Are you a musician?
May 24, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 68
I make noises with a few musical instruments but I certainly wouldn't call myself a musician.

...piano lessons starting at five and guitar starting at nine(even built my own classical guitar back in the 80s, but I wouldn't call myself a luthier)also spent a few years in choirs....but I wouldn't call myself a "musician" even though I play my ancient Gretsch through my MS-1 and MS2i now and then to qualify buying Alessandros!!

Ah, what the heck; guess I'll vote "yes" anyway.
tongue.gif

May 25, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 68
I thought I understood classical music until I attened some lectures on classical music at college. Boy was I ignorant. So I don't think that musicians understand more about music than non-musicians do even though it's usually the case.

May 25, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 68
Violin for 13 years; though I haven't touched it in the past couple of months since classes have gotten all-consuming.

May 25, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... i don't think.

We'll keep it our little secret...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #23 of 68
Going to Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music for piano performance.

Wish me luck!

Edit: it absolutely completely changes the way I listen to music. First of all, previously to really getting in-depth with piano, I couldn't differentiate between performances of classical music well beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it". Now, as far as the technical side of things goes, I'm much more aware. I was simply ignorant before (and I imagine I will look back upon myself as ignorant now in four more years!).

Also, now I have a LOT of trouble finding good recordings which I enjoy of peices I play. I think this goes back to the fact that when I play, I make the peice say exactly what I feel - and nobody else's recording is going to strike that same chord deep within me, because it's NOT what I feel. It really is a special gift being not only to listen to music and approximate it to your feelings, but to actually be able to make the music become what you feel. Absolutely sublime when you finally overcome the technical hurdles of a challenging peice and it just happens. It's a feeling that I think everyone should experience at least once.

May 25, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going to Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music for piano performance.

Wish me luck!

Edit: it absolutely completely changes the way I listen to music. First of all, previously to really getting in-depth with piano, I couldn't differentiate between performances of classical music well beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it". Now, as far as the technical side of things goes, I'm much more aware. I was simply ignorant before (and I imagine I will look back upon myself as ignorant now in four more years!).

Also, now I have a LOT of trouble finding good recordings which I enjoy of peices I play. I think this goes back to the fact that when I play, I make the peice say exactly what I feel - and nobody else's recording is going to strike that same chord deep within me, because it's NOT what I feel. It really is a special gift being not only to listen to music and approximate it to your feelings, but to actually be able to make the music become what you feel. Absolutely sublime when you finally overcome the technical hurdles of a challenging peice and it just happens. It's a feeling that I think everyone should experience at least once.

w00t, music majors ftw.

May 25, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #25 of 68
Guitarist for 25 years now.

Went to college and took some cool music classes. Learned I couldn't make any sort of a real living off of being a musician, not to mention the lifestyle that went along with it didn't suit me at all. So I quit trying to make it a full time profession. But I will play for my own enjoyment until the day I die. Music and guitar are my first loves.

May 25, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #26 of 68
Trumpet for 5 years, guitar for a week.

I have to say that playing music does give you greater enjoyment. Playing trumpet got me interested in music in the first place, and being able to play some guitar licks (very, very roughly-still a newb) from songs I know gives me a new connection to my music.

May 25, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #27 of 68
I've played flute for about 9 years, and tenor sax for significantly less than that.

I think anyone can appreciate music. However, I feel (though I don't know because I've been a musician forever) that playing music helps you appreciate music to a greater degree.

By playing music, you can develop an understanding of chord progessions, overtones, pitch, and if you play in an orchestra, you can point out any instrument's sound in a recording by hearing just one note. That may sound easy, but just yesterday, my boyfriend asked me what a basson was. And he's an audiophile.

May 26, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sing in a choir, but that doesn't count as being a musician... i don't think.

If you try to sing correctly, and take classical vocal training seriously, then absolutely the voice is the best instrument no amount of money can buy. It doesn't make you any less of a musician than anyone else who plays an instrument.

My main instruments are voice and clarinet (14 years and 21 years respectively). I suck hard at guitar, but baroque recorder is a lot of fun - easy to play but tough to play well.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can handle other woodwind instruments such as alto sax and alto and bass clarinet, of course some piano - just like everyone else. I've also done the woodwind-brass switch and marched mellophone.

But the main instrument is the voice, and that absolutely counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back