. The people that are getting affected by this the most are people who don't take care of themselves or their immune systems. I think this is just another one of Big Papa Pharma's money making schemes that prey on Americans love for quick fixes and lack of responsibility for their own health. But that's just me.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #92 of 155
I got my injection of formaldehyde, mercury, dead viruses, and some other stuff today, paid for by Canadian taxpayers to prop up Big Pharma.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lots of people in this thread
The media is hyping this up, and therefore I'm not going to listen to what most doctors are saying.

Yes, the media is hyping this up, but so are all five medical doctors in my family, none of whom get their medical information from the mainstream media. Most people who get H1N1 get a mild flu, but those that get more than a mild flu tend to get hit really hard. 50% of the people who are hospitalized from this flu end up in Intensive Care, and 50% of all pregnant women who are hospitalized from this flu lose their babies (source = the aforementioned medical professionals in my family). If you choose not to get the shot, do these people a favour and stay home if you get sick!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lots of people in this thread
I'm going to just take care of my immune system instead of getting the shot.

What do you think a vaccine does if not strengthen your immune system?

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #93 of 155
Got both flu vaccines on the same day on different arms:seasonal and H1N1. No problems here. If you must choose, get the H1N1 as the majority of the stuff out there right now is H1N1.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #98 of 155
What's with the evil red skull?

The regional newspapers are making a big deal about it, and for the fall term my university has made an allowance for students to be able to miss any exam or assignment without a doctor's note. Makes perfect sense, but seems a bit drastic no?

I don't think I'll be getting the vaccine, part of my reason stems from being young and feeling slightly invincible (made bolder by the fact that the majority of cases are mild) and partly from fear of complications due to the vaccine.

I did travel to California this summer without ill effect, however, it seems that H1N1 has hit south east Ontario in a big way.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #99 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you asked in such a nice fashion
wink.gif

Yes, I may be rough around the edges, but that is part of my appeal
tongue.gif

Quote:

I choose not to take the vaccine because I have never once in my life had a major illness of any kind and have never once taken a vaccination beyond the age of 12. I don't take so much as an aspirin either and get nothing more than the occasional sniffle. If I don't need to take a medication or vaccination, I simply choose not to.

Everyone is personally responsible for themselves and has every right to choose what they wish to do. If people are so worried about the swine flu, they can protect themselves from irresponsible people such as myself.

I can appreciate your apprehension based on your past heath record, but that is just you. Yes, people are free to do as they wish regarding the shot, but acidbasement really says it best:

"Most people who get H1N1 get a mild flu, but those that get more than a mild flu tend to get hit really hard. 50% of the people who are hospitalized from this flu end up in Intensive Care, and 50% of all pregnant women who are hospitalized from this flu lose their babies (source = the aforementioned medical professionals in my family). If you choose not to get the shot, do these people a favour and stay home if you get sick!"

It's not about just you. Please do not think I am singling you out, but I am presenting this as a more outward statement. You may be fine, but unless you want to quarantine yourself every time you get the sniffles, you are putting others at risk by carrying it or at least transferring it. Newborns cannot get this vaccination, and it is recommended that pregnant women not get it as well last I checked. It is easy to say that those who are concerned should just get it, but there are those who cannot get it or at least strongly urged not to.

Quote:

That is thinking for yourself, not following the CDC and the media...

Touche, my friend
tongue.gif

I am thinking for myself by thinking of the safety of others who cannot get the shot. Unless there are adverse health effects (I am not aware of any), there is no reason NOT to.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #100 of 155
I am pleased my immune system has kept most bugs at bay for my adult life. I think it wise to skip the vaccination. If I am find myself getting sick I'll certainly stay home (assuming I am not in real trouble) and use the many sick days I have accumulated.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #102 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I may be rough around the edges, but that is part of my appeal
tongue.gif

I can appreciate your apprehension based on your past heath record, but that is just you. Yes, people are free to do as they wish regarding the shot, but acidbasement really says it best:

"Most people who get H1N1 get a mild flu, but those that get more than a mild flu tend to get hit really hard. 50% of the people who are hospitalized from this flu end up in Intensive Care, and 50% of all pregnant women who are hospitalized from this flu lose their babies (source = the aforementioned medical professionals in my family). If you choose not to get the shot, do these people a favour and stay home if you get sick!"

It's not about just you. Please do not think I am singling you out, but I am presenting this as a more outward statement. You may be fine, but unless you want to quarantine yourself every time you get the sniffles, you are putting others at risk by carrying it or at least transferring it. Newborns cannot get this vaccination, and it is recommended that pregnant women not get it as well last I checked. It is easy to say that those who are concerned should just get it, but there are those who cannot get it or at least strongly urged not to.

Touche, my friend
tongue.gif

I am thinking for myself by thinking of the safety of others who cannot get the shot. Unless there are adverse health effects (I am not aware of any), there is no reason NOT to.

No one ever called me "Mr. Congeniality" either
smile.gif

You have your way, I have mine. I have no issue with people who choose to take the shot. From my perspective, I will not take anything foreign to my body unless I absolutely have to.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #103 of 155
Quote:

Everyone is personally responsible for themselves and has every right to choose what they wish to do. If people are so worried about the swine flu, they can protect themselves from irresponsible people such as myself.

That is thinking for yourself, not following the CDC and the media...

Wow, i cannot believe the responses in this thread. Please people get vaccinated, then you can laugh at the media for making such a big deal about it. But if no one is gonna get vaccinated then yes this will turn into the pandemic that they are talking about.

Please people go get vaccinated, dont spread it around dont let that have the possibility of happening. I dont care how healthy you think you are and how immune you think you are, but if you dont get vaccinated you are killing children.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #104 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently school's having it tomorrow....should I go?

Depends. Every time I skip the flu shot I'm just fine, and every time I get it I almost immediately get sick for anywhere from a week to a full month. The doctors claim it's a coincidence, I say that it temporarily weakens my immune system for long enough to get sick with something else.

If flu shots don't make you sick enough to miss school like they do for me, go ahead.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #105 of 155
I am not getting the vaccine, mostly because I feel that it isnt necessary (I'm perfectly healthy, in shape (sort of), and eat properly.

My school recently had 3 days of 350+ people missing (total pop. of school is only 1100)
all with the Swine Flu.
I was not one of them.

I hate Media Hype. Basically, unless you are of high risk, you don't HAVE to get the vaccine.

And none of these vaccines are dangerous! It is made EXACTLY the same as the seasonal flu vaccine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back