Are these the best ~$500 closed headphones for movies and gaming?
Jul 26, 2015 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MakubexGB

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've been doing a lot of research trying to decide on the best headphones I can get for my PC. So far it seems like the Shure srh1540 might be the way to go, but I'm not 100% sure. The other top two contenders I've been considering are:

1. Oppo PM-3

- Apparently they clamp hard and the cups are not very deep (I'm not a big guy, though).

1. Mr Speakers Alpha Dog
            - Discarded because they're quite heavy. I would prefer something not heavier than the Denon D2000. Lighter would be better.

I use my PC for everything. Gaming, movies/TV shows and music. However, music takes less precedence than the other two. I'm still heavily considering the PM-3. I'm thinking I can stretch them out a bit so they don't clamp too hard. Plus they're $100 less.

In addition to great sound quality, I'm looking for:

1. large(ish) sound stage for gaming
  2. Light and comfortable for extended periods of time (8+ hrs)
  3. Detachable cable(s)

My current setup is: Creative Titanium HD sound card + Firestone Cute Beyond amp.

I would like to get feedback from you all before I make my purchase. I need new headphones and I'll be making my purchase ASAP.

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 11
Anyone?
redface.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Have you tried this gaming guide that rates headphones?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the PM-3 and they don't clamp my head. My ears do get very close to the drivers though. They're comfortable enough for me to wear them a few hours a day. It's summer right now so open back headphones work a lot better when it comes to comfort since they don't heat up.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 11
I am just finishing my time with a loaner PM-3, and I do really like them. I haven't had any problems with comfort (although you should note that these might have been broken in over some time). Sound-wise, they are great. Very accurate across all audio ranges, well balanced, and it does travel well.

All that being said...they are a bit boring. I got my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 in the same week, and I'm not sure which is more accurate (if either is), but the M-100 is just more fun. The only downsides are that the bass is increased (so they definitely aren't neutral cans), and the stock pads were a bit uncomfortable for me....well, they weren't bad, but upgrading to the XL pads made then feel a lot better.

You should probably check out the guide Cel linked, as well as InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame for another place to start.

Oh, one last not on the comfort. Sealed cans don't vent heat. I found the PM-3 and M-100 to be comfortable, but I still needed to take regular 5-10 minute breaks to let me ears cool off.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Oh, one last not on the comfort. Sealed cans don't vent heat. I found the PM-3 and M-100 to be comfortable, but I still needed to take regular 5-10 minute breaks to let me ears cool off.

Sounds like you need sealed headphones with Peltier coolers built in :)

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 11
I have checked Mad-Lust-Envy's thread and InnerFidelity's wall of fame (and video reviews). InnerFidelity liked both the PM-3 and 1540 so much that it didn't help much.
tongue.gif

I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I'm starting to lean towards the PM-3.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 11
I have checked Mad-Lust-Envy's thread and InnerFidelity's wall of fame (and video reviews). InnerFidelity liked both the PM-3 and 1540 so much that it didn't help much. :p

I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I'm starting to lean towards the PM-3.

Order both from places that have good return policies. Return the one you like least. :)

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 11
The prices listed for those as of now are above $500, but who knows what'll happen when they're released.

Part of me is interested in waiting, but I'm also thinking about picking up a pair of DT-250s and waiting for the price to come down 
tongue.gif
 If they're as good as Beyer's other studio-focused creations, they'll be around for a long time...

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 11
  The prices listed for those as of now are above $500, but who knows what'll happen when they're released.

Part of me is interested in waiting, but I'm also thinking about picking up a pair of DT-250s and waiting for the price to come down 
tongue.gif
 If they're as good as Beyer's other studio-focused creations, they'll be around for a long time...

Yeah, I saw the estimated price, but we'll see, it may be worth it (to me). Right now I'm not completely convinced by any of the headphones in the $500 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back