Are we not enjoying music as we should?
Feb 17, 2007 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

exX08

500+ Head-Fier
Since I have wondered into the high quality sound world I am constantly asking myself to get some money together to upgrade new headphones. I can't enjoy them because I always wonder if there is anything better out there? I only have one set of nice headphones (ER4P) and although I love music, and always will, this question bugs me. So are the people that arn't head-fi'ians enjoying the music more than we are?

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 25
I for one haven't been enjoying my music like I used to because the focal point has been trying to find the "ideal" system! I am definitely fed up with that mode of thinking and have decided to just enjoy the tunes and stop chasing that damn dangling carrot! My current setup is worlds better (sonically) than it was when I first purchased my ipod, but I haven't been able to sit back and relax with it... well my friends, that's going to change! I'm done! From this point on, it's all about the music (and beer)... until some HOT NEW FOTM comes along!!! Bahaha... Of course I'm saying this during a lull in this hobby!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I have wondered into the high quality sound world I am constantly asking myself to get some money together to upgrade new headphones. I can't enjoy them because I always wonder if there is anything better out there? I only have one set of nice headphones (ER4P) and although I love music, and always will, this question bugs me. So are the people that arn't head-fi'ians enjoying the music more than we are?

The point of upgrading, at least in my view, is to get a more direct connection the music. To that end, each upgrade I've made has brought me closer to my music. Case in point: my SACD player just got in today, and I'm hearing new things in my well-worn Mozart's Requiem that I haven't heard before. So when you come to a point where upgrading no longer brings about that feeling of ever-greater connection with the music, I'd say it's time to stop. But until then, keep plugging away.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 25
Only if you let yourself listen to the gear instead of the music.

I was falling into the same hole, so I sold my expensive setup, downgraded, and listened to the music. I haven't been happier about my listening.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ignorance is bliss

going to concerts is the best way to enjoy music, imo

i went to a show last night and I realized how much we have left to go in terms of music reproduction. nothing can touch the sound of real drums and cymbals and guitars!

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 25
I'm almost done with upgraditis myself. My digital system is all done. I'm now quickly amassing a decent classical collection. Getting some new rock CDs as well: got back to the CD subscription services. So I'm definitely getting more into music! It's my vinyl rig that I'm still in a quandry about: I mainly got it so I could listen to old LPs. It definitely doesn't compete with my digital system. Well classical music is just so much more enjoyable on SACD or CD. My vinyl just seems to be missing some detail: it has some nice extension and soundstage, but now I feel like I need to get some extra detail be it a new cartridge or another headphone. Though with old rock and jazz LPs, I have been taping my foot though....so it's not all bad!

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

oh and you should check out my other thread in the members lounge about sometimes I enjoy music more on cruddy sony earbuds instead of high end gear just because MUSIC IS MUSIC

and yes there are many more people who arent head-fiers who enjoy music as much or more then we do.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ignorance is bliss

going to concerts is the best way to enjoy music, imo

I agree, ignorance is bliss, but I definitely disagree with concerts these days. Maybe it is because I am older or something but the thought of being in an overpopulated venue with tweens and teens drunk or high making complete fools of themselves all the while disturbing others around them who are trying not to go deaf from the ridiculous db levels... meh, at least for most rock/pop shows...I'm just done with it. I will attend a few more in my lifetime for the pure energy and the fact I want to see my favourite bands live at least once (so I need to see Radiohead when they come around these parts and maybe U2 again) but otherwise there isn't anyone I would venture out to see while jeopardizing my hearing.

Now...jazz and classic, unamped unsually (sometimes the jazz will be amped if there is electric guitar or electric bass) and in good sounding room, yeah nothing else like it for sure.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 25
well, i sold my xin supermicro, alo jena cryo, and sr225s shortly before i joined head-fi. i'm enjoying my music almost as much as i used to, and it doesnt bother me that i'm not getting the best fidelity. oh hell YES i am going to go running back to better headphones and other gear, but i don't beat myself up over it. normally i dont listen to music while browsing head-fi though, since that's one thing that actually does make me think of the flaws in my system.

oh well.

np: Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won - Heartbreaker

no matter what, as long as i have a pair of grados, i'll be happy.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

I can't enjoy them because I always wonder if there is anything better out there? I only have one set of nice headphones (ER4P)

I listened to my ER4P with iPod & SuperMini today for 6 hours at work...up on a roof, doing the same boring thing...over and over and over again. It kept me from jumping off and taking my life.
etysmile.gif

Don't worry about what others have, there will always be something better no matter how much money you manage to splurge on gear.

I love my portable rig and often sit at home listening to it.

Just enjoy the music, that's what it's really all about anyway...unless your one of those Head-Fi nuts. Wait. What forum am I on?
blink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 25
My brand newest and mostest fun way to enjoy music is when I find a CD that should sound best on "this" set of cans and actually sounds better on "that" set, and I move it over to the other stack after enjoying it all over again for the very "first" time!!

My advice? Get a complementary pair of cans, even an inexpensive pair! It can add lots of fun, and change everything for the better!!

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if you let yourself listen to the gear instead of the music.

+1

Excellent point! I frequently remind myself not to get caught up in this game because it's one that can never be won.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 25
Upgrading is just about all I think about anymore.
frown.gif
A new soundcard and some HD590s and I will be happy, or will I? I hear about people using their first set of cans for years but after i got my k 81 djs, all i think about it upgrading. I often wonder if the next step up is night and day like my first stepup was. I would have a 1200$ stack right now if it wasnt for my parents wanting me to save money for college
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 25
I'm enjoying music more in that I rediscover my cds and run out to find new ones with every change I make. Tonight I'm settling in with the Mosaic Select Paul Chambers CD set a fellow head-fier kindly left at my house. I've been listening with three different headphones, two amps, and one tube change. I finally found what I like best (this time
icon10.gif
) and am totally kicked back in love with what I'm hearing. Tomorrow I'll try something new or listen to the same all over again.

Listening to music is a love. Listening to gear is play. Why not enjoy both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back