Are v-moda vibes worth it?
Apr 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I'm returning my V-Moda bass freqs and getting new ones via warranty, but V-Moda gave me an option to upgrade to vibes for $35. Worth it?

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 39
"Worth it" is a totally useless phrase that should be banned from this board.

I mean, there are so many variables that factor into something's "worth". Are the vibes your only set of IEMs? Or are they #14 in a large collection of others? What is your budget? If you're a penny-pincher living a meager life, and you already have a functioning set of IEMs $35 more is probably not a good idea. Conversely, if you're not living on a budget, $35 isn't much at all. My budget and yours can be totally different.

Maybe the $35 could be put towards something more useful, like a Fiio amp or something like that? Do you like the way the Freqs fit? Do you like their size? What makes you think the Vibes would be any better? Have you read any Vibe reviews? There's just no correct way to answer these "are they worth it" type of posts...

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 39
ka-boom is right.

BUT, in this case, they aren't worth it as they are never worth it. The vibes sound decent if the only thing you are comparing them to are the stock ipod phones. The vibes have zero mids and the bass is horribly muddy. Not to mention the build quality is awful.

Depending on your price range, check out the Monster Turbines (100-150). they have a very similar soundstage as the vibes but with a much better SQ and very detailed bass.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 39
Well, I did read that the vibes are really good(I've never heard them), but they break easily, then I found out that V-Moda has redesigned them and now they're sturdier. Idk I must say I'm NOT an audiophile (probably should've mentioned that), and my taste, is that they have good bass response.

also, Why all the hate on V-Moda? It's not like skullcrappy, I think they're pretty good.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I did read that the vibes are really good(I've never heard them), but they break easily, then I found out that V-Moda has redesigned them and now they're sturdier. Idk I must say I'm NOT an audiophile (probably should've mentioned that), and my taste, is that they have good bass response.

also, Why all the hate on V-Moda? It's not like skullcrappy, I think they're pretty good.

Maybe you heard the older Vibes which seem to get good reviews (I have not personally heard them). I have heard the new Vibes, and to me, the bass is extremely overblown and blurry, the mids are also blurry but almost absent, and the highs aren't really there either.

But if they sound good to you, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

To the OP, even if these were available brand new at the store for $35, I wouldn't want them.

EDIT: NVM, you are the OP
icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 39
Don't get me wrong, in terms of sound signature, i thought they were o.k. but the build quality is appalling IMHO. The chrome picks up dents and scratches with consummate ease, and i've read too many complaints about channel failure, which means there's a dodgy cable issue.

These gave up the ghost two weeks after this photo was taken. They had to go back to V-Moda In the U.S. which is a pain when I live in the UK. Take the money and run
angry_face.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They chrome picks up dents and scratches

Holly crap, u must wrap it 'round your player or throw them in with the car keys.

OP, u read wrong. The reviews say the first issue was OK, then they really screwed it up after that.

No hate, just plain, well-known fact by now, but hey, like an Amazon review I remember, "they are great for the first 3 months!", so as long as u don't have great expectations yer fine.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 39
Okay I won't get them. I'll just get my replacements.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 39
I rather listen to the iBuds instead of any V-MODA product. The mids are so whacked-out-of-range that I can't understand how people can stand them.

The constant build issue is also a major factor; my friend had a pair of Vibes after his KSC75 broke. They died within a month or so in, so he got another pair of KSC75, and he's still digging them almost a year later.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rather listen to the iBuds instead of any V-MODA product. The mids are so whacked-out-of-range that I can't understand how people can stand them.

The constant build issue is also a major factor; my friend had a pair of Vibes after his KSC75 broke. They died within a month or so in, so he got another pair of KSC75, and he's still digging them almost a year later.

No way not me. Yes I've noticed weak mid range but all I do is raise it with an EQ (what a thought). I love bass so V-Moda's good for me
smily_headphones1.gif
(sorry if I sound like an ignorant, bass person, but remember? I'm not an audiophile)
Not trying to be a dick

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

No way not me. Yes I've noticed weak mid range but all I do is raise it with an EQ (what a thought). I love bass so V-Moda's good for me
smily_headphones1.gif
(sorry if I sound like an ignorant, bass person, but remember? I'm not an audiophile)
Not trying to be a dick

Why are you on these forums then? Go away...

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you on these forums then? Go away...

Read my first thread, It's because Yahoo! Answers is filled with idiots.
Besides this site isn't exclusively for audiophiles. is it? I thought it was a reliable source for information on headphones and other audio. Maybe I will Go away.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Read my first thread, It's because Yahoo! Answers is filled with idiots.
Besides this site isn't exclusively for audiophiles. is it? I thought it was a reliable source for information on headphones and other audio. Maybe I will Go away.

Take your bloated bass vibes with you....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back