are you a silver guy or a copper guy? and why?
Apr 18, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #17 of 26
On my current rig, copper. The basswarmth complements my Rega Apollo, the extended treble of silver gives too much treble from the system.
But before the Apollo, I had the Planet. That had a severly rolled off treble, silver ICs gave the best results.
I do not like silverplated copper, always seems to give too much midtreble to my ears.

I like braided teflon plated stuff, Kimber is my favorite brand.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 26
I like silver over copper myself, but especially silver with cotton insulation.
biggrin.gif
very detailed and neutral. I've never heard a copper cable come close

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 26
Depends on my set up. I prefer some form of copper (Perhaps plated) with my brighter Qualias and silver with my HD650s. A cable for every situation. No one cable to dominate them all!

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #20 of 26
Pure silver. To my ears it output more details and the highs are clearer.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #21 of 26
Try to get both especially if one has several set of phones.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An alloy of some kind will be needed to "cover all bases." I'm fond of alloys containing Palladium (and/or Platinum) mixed with copper and silver.

Since these tend to be pretty expensive, I stick with pure silver as a second-best type of choice.

If the system dictates that a bit 'extra' warmth or glow would be helpful, all-copper continuous cast stuff is my choice.

The silver-plated copper is my least favorite, but "silver-clad" copper that Nordost uses is pretty decent
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's not forget gold, though. Not neutral enough alone, it can do some magic when mixed with proper amount of silver somewhere... (a la Siltech)

Hmm, i used to have solid core silver, wich were awefull in the extreem highs and lows. Especially highs were way too harsh. The new solid core silver cables are better nowadays. I prefer silver plated copper. Best of both, silver can be harsh sounding or too soft! I tried it all and stick with silver plated copper.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, i used to have solid core silver, wich were awefull in the extreem highs and lows. Especially highs were way too harsh. The new solid core silver cables are better nowadays. I prefer silver plated copper. Best of both, silver can be harsh sounding or too soft! I tried it all and stick with silver plated copper.

I hear people say that SPC is the best of both... but if the signal travels on the outside of the conductor it travels on the silver plating. And to me solid silver sound much, much better then SPC.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 26
I was a silver guy before. Loved the clarity but it was bit harsh for me.Now i am solid core pure surface copper plus guy.copper has solved that problem and bass is very good and tight. So i don't miss silver anymore.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who prefer copper over silver, or vice versa, what is it that you prefer?

Depends on where/for what and with which components. For line interconnects, I prefer both pure and silver plated copper to pure silver simply due to better price/performance. For phono interconnects (from turntable to phono-stage), the conductor material is less important than the electrical parameters of the cable construction (e.g. low capacity for mm pickups), anyway. However, pure silver can be a good idea for tonearm and headshell cables (i.e. the cabling inside the arm and those four tiny cables for connecting the pickup).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back