Are you a problem thinker?
Jul 7, 2003 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
--
It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."

"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But Honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door.

I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with NPR on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed.

To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking!
--
Original text (found at Audio Asylum)

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 15
at Sony my problem was that I would meditate all the time.
biggrin.gif
every second that I got I would meditate. the boss thought that I was sleeping every chance I got.

I asked him how I could be asleep if my back is straight and my head did not bob / droop down? Just at that same time one of my customers said to him, "Can't you see he's meditating?" bless her.

I find that thinking hurts. Ever tried to go to sleep and you can't because you're thinking too much? So now I meditate while I sleep. I just look at the thoughts and try not to get involved with them.

if you think too much you may end up getting drunk just so you can turn off the thinking process for a few days. it's either that or a nice 5 mile hike - or anything that will wear out the body. no, 10 minutes of sex won't do it. (which is why I am into tantra.
wink.gif
).

what's the meaning of life? sex.

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 15
But thinking is fun.

I think, therefore I am.

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 15
The more I think about everything, the less sense it all makes.

The meaning of life as far as I'm concerned is music but with more, erm, experience perhaps I might agree with wallijohn
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by dohminator
I think, therefore I am.

You only think you are.
biggrin.gif

Every one thinks differently. So everyone is different. You think you are different. But because you think you are different, you are the same as everyone else (who thinks they are different).

see if you can not think. then you are unique.
biggrin.gif

it's a lot harder than you think.
biggrin.gif

Star Wars Master Joda: "Do not think. Do."

It's nice to think that you are unique. Just know that everyone else is unigue.
biggrin.gif

And so everyone is the same.

biggrin.gif

the slow wind passes.
can anyone hear it? feel it.
walk slow. think slow. swoosh.

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 15
Here's another one from Audio Asylum with a different kind of problem haha!
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
...with NPR on the radio.

More like the best way to stop thinking and become a vegetable!

Funny read, though. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 15
DanG, you hit that one square in the jaw. NPR=thinking, is about as true as McDonalds=5 star restaurant.

I once had a boss that told me, "I don't pay you to think!" I knew it was time to find a new job! The scary part is that it was when I managed a high-end audio salon! No wonder audiophiles have so many bad dealer stories.

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
what's the meaning of life? sex.

what's the meaning of life? money.

we all got to have our priorities.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
what's the meaning of life? money.

we all got to have our priorities.
tongue.gif

About money:

Neither wealth nor poverty is inherently moral or immoral. Rather Proverbs teaches us that righteous men use their possessions righteously, and unrighteous men use their possessions unrighteously. Money is a tool for one or the other: it can be used to advance good, noble, godly purposes, or selfish, unloving and wicked ones. But the heart of man, not money, is the problem.

We should not romanticize poverty or riches. Proverbs is uncomfortably realistic. Poverty is a disability, and money affords protection from misfortune, brings authority and power, and wins friends. On the other hand, wealth buys “fair weather” friends, brings tension and anxiety, deceives with false security, and encourages high-handedness.

Jul 7, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 15
I am not realy a thinker, I am problem planer.

I might start planing very detailend plans about various things if I catch enought intresting subject. Example:

Friend of mine had read about statue being stolen from some park, so he wondered could statue be stolen from marketplace in our hometown. I started planing it, I planed what equipment is needed, what schedule, where to go from where and so on. Next day I gave him the plan on paper.

Another time my friend was wondering how to freeze liquid he was making realy fast. So i planned cooling system that almost froze it when it did go trought the tube and then it needed very litle energy and time when it hit freezed container. The problem part is Planning, when i start planning istkinda comes like obsession, i will use hours and hours straight to plan a solution.

Jul 7, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 15
I would say meaning of life to be energy, energy in our lifes works as power, and sex is way to use power so is money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back