Are tube amps any good with fast energetic music?
Mar 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 23
Pentode tubes usually have faster speed. Such as EL84, EL34, KT88, EL156, but for best sounding(slower & warmer), they are usually reconfigured to triode mode.

Fast SS rectifier also helps.

But think deeply, music running too fast is very annoying.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 23
I don't think you can generalize like that based on driver technology.
Both tube and solid state amplifier can sound great with fast music. Its more about the specific amplifier in mention and which headphone you hook up to it.

My previous SRM-007t was really fast with the SR-007BL or one of the Lambda's, as an example.
smile.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 23
Well, what is slow versus fast?

My guess is that slow emphasizes some of the low bass frequencies over the high bass or low mid frequencies so that the booooom of the kick drum is louder than the wack! The boom tends to cause vibrations or reflections that sick around longer than the wack. Does that even make sense?

So, if that is the case than tube or SS can be slow or fast depending on how they deal with the lower frequencies. And of course headphones have alot to do with it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 23
I take overly fast over overly slow any day. Nothing is more frustrated then something that goes to slow or feels congested.

I have one Pimeta... Lightning fast on my Ultrasones that´s for sure. Certainly to fast for classical in general. fast forward anyone. I have the Canamp which certainly feels slower. Though it´s more due to giving more body for the bass I assume but somehow it still manages to have a hell of a lot of PRaT going. by no means slow about right for my preferences

Also have the EF1 (hybrid) and it can make the music sound like it´s going in slow motion at times. I just don´t get the foot stomping and head banging going quite as easilly.

So well in this case the tube amp is the slowest and it can´t do energetic music nearly as well. Nothing huge but clearly a difference.

But I am sure there is tube amps that differs as much as the Heed and Pimeta as well. However I seem to be a singlestage guy from what I have heard so far.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 23
Well its been 5 months since the last post and I still haven't got a tube amp.
confused_face_2.gif

A combination of work commitments and other distractions prevented me from taking the plunge.
However now that I am looking again its a bonus because my budget has increased from when I started this thread. My budget is about £900 and I am seriously considering a Woo 6se/2 or a Raptor (slightly over budget but obtainable). I will also check out the Sonnet and SOHA 2.
DIY is not an option.
Whats your opinions of these, given my tastes and original post.
Also what SS amps at the same price point would be appropriate for my needs and better than my Solo SRG (would not want to keep 2 ss amps).

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 23
If your also considering a solid state upgrade then you may want to check out the new SRG 2 which graham I guess will be releasing soon. You may want to check out his website for some updated information on the new Solo and check out his forum for some more information and commentary about it from Graham himself. Sounds like it may be the pinacle of the Solo design. Cheers!

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can generalize like that based on driver technology.
Both tube and solid state amplifier can sound great with fast music. Its more about the specific amplifier in mention and which headphone you hook up to it.

x2

To exemplify, IMHO:
The SR-007A wins on treble resolution but looses on bass control with SRM-007tA, with SRM-727A vice versa.
The GS 1000 / PS 1000 with Earmax SE: a dream team, the Edition 8 / Edition 9 with it: no way.

Sep 1, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BMBROWN911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your also considering a solid state upgrade then you may want to check out the new SRG 2 which graham I guess will be releasing soon. You may want to check out his website for some updated information on the new Solo and check out his forum for some more information and commentary about it from Graham himself. Sounds like it may be the pinacle of the Solo design. Cheers!

As far as I was aware the only change on the 'new' SRG was an 1db increase in bass and bass is not something I am short of.
bigsmile_face.gif

I only bought my SRG in October to upgrade from the 2007 version so I am not really looking to upgrade it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back