Are you a Pro, a Hobbiest, or a One Timer
Oct 22, 2004 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

knestle

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just wondering what the percentages are in this group.

How would you classify yourself?

1. Professional:
Actually making a living (or at least a decent profit) from the DIY(?) scene.

2. Hobbiest:
Long term involvment with electronics and multiple builds/projects.

3. One Timer:
(like me), doing a one and only project for a specific need.

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 20
I've built very simply from scratch, I've built kits, but mostly I try to build what I need that no one else builds and to modify what I own so that it works and sounds better. I have enjoyed unreasonably good luck. I think that's an amateur.

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 20
I just had to look in here...I couldn't figure out what Hobbits had to do with Pros and Amateurs. Then I realized that it must be past my bedtime.
icon10.gif

BTW, Springer Spaniels ROCK!

-Drew

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 20
I'm strictly a One Timer.

My Archos doesn't put out enough volume to overcome road/vehicle noise, and the volume control is a dedicated endevor every time (you can't adjust it with one hand while driving). Also I figured I might get better quality sound with an amp.

So the PIMETA is a one time project to solve an immidiate need.

I really enjoy projects (designing, choosing parts, collecting parts, and seeing everything come together). Unfortunately I am hampered here by a basic ignorance of electroincs (as anyone whe has read my posts will know), and I have way too many other interests. So this will probably be my only electronic DIY project.

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 20
i both make money and do this for a hobby but i dont make much money and all this is fed back into my personal projects anyway

i've made about 15 amps for others so far with about $30AUD average (some more, some less) ontop of what parts cost me

my love is for electronics and audio is a great way to appreciate the results

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 20
driving with headphones in, and trying to crank it to overcome external noise.. anyone else see a problem here?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 20
what's a one timer. I was a one timer once. That was before the mint, the gilmore, the other gilmore...

Mayb u should change it to "one timer not yet fighting with additiction" or "one timer by way of not having the money to acutally persue this."

Oct 22, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 20
I voted long term involvement, even though I haven't even finished my first headphone amp. But did the mods on my Toshiba, and I definitely will keep doing DIY electronics for a long time, I enjoy it a lot. After the Dynahi, my next project will most likely be to build a high power speaker amplifier.

Oct 22, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
driving with headphones in, and trying to crank it to overcome external noise.. anyone else see a problem here?
smily_headphones1.gif

Already covered in another thread, but here's my thinking.

YES, I see the problem here. I'm already deaf in one ear (an infection several years ago), and I'm not risking any damage to the other.

That's why I bought the iPod In-Ear Headphoes. I was hoping to seal out the external noise and thus be able to listen at a lower volume.

But:
A. They don't seal.
2. They will not stay in (I've pushed them in until it hurts, and they instantly slide out again).

My next shot is substituing the Shure e2C foams to see if that will solve both problems.

Oct 22, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 20
ive heard those complaints many times regarding the apple in-ears.. id suggest trying out another pair if the other tips dont do the trick..

i must've missed that thread.. but why are you driving with headphones in the first place, dont you think it's a little dangerous? if you drown out the external noises, you wont be able to hear your car, other people's cars/honking, people shouting, sirens, etc, etc... on the rare occassion that you'd have to, but still...

Oct 22, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
but why are you driving with headphones in the first place, dont you think it's a little dangerous? if you drown out the external noises, you wont be able to hear your car, other people's cars/honking, people shouting, sirens, etc, etc... on the rare occassion that you'd have to, but still...

The van is so noisy that it's nearly impossible to hear anything anyway.

On the plus side: I am one of those drivers who is actually paying attention to what is happening around me. Not to brag, but I have been complimented several times by passengers on my visual awareness, and my response to developing 'situations'.

I haven't had an accident since my crazy teens (quite a long stretch for me).

Oct 22, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 20
Pro hobyist.
biggrin.gif

The slim profits from amp sales go into other projects....they also go to community based things like helping other forum members get there amps working.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 20
i consider myself a "therapeutist" i play with diy electronics to soothe myself and relieve stress. although it often creates stress.

i can dissapear in to a world where all variables are known and constant (in theory
wink.gif
)

i get some cool stuff out of it at the end too...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #14 of 20
ATM a once off, but becoming a hobbiest (collecting parts for next project as we speak).

Its something that keeps me off the computer, and even my non-geek friends appreciate what i do.

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm a hobbiest, though I have made one or two amps for friends at near-cost. I've never studied electronics and before I got into this didn't know the difference between a volt and an amp, so the two main reasons I enjoy it are that I'm learning something new (and have the opportunity here to help others learn it as well, on occassion) and that I'm actually creating things that I enjoy using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back