Are they in yet ?
Jan 17, 2007 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Happytab

Head-Fier
Hi - I finally stopped fannying around last week and ordered some CX300's (in white, to match my eye balls) but I have a question.

I have never owned or used ear canal phones before and I am not sure how far to shove them, or how to insert them to acheive the ideal results.

Can anyone give me some advice on insertion and how I know when I have them in correctly?

I am happy to buy a rubber mallet if this will bring an enlightened listening experience.

Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 8
You need some superglue and a nailgun. Also prepare plentiful painkillers as at first effects will be more than just bloody.

No, actually silicon sleeves are pretty easy to insert. Basically put em in and see what influence on the sound pushing em deeper in or pulling em out has, don't be fearful, they are not big enough to reach your eardrum, so from there on its just trial and ear work.

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need some superglue and a nailgun. Also prepare plentiful painkillers as at first effects will be more than just bloody.

Will they Isolate me from the sound of my own screaming?

Quote:

No, actually silicon sleeves are pretty easy to insert. Basically put em in and see what influence on the sound pushing em deeper in or pulling em out has, don't be fearful, they are not big enough to reach your eardrum, so from there on its just trial and ear work.

So just give them a shove until I get a good seal ? Also how do I get the tips off - I have given them a gentle tug but I am too scared to pull with all my mite ?

Thanks again

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytab
So just give them a shove until I get a good seal ? Also how do I get the tips off - I have given them a gentle tug but I am too scared to pull with all my mite ?

Yes, shove until you feel they are secure and won't fall out, then check if you can still hear the surroundings just as loud, if yes, then reinsert them or twist them because you haven't got a good seal, until you find they start to isolate.

Just pull the tips and use your force along the direction of the nozzle, so you don't crack it, they should come off pretty easily.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I think etymotic had a guide on how to insert canalphones (I think you can find it at headroom). It's pretty much like inserting earplugs properly, so if you know how to do that or can't find the first article look for something on that.
You will know if they have a good seal if outside noise is reduced and the music sounds very nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 8
What kind of pressure? On the ear canal - well ya, that feeling will pass away. You can think of yourself as losing your IEM virginity. I did not enjoy the feeling of im716 (god the tri-flanges are still a bitch), but I got used to it. Vibe was very comfy for me after that. Also there might be an alternate way to get a good seal...try a larger fitting so you don't have to push em in so far? The metal chassis itself should not go inside the ear canal from my experience, while the silicon is quite soft (especially on largest fitting). You should judge purely by sound, since the vibe has limited outside noise attenuation.

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Happytab -- if the earphones are too "loose" in your ears, the sound won't be as full as it could be ... use a large enough fitting so that the fit will be snug. And remember to insert them into the entrance to your ear canals rather than just letting them hang like stock earbuds in the outer part of your ear cartilage. As stated above, the silicones are very soft, and most people adapt quickly. Any brain damage will be due only to your choice of music and the volume at which you play it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back