Are these Sony MDR-EX700SL earphones fake? I'm assuming they are.
Oct 9, 2009 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TwinturboHoward

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. This is my first post as I found this site by searching this very question. I found these on Ebay, not knowing that they are supposed to be Sony's flagship model - I only thought they looked cool and had a nice large (16mm) driver for good bass. After I brought them to work, I showed them to a friend who seemed surprised that I purchased these for listening to MP3's through a PC's standard issue motherboard soundcard (on the board no less). So now I know that the real ones are $200+ earphones but I took a picture of what was sent and, if they're fakes, they're good ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, please ignore the spiderweb table cover, the wife is getting ready for Holloween.

Thanks alot everyone,
Howard

121csxc.jpg

2ps1v86.jpg

1zmnmer.jpg

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 18
Oct 9, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 18
Most definately fakes. The carrying case is different to my pair. My pair also have lines of nubs with different size labels to store the different sized ear pieces on too.

Mine are legit because I bought em at a major Japanese electronics store, Yamada Denki in Shibuya.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 18
Most definately fakes. The carrying case is different to my pair. My pair also have lines of nubs with different size labels to store the different sized ear pieces on too.

Mine are legit because I bought em at a major Japanese electronics store, Yamada Denki in Shibuya.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 18
the zipper bags look questionable too

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 18
UPDATE! - Some good and some bad -

Well I'm pleased to say that, in my opinion, they sound fabulous! Nice rich sound (I'm not that good at descriptions) with good low end as well as a good high end. I came from a store bought pair of $50 Sony's which also sounded great until I wore out the wires.

They sounded so good in fact, that I wanted a second pair for home use. So this time I decided that if I'm buying fake, I might as well buy the cheapest I can get right? The previous ones were $45 or so. So I found a set and won them for $6 shipped - that cannot be beat. A few weeks or so and they arrive and they look just like mine (or so I thought). I plug them in for an A,B comparison and they are horrible. The lows are muddled and it's VERY LOUD between 170 and 300 hertz. The highs are non-existant over 12K or so. Absolutely nothing like the $45 set I bought.

Disappointed, I started looking at the fine details of both pairs. The $45 pair has raised sony lettering on the back, a matte silver inlay, and where the R or L are labelled - that small piece is a separate component. The $6 pair has painted sony lettering, a glossy, smooth silver inlay and the R and L component is part of the main body. Also, the $6 pair's main body is much thicker.

So, there's either 2 versions of fakes or somehow I have one set of fakes (for sure) and one real pair. Maybe it's a B stock or something - either way they sound great.

Howard

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 18
^ look harder lol.

Interesting. On the subject of fake Sonys, the MDR-EX90's I got on eBay a while back sounded like absolute ****. They lOOKED really good, though... amazing how counter fitters in China can replicate the original article so well. Or, in the more unlikely case, they COULD be real, but I highly doubt it. Anyway, those EX700s also look like a good example.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 18
I wonder how, short of sending them to Sony, I could determine if my good pair are the genuine article? There must be some distinguishing feature on them. Heck, I'm surprised they aren't serial numbered on the unit. At ~ $300 you would think they would be treated a little more special. How many could they possibly sell at this price?

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ look harder lol.

Interesting. On the subject of fake Sonys, the MDR-EX90's I got on eBay a while back sounded like absolute ****. They lOOKED really good, though... amazing how counter fitters in China can replicate the original article so well. Or, in the more unlikely case, they COULD be real, but I highly doubt it. Anyway, those EX700s also look like a good example.

ok found more, i was looking for too exact a model number:p
guess the boxed models are higher quality fakes. still a 50 dollar gamble..rather not.

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 18
I've purchased such earphones for 210$ in Ukraine. The manager of the shop told that this is original MDR-EX700SL for japan. The difference from official european packaging is only 3 pairs of silicon caps and the case, which is not leather but made in japan (I don't believe that chinese manufactures can do something and put "made in japan" on it
biggrin.gif
). And the last argument is that there are NO DIFFERENCES with the original Sony product. Every fake has some differences with the original, they may be very small, but they are. All the proportions, all materials, wires length are original. Even the plastic thing in the place of wire branching has just the same inscriptions.
Maybe someone can contact the Japan Sony Support and find out definitely, if these earphones are original?

Sorry for bad English!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back