Are they kidding me ?
Dec 9, 2003 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
But, how can MS tout the newest version of windows as a highly compatible multimedia platform if they don't support whatever new filesystem flash memory devices use?

great point. i would love to see the digital camera industry start using ext2 or ext3 or reiserFS in flash cards. this would force microsoft to add drivers to support these filesystems into windows, and everybody would be able to access their linux partitions easily and freely.
biggrin.gif

$250,000 seems like it'd be enough for most companies to start implementing a newer/better filesystem, especially if a few big ones (canon, nikon, fuji, minolta, etc.) combined forces to setup a good standard.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 25
Tell me about it.... each time Microsoft releases a new version of their softwares (and force PC manufacturers to pre-install them), my computer becomes less reliable.

So here i am, typing my outlines in prep. for my final exams... and its "fascinating" to find that, what should have been a simple program such as Words, crashes so darn often.
mad.gif

To add insult to injury, the every time the program crashes, a stupid error message pops up and tells me to send the error report to Microsoft. Below that error message - typed in 5 point fonts - is a disclaimer stating that Microsoft does not "intentionally" collect my personal information!!! #!#$%&!!

Billy Gates should be extremely thankful that battery and assault are crimes in this country
mad.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Not to get to off topic but if you think Apple and Steve Jobs are any different you're sadly mistaken. In fact in recent months they've shown signs of being even worse.

Yeah, opening up the guts of the OS and distributing it freely... just like Microsoft
wink.gif

Like others said, this is very much like the Unisys/GIF issue. The big difference is that there are a lot of good image formats that can "replace" GIF without much disruption to workflow, etc. There are some better drive formats, but implementing them would be a MAJOR disruption for most users, and especially for large installations, which is where Microsoft really dominates.

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Yeah, opening up the guts of the OS and distributing it freely... just like Microsoft
wink.gif

How about charging full price for every point update to an OS that wasn't ready for public consumption in the first place? How about charging exhorbitant prices for replacement batteries to basically force people to upgrade? How about iTunes "breaking" Musicmatchs link to the iPod?

Edit: BTW I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wanted to show a couple of examples were Apple has shown similar behavior as Microsoft recently (but at least Microsoft doesn't charge for service packs
tongue.gif
).

Dec 9, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
How about charging full price for every point update to an OS that wasn't ready for public consumption in the first place?How about charging exhorbitant prices for replacement batteries to basically force people to upgrade? How about iTunes "breaking" Musicmatchs link to the iPod?

Edit: BTW I'm not trying to start an argument, I just wanted to show a couple of examples were Apple has shown similar behavior as Microsoft recently (but at least Microsoft doesn't charge for service packs
tongue.gif
).

This isn't an Apple vs. Microsoft thread, so I'll decline to respond in kind. Suffice it to say that the above examples are pretty much BS. Start another thread if you want people to explain why
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
great point. i would love to see the digital camera industry start using ext2 or ext3 or reiserFS in flash cards. this would force microsoft to add drivers to support these filesystems into windows, and everybody would be able to access their linux partitions easily and freely.
biggrin.gif

I agree, it'd be great to see MS support these filesystems, but I seriously doubt it.. and (like it or not) if MS refuses to support them, any device using them is probably dead before it even ships.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 25
They're probably charging to use FAT32 because they want more widespread use of NTFS. But I think Longhorn is supposed to use something else all together anyway. So maybe Gates just needs a few more billion.

Dec 10, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #24 of 25
They're looking to recoup $20 million...

[size=xx-small]By Joris Evers
IDG News Service, 12/08/03

Microsoft will stop distributing several older products next week as a
result of a legal settlement with Sun in a dispute over Java, Microsoft
said.

Among the products that Microsoft will cut from its distribution channels on
Dec. 15 are all versions of Windows 98 except Windows 98 Second Edition;
Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition; all Office 2000 editions; Office XP
Developer edition and SQL Server 7, Tony Goodhew, a product manager in
Microsoft's developer division, said Monday.

"There is a list of products that we can no longer ship as of Jan. 2, 2004,
because they include a version of the Microsoft virtual machine that we are
no longer able to distribute as part of our settlement with Sun," Goodhew
said.

Java is a programming language that allows developers to write applications
that can run on any computer regardless of its operating system. Microsoft's
virtual machine allows users to run Java applications on Windows PCs. Other
vendors, including Sun, also make virtual machines for Windows.

By the end of the year Microsoft will release updated versions of some of
its products without the virtual machine, so that it can continue to
distribute them, Goodhew said. They are the Workstation, Server and
Enterprise Server editions of Windows NT 4.0; Office XP Professional Edition
with FrontPage; Small Business Server 2000; ISA Server 2000 and Publisher
2002, he said.

The companies settled a three-year-old breach of contract lawsuit in January
2001 that Sun had filed against Microsoft. Sun, creator of Java, had accused
Microsoft of violating a licensing and distribution agreement by
distributing a version of Java that was not compatible with Sun's.

As part of the settlement, Microsoft paid Sun $20 million and agreed to a
plan to retire products that included its allegedly incompatible Java
distribution.

Earlier this year, Microsoft and Sun agreed to extend another deadline
related to the settlement. The agreement allowed Microsoft to continue
supporting its virtual machine until Sept. 30, to give its customers more
time to stop using the software. However the software giant decided to phase
out the products now.

"As part of our settlement and license extension with Sun, we can only
modify the Microsoft virtual machine until Sept. 30, 2004," Goodhew said.
"After that date we will not be able to modify the virtual machine for any
reason, including security. We will not ship products that include a piece
of software we cannot provide security fixes for."

Though the products will no longer be available in the channel or for
download from Microsoft's Developer Network (MSDN), current users will still
be able to use them, Goodhew said. Also, users can continue to buy licenses
for the products, for example to install it on more computers from a current
CD or a corporate network, he said.

"This is not making anyone upgrade. If you are a company and you decide that
you need another Windows 98 license for some reason, you will be able to get
another license," he said.

.The full list of products that Microsoft will retire from the channel as of
Dec. 15, according to a posting in a Microsoft news group, are: Office XP
Developer; Visio 2000; BackOffice Server 2000; Office 2000 Developer; Office
2000 Tools; Office 2000 Multilingual; Office 2000 Premium SR-1; Office 2000
Service Pack 2; Outlook 2000; Project 2000; SQL Server 7; SQL Server 7
Service Pack 3; Embedded Visual Tools 3.0; Visual Studio 6 MSDE; Internet
Explorer 5.5; MapPoint 2002; Visual Studio 6.0 SP3 and SP5; Windows 98;
Windows 98 Y2K; Windows 98 Resource Kit; Windows 98 SP1; Windows NT 4.0
Terminal Server and Option Pack and Visual Basic for Alpha Systems.

The IDG News Service is a Network World affiliate.[/size]

Dec 10, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 25
gpalmer,

thanks for the info. i was wondering why w2k ie6 no longer saved-as gifs. (mozilla / firebird / konqueror / galleon still does).

as far as licenses go - make no mistake about it - you will end up paying for it. manufacturers will pass on the cost. it is of small compensence and the reason why other manufacturers use propriatory standards, like Sony mememory flash cards.

as far as $20,000,000 settlements, $20MM is peanuts to MS. as far as java, you could download Sun's Java for free, which will replace MS's.

I noticed the packages that were affected. Hmmm. Office 2000 - guess it will force people to "upgrade" to OfficeXP. But you better not buy it just now - the 64 bit version will be out later. So you'll have to buy it again.

one really shouldn't complain about having to pay FAT license fees and at the same time complain about propriatory standards. remember, as soon as something becomes a standard, it is dead. progress is measured by standards-fighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back