Are there unamped analog outputs on the Panasonic XR55?
Apr 26, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of getting this receiver for both headphone and speaker purposes. I would be hooking up my soundcard via digital coaxial to the Panasonic XR55. Then for speakers, I would use the speaker outputs (which would be amped). For headphones, I'm not sure if the XR55 can serve only as a DAC, with analog stereo outputs to a dedicated headphone amp. Does anyone know if this is possible? I'd like to avoid the headphone out on the receiver if possible.

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 10
No, i don't think this is possible. The only line level out on the receiver is the subwoofer out. Everything else is for speakers (post amp). Very nice reciever though, especially if you need a good DAC/reciever combo. Its great digital in (not so great analog in). Never tried the headphone out, but others of commented that it is just OK.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 10
So assuming you were to buy it only for the analog amplification for speakers, it wouldn't be worth its $200 price tag? (I already have a DAC)

Edit: Here's another option I'm considering. The M-Audio Audiophile 192 seems to have 2 digital RCA coaxial outputs. M-Audio's site calls it "S/PDIF digital I/O (coaxial RCA connectors) with 2-channel PCM". Would this be usable as 2 separate switchable digital outputs? If so, I could send one to the headphone system (dedicated DAC, and then headphone amp), while I send the other to the XR55. All it would take is switching between digital outputs to switch from headphones to speakers. Please tell me if this would actually work or if the 2 digital outputs are meant for something else.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 10
If you really like your current DAC i would consider a different reciever - maybe a pre-amp and amp combo or a dedicated 2-channel reciever. I would only recommend the Panny if one doesn't already own a good DAC and just has a consumer CD player or the Squeezebox (or similar).

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Well, the XR55, for the time being, is expected to at least be a long-lasting stepping stone until I go for more serious speaker upgrades, in which case, I would like to use its integrated DAC+amp. I just need to figure out a way to get 2 digital coaxial signals.

What do you think about using an RCA Y-splitter to accomplish that? One signal would feed the speaker setup, the other would feed the headphone setup. Given that the data I'm transmitting is digital, I don't expect there to be a problem (unlike with analog), but I'd like to get some confirmation on whether or not this would be a good idea.

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Cyrilix: I/O is short for In/Out - i.e., your M-Audio doesn't have two spdif outputs, but one input and one output.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think about using an RCA Y-splitter to accomplish that? One signal would feed the speaker setup, the other would feed the headphone setup. Given that the data I'm transmitting is digital, I don't expect there to be a problem (unlike with analog), but I'd like to get some confirmation on whether or not this would be a good idea.

Never tried it with a digital signal so I'm not sure. I've tried splitters with a line level signal and it worked fine.

Have you thought about getting a little class t type amp like the Trend TA-10 http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Index.htm You could feed it your analog out from you DAC. I believe its cheaper than the Panny too!

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 10
I have a D2C with the upgraded headphone section. I just use my Zhaolu as pre-amp and headphone amp since I prefer the sound of my CD player to the Zhaolu.

You could just hook up a pair of powered speakers to the Phone-out and use the Zhaolu's volume pot.

The Panasonic is awesome for movies, but get something else for music.

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the explanations and suggestions guys. I will take a look at them, however, my reason for jumping on the Panny is because of the 115 page long thread at avsforums where it seems to receive a lot of good feedback. I'm open to looking at other amps though.

Jun 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Dumb question, but years later, I'm looking to do the same thing (get analog stereo output). I see there are analog audio out for DVR and Tape, but no sound comes through from either TOSLINK input. What do DVR/TAPE out ports do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back