Are these IE 80s Authentic?
Mar 6, 2017 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TechGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!
So long story short...I had problems with my IE 80s for which Sennheiser sincerely replaced them! Kudos for their service!
But, After about a month I noticed that the letter "L" on my left ear bud has been erased into kind of an "I", so I went ahead and checked the sennheiser's page for Authenticity and yes they were.. And I did get them from an Authorised Sennheiser Service Centre. Is the erasing off normal? Am I being paranoid about something very stupid... And yes they sound fine INCREDIBLE!

Thanks a lot for your help Guys!
[ATTACHMENT=4328]20170308_151156.jpg (667k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=4329]20170308_151222.jpg (554k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 7
I think the L rubbing off shouldn't be a red flag. I remember mine had the same print on. They didn't rub off but I didn't have them very long. I eventually returned the IE80 because I was hoping to get a close to IE800 sound. (Thought buying an old flagship would get me close lol)

Hope that helps. If you got them directly from sennheiser there should be no reason they are not legit. I had to question my pair of IE800 when I got them as well due to the rampant fakes (and apparently good fakes)

I got them from an authorized dealer and sennheiser had told me it was legit when I emailed them and I still had a small doubt. They eventually went away and I now know they are 100% legit.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 7
I think the L rubbing off shouldn't be a red flag. I remember mine had the same print on. They didn't rub off but I didn't have them very long. I eventually returned the IE80 because I was hoping to get a close to IE800 sound. (Thought buying an old flagship would get me close lol)

Hope that helps. If you got them directly from sennheiser there should be no reason they are not legit. I had to question my pair of IE800 when I got them as well due to the rampant fakes (and apparently good fakes)

I got them from an authorized dealer and sennheiser had told me it was legit when I emailed them and I still had a small doubt. They eventually went away and I now know they are 100% legit.

Thanks a lot man! That really helped... I also checked the sennheisers official page for Authenticity and they did confirm that these are indeed Authentic.
And as for your quest to find something similar to the IE 800s, we're you able to find something similar for cheaper than the IE 800s?

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks a lot man! That really helped... I also checked the sennheisers official page for Authenticity and they did confirm that these are indeed Authentic.
And as for your quest to find something similar to the IE 800s, we're you able to find something similar for cheaper than the IE 800s?

The FLC8S are pretty capable for the price and punch way above their price point. IE800 with the correct tips (Stock tip tickled my ear with a sharper than preferred treble) are incredible. I did buy the IE800 from an authorized dealer but I didn't pay retail price. Price I paid was decent. Still pretty expensive, but better than $800. Best part was the fact that it offered peace of mind that they were legit and also under warranty for 2 years if anything goes wrong.

Didn't really love the IE80's tho. It was missing an emotional mid section and to me sounded a bit stale and lifeless. It may have been the ear tips because I didn't fall in instant love with the IE800 after trying them out for a few days as well. I originally heard the IE800 at the sennheiser store near my home and made me want to buy them. Thought the IE80's would come close but they don't really sound anything alike. They share common grounds such as strong bass, but IE80 is more of a emotionless V shape signature to me and the IE800 are like a W shape sound signature. (Strong bass, forward mids, and Sparkly treble)

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 7
The FLC8S are pretty capable for the price and punch way above their price point. IE800 with the correct tips (Stock tip tickled my ear with a sharper than preferred treble) are incredible. I did buy the IE800 from an authorized dealer but I didn't pay retail price. Price I paid was decent. Still pretty expensive, but better than $800. Best part was the fact that it offered peace of mind that they were legit and also under warranty for 2 years if anything goes wrong.

Didn't really love the IE80's tho. It was missing an emotional mid section and to me sounded a bit stale and lifeless. It may have been the ear tips because I didn't fall in instant love with the IE800 after trying them out for a few days as well. I originally heard the IE800 at the sennheiser store near my home and made me want to buy them. Thought the IE80's would come close but they don't really sound anything alike. They share common grounds such as strong bass, but IE80 is more of a emotionless V shape signature to me and the IE800 are like a W shape sound signature. (Strong bass, forward mids, and Sparkly treble)

Thanks a lot for that insight my man!
I do think tips play a huge role as like you mentioned, sennheisers with stock tips provide too sharp a treble!
I would definitely want to go up the IEM scale but I am a little reluctant to pay too much :/
If you don't mind, can you please let me know where you bought your IE 800s and how much you paid?
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back