Are these ES3's or ES3X?
Jul 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arielext

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got my "ES3X"'s yesterday but they don't strike me as improved ES2's at all atm. I did a side by side comparison between the ES2's and the new iem's and the ES2's goes lower and higher at the same volume lvl. The new IEM's do shine with voices but in whole i think I'm missing both highs and lows. As test I played with my EQ settings a bit i like the phones more with the 1khz-3khz range down by 3db.

Can you see from the outside if the factory made a mistake and made my ES3x's ES3's instead? And what should i do besides contacting the audiologist about this?

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 9
My serial number on the earpieces is ES3X0096L & ES3X0096R (meaning it was the 96th ES3X set made), other numbers past 100 should read, for instance, ES3X0125L & ES3X0125R - Note that the letters L & R (left & right) may be left out depending on the colour of your monitors.

There was another head-fier who reported the same problem as you, apparently his audiologist made a mistake and ordered the ES3 instead of ES3X. Taking the above example the serial number in that case would be ES30125L & ES30125R (the X would be missing).

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 9
Jul 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 9
I seriously suggest you contact Variphone --who, BTW, charge a lot more than Westone-- and explain to them that either there is a mix-up (most likely) or that something IS wrong in the way they built your customs.

FYI, I had to have 4 sets of ES3X done until everything was finally sorted out. Of all 4 sets the 3rd one had wrong sounding bass and treble and it sounded pretty much like what you describe, ei lacking in both frequency responses. If my third set had been my 1st set, I'd have been totally disappointed with the ES3X SQ; luckily I knew what they should've sounded like in terms of bass & treble extension, and had a final (and perfect) 4th set made.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 9
I got this from Doug:

Quote:

The goal was not an "improved ES2". The goal was a different sound signature. The lows will not be quite as bloated as the ES2, the mids should be smoother and there should be lots more headroom in the highs. That is one of the top responses we have heard from people is how good the highs are.

You stated ES2 earlier and ES3 at the end. So just to make sure I understood the question. You want to know if they made the incorrect 3-way for you? The ES3 will have 3 totally seperate drivers, all of a decent size. The ES3X will have the large bass driver and than a smaller/medium sized driver that houses both the mids and highs, so it may only look like a dual driver.

I have the smaller mid/high drivers (see through blue for the win!), Variphone returned my call today and they say it might be due to lack of burning in. I have a meeting with a variphone audiologist on thursday maybe my pair is just broken since the thing i feel like lacking most is the sparkle that Doug describes ...

To be continued

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Burn in; both physicly and mentally helped a lot; still missing the highs; the spark ... they took a new casting of my left ear and send both pieces back to belgium to let them be checked out. It could be as silly as a crosswire on one of the drivers; hopefully they will let me know what is wrong with them. Back to the hfi 780's for another 2 weeks though.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Got them back last week and the new left piece is awesome. It fits a bit tighter then my right side but both are fine now. Finally the smile is back on my face; even in a crowded train. These babies and the cowon S9 (gapless finally) are a total bliss to the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back