Are triple driver IEMs worth it?
Mar 22, 2007 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

papermasterarumi

Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide between the e4c or super fi 5 pros and either the shures e500 or triple fi 10 The triple driver prices are around double the price, so is the SQ that much better, or i mean is it worth the extra money?

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 23
Get the e4c or SF5Pro first...enjoy them because they do sound good. Then when you can't stand it any longer, upgrade to a triple driver IEM...I don't think you can really appreciate the higher end IEM's unless you have used a mid tier IEM for some time. If you buy used, you can always sell for hardly any loss at all if you (and you will) decide to upgrade.

Its like getting a BMW as soon as you graduate high school...of course the car rocks, but wouldn't you appreciate it more in the long run if you drove a camry for a few years.

In the end its up to you and whatever your budget can tollerate. Good luck.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 23
alright, that was the answer I was hoping to get since i'm coming from ibuds
tongue.gif
i'm working wil a $550 budget so i'll probably just get an e4c and a good DAP

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 23
Triple driver IEMs are better than single or dual drivers IEMs. MY fav Shure E500PTH(bassy but balance) and UE Triple-Fi 10pro(rich details in highs with great bass) definitaly worth the price over dual drivers SF5pro(bassy but clear) and E4c(detailed). Triple drivers IEMs shows more details with great bass(bigger sound satge). Shure new dual drivers SE420 are great IEMs too(check WIRED mag review). BTW Shure E500PTH Works realy well with Cowon D2(best combo).

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 23
I agree with YoungClayB's comments, the difference is easily appreciated coming from lesser IEMs. That said, if you're planning to eventually upgrade anyway why not just go for the best you can get? Wouldn't catch me driving a Camry for a few years just to help me appreciate my future BMW better.
cool.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 23
Interestingly, a frequently held position in hi-end speakers is the fewer drivers the better. More drivers create interference, and unstable loads for an amplifier. Plus, the crossovers associated with multiple drivers are inherently lossy. Single driver glory is actually one of my favorite things about headphones.

Do IEM's defy this conventional speaker logic?

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 23
Yes, I agree too, E4's are great mid-level IEM, but even at mid-level IEM, you can walk around knowing that among all the people that are walking around with IPODS, your E4's are better IEM's that what 90% (maybe even higher) of the people are using. Thta thought helped me to keep things in perspective. After a year and a half of much enjoyment, I have sold my E4 and ER-4 to help fund the Triple Fi Pro. I suppose the Triple Fi Pro will put me among the 1/10th of 1 percent crowd of those using truly HIGH-end IEM's
eggosmile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, a frequently held position in hi-end speakers is the fewer drivers the better. More drivers create interference, and unstable loads for an amplifier. Plus, the crossovers associated with multiple drivers are inherently lossy. Single driver glory is actually one of my favorite things about headphones.

Do IEM's defy this conventional speaker logic?

Balanced armatures are a different technology than the typical speaker/headphone dynamic driver and have different characteristics. Personally I have my doubts as to whether their response is good enough in general to perform ideally in a single driver configuration although I'm sure many ER4S owners would have me flogged for such a thought.
wink.gif

I've not looked into it so take this comment with a grain of salt but I expect that since IEMs are so easy to drive that an amplifier is not going to run into any issues even if the load is unstable.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 23
I had the E4s and found the bass to be pretty lackluster. Whynot go for the UM2 as an alternative. Just about everyone on this forum seems to agree that the UM2s are the cat's meow as far as dual diver IEMs go. Have you considered Westone at all?

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 23
Are they better? Maybe, but to me not worth the money. I thought the UM2 (dual), SF.5 pro (dual) and e500 (triple) were really neck and neck. Based on sound alone (not caring about price, looks, comfort, cable, etc) I actually have the e500 in 2nd of the 3 behind the SF.5.

Duals are amazing enough, and they are smaller and cheaper than their same maker triple model. Go double.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 23
Not to mention- I happen to have a pair of UM2s that are just over a little more than a month old that I'd be willing to part with. Yes, I have an alterior motive for pumping the UM2s but they're phenomenal IEMs. The ONLY reason why I'm looking to sell them is because, well, I got the upgrade bug and I'm going the custom route.

Anyway... you can't go wrong with the UM2s. They are the most balanced dual driver IEM I've ever heard. Even if you have no interest in mine I'd DEFINITELY consider Westone before you pay for the E4s.

That's my 2 and a half cents.

-T

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 23
to another point, you are going to have to make some decision . . . people here are going to stop answering your 10 what IEM posts to buy each day.

eggosmile.gif

Honestly, you are coming from ibuds. You will crap your pants if you get a UM1, UM2, SF.5, Trip10, e500, or similar. They are that good. You will not put your ipod down for a week.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by papermasterarumi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
should i get an amp for the e4c's? I don't think an IEM would need an amp, but i could be wrong =/ i'll be using it out of a rockboxed ipod.

I've yet to see any IEM need an amp and I doubt the single driver e4cs do. Will an amp make a noticeable improvement? Yes, maybe a little. My E500s do sound better with an amp but it's like the difference between 95% and 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back