Are you a cover lover?
Jun 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 89

Quote:
http://lpcoverlover.com/2011/06/08/live-at-budokan

What is your favorite cover? (CD or LP).

I'm LFF and I'm a cover lover....

I have many favorite covers so I can't pick just one. Among them is this one....

Why? While Sinatra's position may be staged (he would actually sing off to the side behind a wooden baffle), all the other musicians are in their proper positions, including the great Nelson Riddle! Not only are they in their actual recording positions but you can actually see how the session was mic'd! You can actually tell that the entire drum kit was mic'd by only 1, that's right, ONE altec omni microphone. You can clearly see that the five saxes, with bass clarinet on stand-by, are all gathered around a single, bi-directional RCA 44 ribbon mic. You can also tell that the trombones are on a U47/48.

Not only that, but this cover really is a sneak peak into the actual recording session for one of the best Sinatra albums during the Capitol years. Hence why I love this cover so much!

EDIT: And just a note, this is actually the correct cover...all the ones that have been re-issued afterwards, including the UK reissues, have an altered cover.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 89
Hard to pick a favorite cover, but this one definitely come to mind first.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 89
Well, I guess it will show up sooner or later, so I might as well do it
smile.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 89
OK, you could say I'm a cover lover. I always keep my library up to date with the clearest digital copies of album covers and whatnot, even if the tags aren't correct. Also, when I play music, the largest part of my foobar setup is the artwork. I very recently jumped into physical recordings (yes, I'm young) because of my love of the cover art. 

A good cover to me is one that accurately conveys the style, sound, and possibly the overarching theme of the album on the cover. The best albums don't do this exactly, but rather add onto that experience, almost making the release somewhat a whole, cohesive package. In other words, you are missing part of that album by not having the cover in your hands and looking it over while listening to the album.

There are plenty of examples I could pull, but I'll choose this one because I like it.

Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

(on a side note, this album just slipped out of my reach. The last vinyl copy sold right before I could buy it off Amazon. Looks like I'll have to get it off of the scalpers on ebay. If you have a vinyl copy, PM me)

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 89
Another one of my favorites, due to it's simplicity and elegance....

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 89
I think Art Pepper looks cool here and a small glimpse into Contemporary's shipping room (aka their recording studio) is also kinda neat....

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 89
Aphex Twin - I Care Because You Do -

Wonderfully creepy oil painting of Richard D James with typical humour in the display of the barcode on the front covering part of the image!

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 89
Don't know why I love this cover so much. Maybe because it's so deceptive. The empty chair and guitar leaves the place for you to mentally put the artist and as this was his first album (I think?) it might bring an image of a wise and sedate old old man in a rocking chair .... so absolutely opposite the wild and dirty R&B Howlin Wolf bellows out. A classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back