Are you backing up your digital collection ?
May 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #46 of 85
OK, that last photo of a massive disk array convinced me that some might have put a little *too much* thought into this !

May 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #47 of 85
Heh, that's just ONE of his racks. I think he has about 112TB in total. Crazy. Home storage is really serious biz for some. Storing 1000 CDs takes up a fairly small amount of memory, even in FLAC/ALAC. Storing 1000 Blu Rays on the other hand...

I don't think I'd ever go further than this myself:

May 12, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #50 of 85
I keep all of my music/pictures on two 1.5TB externals that are set in raid 1. My two computers are both backed up the a 1TB time machine drive. 

I also have a media server I use for TV  and Movies. It has eight 2TB drives ZFS in raid 1+0. I have an extra spare drive to swap out should one have problems. I only have enough space in the box to add two more drives at most. After that I would have to build another one. I am running low on space too.

Eventually I will build another server to back up to and keep offsite. I will likely do the same thing for my 1.5TB drive; a SSD kept at a friends house should do fine.

May 13, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #52 of 85
yes of course I'm backing up my files.

1tb is now cheap. You dont need to do it every day, nor week, but every month is just smart, u never know when a virus will eat you

May 13, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #53 of 85
Every month? If we're talking about just music yeah sure fair enough as I only add albums maybe one or two a month but the rest of my system is backed up hourly. No way would I risk losing everything for the past month. Would barely be any better than having only lost everything when it comes to my work files. Even a full day is enough to make me scream.

May 13, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #54 of 85
Every 4 hours or every time the computer's idle. At most, that's one every 10 minutes.

That's only changes to files.
Music is every time i close foobar 2k.

Torrents are constant backup

Registry changes is when it happens with my permission.

May 13, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #55 of 85
Yep, incremental backups make a lot more sense than 'scratch' backups. Run Linux and the chances that you are backing up anything malevolent are very slim (certainly not 'zero' as some of the zealots would have you believe tho). Linux really is tailor made for storage wonks but personally I couldnt be bothered endlessly tinkering with 10,000+ line Perl scripts simply to ensure that I have a valid backup.

May 13, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #56 of 85

Quote:
Yep, incremental backups make a lot more sense than 'scratch' backups. Run Linux and the chances that you are backing up anything malevolent are very slim (certainly not 'zero' as some of the zealots would have you believe tho). Linux really is tailor made for storage wonks but personally I couldnt be bothered endlessly tinkering with 10,000+ line Perl scripts simply to ensure that I have a valid backup.

Agreed. It's one thing to have to enter in a few commands in Terminal or CMD Prompt, it's entirely another to have to run these complicated backup scripts. Then, the world of Linux birthed ZFS so there may just be something to this insane level of data protection. Heck, the latest versions of ZFS support encryption, which would be very nice.

May 13, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #57 of 85

Agreed. It's one thing to have to enter in a few commands in Terminal or CMD Prompt, it's entirely another to have to run these complicated backup scripts. Then, the world of Linux birthed ZFS so there may just be something to this insane level of data protection. Heck, the latest versions of ZFS support encryption, which would be very nice.

ZFS isn't available on Linux for as far as I know? I thought ZFS comes from Sun. Not entirely sure though. It's been a while since I last used solaris.

May 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #58 of 85
For my music, I have an off-site backup (carbon copy of my iTunes directory hooked up to my work PC, updated whenever I import a bunch of new CDs), but my documents and other files... I have another external hard drive for those, but it's hooked up to my PC most of the time.

...Yeah, it's not exactly hazard-safe. Well, at least I'm protected from crashes. All it takes is a double-click, and everything is backed up (thank you, batch files).

May 13, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #59 of 85

I backup all my media... I don't need to learn the hard way.  All my music, videos, documents and pictures are on a RAID 1 array (two mirrored drives) in my desktop PC.  I keep a third copy of that drive at work.  Parts of my music collection are also on portable devices and laptops.
Quote:
I work in a role where we feel the impact of 'bad batches' from hard drive manufacturers, and its never a happy day when someone comes in, on the verge of tears, and tells you that all their wedding photos/kids birthday parties etc are on that dead hard drive. For Head-Fiers with thousands of albums on disk, it would have to rank somewhere up there with the loss of a limb.

May 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #60 of 85

Quote:
ZFS isn't available on Linux for as far as I know? I thought ZFS comes from Sun. Not entirely sure though. It's been a while since I last used solaris.

No, you're right. I knew it was from Sun but for some reason I kept thinking it was on Linux primarily. It's OpenSolaris, which, I guess, isn't technically Linux? I have to admit I'm not a part of the Linux world so I really don't know much beyond Ubuntu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back