Are TOL headphones good for gaming?
Jul 9, 2020 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WadaHiFi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all!
I am considering to purchase a TOL headphone like 1266 Diana phi for Mysphere. Are they good for gaming besides their amazing sound?
Thanks

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi Wada, in my experience, the biggest issue is comfort. I have not tried Abyss or Mysphere, but I do have a ZMF Verite, which is pretty comfortable for a TOTL.

After an hour or two, I inevitably reach for my 10 year old AD700. I don't lose anything in gaming performance (and maybe gain), and it's much more comfortable since it's lighter.

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi Wada, in my experience, the biggest issue is comfort. I have not tried Abyss or Mysphere, but I do have a ZMF Verite, which is pretty comfortable for a TOTL.

After an hour or two, I inevitably reach for my 10 year old AD700. I don't lose anything in gaming performance (and maybe gain), and it's much more comfortable since it's lighter.
thank you for your reply!
I was thinking about the same thing last night cuz I tried to game with the Utopia but its super heavy and I can't even play games comfortably with it...

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 12
I think the exception would be games such as FF14 or Divinity etc, RPGs or experiential games where the musical soundtrack is a big part of the enjoyment. I could see using your TOTL headphones for those.

For positioning, soundstage, accuracy, my AD700 are at least the equal of anything else and they're so light and comfortable.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 12
I'd do speakers. Get a set of monitoring speakers like JBL LS305. I only use headphones with music. For games and video content, I prefer speakers.
thanks! but if I game with a pair speakers my mom's gonna kill me lol

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 12
You do need headphones for voice comms in games (if you play those types), otherwise others will hate you for using speakers.

There are plenty of awesome TOTL headphones for gaming. I myself use the Empyrean for gaming and it's perfect as it's more comfortable than any other headphone I've had.

If you don't want to spend that much there's the Arya or HD800, which I've also used and are great.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 12
New thread title: " Are TOL headphones good for Wishbone?" You'd probably be able to accurately place the barking that occurs. Wishbone's dry, wise cracking voice would be well textured.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 12
The Meze Empyrean are excellent with their full and visceral Sound signature.

Those are the only ToTLs I tested for gaming.

Hifiman Arya and LCD-2 were also nice but not quite on the level of the Meze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back