Are you a freak about your CDs? ;)
Feb 5, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 76
Well, the better care you give to something, the more likely they are to stick around and serve you well, noh? I mean if I went around dropping my CDs all the time on concrete I could imagine having to replace quite a number of CDs every month, versus having one CD serve my ears for a good 5 years or more.

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 76
OK, so I'm the only freak who can't stand oily fingerprints on my CD inserts
smily_headphones1.gif

Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised -- I also have all my CDs entered into a database on my computer, and stored alphabetically by genre
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised -- I also have all my CDs entered into a database on my computer, and stored alphabetically by genre
biggrin.gif

Ok before I didn't think you were a freak, but now I really think you're a freak.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 76
Hmm... I have all my mp3s stored alphabetically, by genre, but I'm too lazy to actually enter them all into a database. Ah, I know, I'll write a program or script to do it for me... umm, what's everybody looking at me for?
redface.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

No database, but they are stored alphabetically by genre.

I don't find that it's any effort to take care of CD's. It's also not a problem to take care of my boat, my car, my truck, my laptop, etc.

I paid too damned much for this "Stuff" to not care for it. I'm afraid it's just the way I was raised. I don't know any other way to do things.

Please don't start a flame thing about this, because I do not intend the above as a put down for anyone. It's just like I can't stand some of the, make that most of, New Music. Others love it. Their option.

Their option to care for their "Stuff" the way the choose. It's all personal preference, and that's mostly what these forums are about. Exchange of ideas. That's why I'm here every day. Yeah, sometimes I don't like your ideas, but these forums have helped me to respect your ideas more and hope that you respect mine.

So. I'm a little bit retentive about taking care of things.

Feb 5, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

Ok before I didn't think you were a freak, but now I really think you're a freak.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

LOL, thanks, Vert
wink.gif

I think I mentioned this before, but I used to work in a few places where I got tons of free CDs, so my collection got really big. Back in college, I had a roommate who used to steal CDs from me, but I had so many I didn't notice it right away. So I started to catalog them. Now I love it cuz I can type in a song title and figure out if I have it somewhere (especially handy for compilations/soundtracks/etc.

Feb 5, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #23 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Well, the better care you give to something, the more likely they are to stick around and serve you well, noh? I mean if I went around dropping my CDs all the time on concrete I could imagine having to replace quite a number of CDs every month, versus having one CD serve my ears for a good 5 years or more.

Not treating CDs with the utmost standard of care (the so called "MacDef S.O.C") is not the same as grossly negligent behavior such as intentionally touching them, laying them down where they will get stepped on, etc. With normal treatment which for me includes sometimes letting a CD lay open without its case for a few hours etc., I have had only 1 CD go bad on me in over 10 years of CD player ownership. But hey, I understand that taking care of things can be part of the fun.

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 76
stuff is there for use. if an MD dies (had one KIA
wink.gif
)or something, shame. I take good care of my MDP tho, mostly because it's a cool toy
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm very carefull with CDs too, some of em are somewhat hard to come by (like, you wont find em in stores, so not easily replaceable). not with inlays, they get fingerprints on em, but all they really do is sit in the case. I use em one time to read along with the lyrics if I feel I need to, but otherwise, they just stay put an look pretty
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised -- I also have all my CDs entered into a database on my computer, and stored alphabetically by genre...

Um...genre? I used to do that, but I gave it up...mostly...I only have a few genres: contemporary (most everything), classical, and a few odds and ends here and there (I keep all the FAX and Rather Interesting... separate, for obvious reasons to those who know; "seasonal" music; children's stories; I also keep all my MFSL, DCC, DAD's, etc. separate).

So what's your biggest genre, MacDEF, and do you differentiate between "pop" and "rock"? Are you a music person...erm...hussy, also, will listen to anything if it sounds good?

Feb 6, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
So what's your biggest genre, MacDEF, and do you differentiate between "pop" and "rock"? Are you a music person...erm...hussy, also, will listen to anything if it sounds good?

No, I actually group "rock" and "pop" together -- too difficult to figure out where the "line" is between them
wink.gif

I have more rock/pop than any other genre, mainly because that genre is so much less specific than the other genres (world music, r&b, rap, jazz, classical, industrial, soundtracks, compilations/various artists).

And, yes, I'm a music hussy, too
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 76
I have 60-70 cds grouped by genre, then furthermore by artist......

Tho all my Coltrane discs sit apart
smily_headphones1.gif

Interestingly, I am also anal retentive about my inserts' condition.

Even weirder is that I refuse to keep any CDs in my collection without a cover - including the 25 odd CDs i have in my collection that are simply a burn from the library's copy - I have photocopies for the covers and interesting liner notes.......

Feb 7, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #29 of 76
I don't worry about the inserts but I do keep a catalog. It ain't that difficult, I just use one of those CD player programs which accesses cddb or freedb and stores the info in a database (EAC does this). A lot easier than keeping track of my 45's which has to be done with my 'two chickens pecking at a keyboard' routine.
crk
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #30 of 76
I try to keep my cds scratchless but sometimes they still get scratched up for no reason. Oily prints are annoying but I don't get upset because of it and I try to keep my hands clean at all times (even my I touch my computer)
wink.gif
. I am a bit worried about cleaning my cds with water even though it is said to be safe, i just don't want my cds to rot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back