Are there wireless headsets that aren't terrible?
Aug 1, 2021 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kranebrain

Head-Fier
My friends and I play competitive/hard-core FPS games. One of my friends absolutely struggles to locate sound direction in-game, while I'm able to pinpoint a gnats fart from 100 meters away. I tried to tell him it's because of his crappy wireless headset.

I use Sony Z1Rs, Focal Stellia's, and Meze Empyrean. I know wireless may not be as good as these headphones with regards to sound stage and imaging. But is there wireless or Bluetooth headsets that are good quality (leather not pleather) and have sound quality, sound stage, and imaging that compares with $500 wired headphones?

I know I'm asking for a lot with wireless AND microphone but if there's anything you guys know about, please let me know.

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 18
My friends and I play competitive/hard-core FPS games. One of my friends absolutely struggles to locate sound direction in-game, while I'm able to pinpoint a gnats fart from 100 meters away. I tried to tell him it's because of his crappy wireless headset.

I use Sony Z1Rs, Focal Stellia's, and Meze Empyrean. I know wireless may not be as good as these headphones with regards to sound stage and imaging. But is there wireless or Bluetooth headsets that are good quality (leather not pleather) and have sound quality, sound stage, and imaging that compares with $500 wired headphones?

I know I'm asking for a lot with wireless AND microphone but if there's anything you guys know about, please let me know.
Audeze Mobius/Penrose are literally made to do just this.

Aug 1, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the response. Definitely intriguing I just wish the mobius didn't use artificial leather. In my experience artifical leather starts to flake apart after a few years.
No worries. Some modders/Youtubers have posted videos about how to swap pads on these - I've had the Mobius for a couple of years now and the pads are holding up just fine.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 18
You can use an Earstudio ES100 Mk2 or FiiO BTR5 with a modmic to make almost any headphone wireless.

Aug 1, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 18

Hi, I own Z1R too. I also own QC35, NC700 and APM. APM have the nicest Soundstage and Imaging of the three wireless headsets I mentioned. Maybe because they were designed with 3D Stuff in mind. Sometimes they remind me of the Z1R sonically. E-MU Teak is a favorite of mine. It has great soundstage and Imaging and is easy to drive with an external Bluetooth adapter.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 18
You're probably gonna run into latency issues with Bluetooth for competitive gaming

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 18
In regard to SQ, there is nothing that can match a good open back headphone. But pinpointing enemy location for me is fine even with basic $100 wireless headsets. What headset is your friend using?

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 18
You can use an Earstudio ES100 Mk2 or FiiO BTR5 with a modmic to make almost any headphone wireless.

The Earstudio (and Qudelix 5K) are not AptX-LL capable. BT audio latency will be noticeable. The BTR5 is AptX-LL capable. I use a BTR3K. Better range than the BTR5, better battery life, and has plenty of juice for my X2HR and SHP9500.

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 18

Check out the Hifiman Deva. I'm super impressed with mine. Great soundstage and very good overall sound quality even compared to many wired phones. I'm not a gamer but from what I read about gaming headphones they may fit the bill very nicely. Oh and they have a built in microphone that works pretty well.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 18
Check out the Hifiman Deva. I'm super impressed with mine. Great soundstage and very good overall sound quality even compared to many wired phones. I'm not a gamer but from what I read about gaming headphones they may fit the bill very nicely. Oh and they have a built in microphone that works pretty well.
Only issue is the Deva doesn't have a microphone. I know it's easy to use something like modmic but my buddy will refuse anything that isn't a headset.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 18
It does have a built-in microphone. I and my lady (she has a pair also) have both used the Deva on calls and the built in microphone works well. It's just not a boom type microphone but it does have one.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Only issue is the Deva doesn't have a microphone. I know it's easy to use something like modmic but my buddy will refuse anything that isn't a headset.
Sorry for double post but see my reply above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back