Are You a Procrastinator? I am!
Aug 27, 2004 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Alex Altorfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Headfellows,

I was wondering how many of you here have problems with procrastination. Well, I suspect a high postcount is symptomatic of procrastination habits so I figure many of us do. I certainly do. Sometimes I just put off something very important forever while focusing on urgent but less important tasks. There always seems to be an urge to wait until "tomorrow" to begin something, and of course "tomorrow" only arrives when it’s almost too late to get it done. And sometimes it IS too late.

I’d also be interested in knowing what you believe to be the reason for your procrastination. I believe mine is related to the fact that I’m an only child and while I was growing up my mother always did everything for me. I always got everything I wanted without any effort. All I had to do was ask my parents. Maybe that’s why I’m so lazy. Sometimes I feel really bad about this. It makes me feel useless and incompetent.

Perhaps you could also suggest strategies to cope with procrastination in case you have successfully experimented with any.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 17
I'm a procrastinator, everything from filing year end taxes to everyday chores I procastinate and put it off. I guess my reason for procrastinating is that I always put off things I don't really like doing until I have no choice and am forced to do it. I rather use the time to do something else much more enjoyable such as listening to music.

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBomm
I'll tell you about it tomorrow.
tongue.gif

Hey, that was my answer.
I suppose if I had posted when I first thought to, I would have posted before you.
icon10.gif

Procrastination is one of my strongest traits. I have a package on the back porch that is the trim work for my front door. The front door hasn't had trim for 5 years. I finally bought this trim earlier this year. I'm hoping to install it some time before Christmas.

I don't have any strategy for overcoming procrastination. I have been trying to do a little bit at a time on some projects, rather than attempt the whole thing all at once. That at least gets something done, but it hasn't been working very well.

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 17
I have exactly the same problem, plus I am a perfectionist, so I do many things in my life carefully and precisely, but slowly
rolleyes.gif
. I need to adopt more from the 80/20 principle, set up the priorities and improve the time management
cool.gif

Prof. Parkinson's first sentence in his famous book tells us the truth: "Our work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 17
What got me to stop procrastinating during the school year was simple: don't do it, or screw up your grades. I got absolutely swamped with work, and if I didn't space out assignments into 2, preferably 3, days, I'd be sleep deprived or unable to enjoy my weekend.

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 17
Wow i think i should be added to the top of the list. lol. dont even wanna talk about it. haah

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 17
My motto for a long time has been, "Don't worry about it. It'll get done eventually." After my first 2 years of college, and being sleep deprived for pretty much theentire duration of it, I just can't take it anymore. Sleeping less than 2 hours a day for a week and a half straight is hell, though I enjoyed every second of my nonproductive hours.
biggrin.gif
My procrastination hasn't been that big of a problem thus far, because I can usually get by with just natural smarts and ability, (I was "blessed" with insomnia, making those all nighters a little easier
tongue.gif
) which is what I did through high school. But this summer, I just realized that if I don't stop dicking around, I could actually fail out of college (which a good friend of mine did) when I should be doing very well. This also coincided with some significant changes (individual, family, etc). Basically, procrastination requires some sort of epiphany or moment of realization to overcome. At least, that's the only thing that has worked for me. I mean, all us lazy bums know what we should be doing, and even though we might want to change, it's not quite that easy. Another thought is that you can always procrastinate later...a bit of a paradox there...
rolleyes.gif

the Judge

Aug 27, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 17
I hate being a procrastinator. When I was really young I used to get straight A's + B's in school. Did all my work to best of my ability. Then I got a super nintendo. Thus it began. Mario and Donkey Kong held me down afternoon til morning. Then when I was finally freed of their devish grasps, their friends Megaman and Link would come over.

Later on I continued to procrastinate because I pretty much hated everything and everyone. I just didn't care about schoolwork anymore. I realized how crappy the world really is. Now, I feel differently somewhat, but I'm still a lazy person! Hazzah!

Aug 27, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #12 of 17
Screw around until test fails. Study. Pass. Don't study. Fail. Repeat.
biggrin.gif

I'm well on my way to realising my dream of being the only head floor cleaner (with my own cupboard!) at McDonalds...... I would study, but there's something else to do
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 17
I love procrastination.
biggrin.gif

I do finish whatever is needed to be done on time though, and usually do more than is required.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 17
I'm glad to see I'm not alone. What often bothers me about my own procrastination is that after I finally am backed into a corner and am forced by time constraints to complete some long put-off task, I often realize it wasn't such a big (difficult, boring, time consuming) job after all. There's always a sense of relief that the avoided task was finally completed and I always wind up asking myself, "why didn't I do this sooner?"

Aug 27, 2004 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 17
Hey, My brain doesn't work if I'm not on my last minute deadline
tongue.gif
I remembered when I was in college, I can't do any assignment when I still have like 2-3 days to deadline, I can't think what to do with the assignment eventhough I've forced myself to do it, my brain just does not work, but the night before deadline, it's like my brain is on fire, every sentence to write for essay or every answers for assignment is just come out of nowhere
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back