Are These The Best Midrange Headphones Ever?
Apr 10, 2016 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ikkx

New Head-Fier
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (not 900x) is one of only 5 headphones rated A+ at the battle of the flagships thread and according to these graphs it has the most neutral Midrange, beating even the HD600. Why aren't these more well known and what is the opinion regarding these graphs? 

Compared to the hd800

Compared to LCD-X

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 6
I've not heard that particular AT, but the graphs suggests that it is bass-light and a bit peaky in the treble (look at that huge 10K spike (the headroom graphs have a lot of smoothing))
That combination is generally not enjoyed by a lot people, me included. 

The HD800 for example seems to be more neutral overall on those graphs. but many people find it too sharp in the treble - I have heard it and found it a bit too peaky. 
I can only imagine the AD900 sounds like a acoustic scalpel by comparison. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 6
  I've not heard that particular AT, but the graphs suggests that it is bass-light and a bit peaky in the treble (look at that huge 10K spike (the headroom graphs have a lot of smoothing))
That combination is generally not enjoyed by a lot people, me included. 

The HD800 for example seems to be more neutral overall on those graphs. but many people find it too sharp in the treble - I have heard it and found it a bit too peaky. 
I can only imagine the AD900 sounds like a acoustic scalpel by comparison. 

title says midrange :) and the hd800, ad900's have different raw responses, though these are not supposed to be how ears perceive the actual sound. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 6

title says midrange :) and the hd800, ad900's have different raw responses, though these are not supposed to be how ears perceive the actual sound. 

The tile does say midrange, but what use is a 'perfect' midrange if you can't enjoy it over a screechy treble? 
Similarly, a perfect midrange would also be useless in an uncomfortable headphone you can't stand wearing (just as an example)

I have heard the HD800, HD600 and HE-500 (which is VERY similar to HE-6). Even the raw graph clearly demonstrates huge treble peaks compared to a lean bass.

To answer your question simply - No, the AD900 doesn't have the best midrange ever.
The Hifiman HE-500 destroys it -

A gentle down-slope from 1K to 5K (snare drum frequency) feels neutral to most peoples ears.

But this is only a graph. 
Instead of reading reviews and opinions, just go out and listen to some headphones.
Your 'best' WILL BE vastly differing to someone else's 'best'.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 6
  The tile does say midrange, but what use is a 'perfect' midrange if you can't enjoy it over a screechy treble? 
Similarly, a perfect midrange would also be useless in an uncomfortable headphone you can't stand wearing (just as an example)

I have heard the HD800, HD600 and HE-500 (which is VERY similar to HE-6). Even the raw graph clearly demonstrates huge treble peaks compared to a lean bass.

To answer your question simply - No, the AD900 doesn't have the best midrange ever.
The Hifiman HE-500 destroys it -

A gentle down-slope from 1K to 5K (snare drum frequency) feels neutral to most peoples ears.

But this is only a graph. 
Instead of reading reviews and opinions, just go out and listen to some headphones.
Your 'best' WILL BE vastly differing to someone else's 'best'.

Except it doesn't have better mids, you can see it's more colored from your own graph. Mids for vocals.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 6
I feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall here.

Please just go out and listen to these headphones and judge for yourself.
You need to accept that graphs can't tell you exactly how a headphone will sound.

Graphs will only ever be a guide since all humans have different ears, we all hear differently and everyone has a different subjective taste in audio and varying perceptions of frequencies are perceived to be neutral.
Research the AKG N90Q - this headphone actually measures the wearers ears and adjusts the tone to the specific wearer.
There is plenty of research to back this up.

You can argue with graphs all day, but nobody will pay any attention because you simply havn't listened to these headphones for yourself.

Or maybe we should make it more complicated and define 'the best'.
It seems that according to you, 'the best' is a ruler flat frequency response of vocals.
What about distortion? Impulse response? Tonal accuracy?
Then we could go into more subjective territory:
Timbre? Soundstage? Presentation? Colouration?

Is 'the best' something scientifically accurate?

Or is 'the best' something that reaches into your soul and moves you?

Incidentally the AD900 has a pretty poor 30Hz and 300 Hz square wave responses compared to the HE-500.
So the ruler-flat midrange is useless when executed by a flawed driver.

Don't believe me? Go out and LISTEN TO IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back