Are there such headphones?
Dec 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for IEMs, the Meelec Ai-M6 are a good choice and Meelectronics offers reasonably priced international shipping if you email them directly.

Thanks for pointing me to Meelec, these M6 and M11 looks marvelous and are very reasonably priced. I'm reading your very comprehensive review of IEMs (another thanks
regular_smile .gif
). I think I'll grab them, at least I'll try some IEMs
smile.gif

I have to choose one of these, M11 seems to be better isolating and comfortable, though (as you've posted) M6 are better in terms of SQ. However, M11 has warmer and less-detailed presentation and so may match iPod Nano a bit better.. Decision, decisions..

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 26
The M6 is the one I had problems with. Not that they aren't worth while, but they just did fit my ear and I couldn't get a seal. The body of the IEM keeps the tip from going very far into your ear. They're form factor is very similar to the UM1 and I need the largest Shure tips to get a seal with them. My bet is that it's much easier to get a good fit with the M11. It could be that I just have strange ears though
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 26
I've just send them an e-mail, will see if they ship to the EU. If not, I'll have to ask somebody in the States to buy and send them to me..

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M6 is the one I had problems with. Not that they aren't worth while, but they just did fit my ear and I couldn't get a seal. The body of the IEM keeps the tip from going very far into your ear. They're form factor is very similar to the UM1 and I need the largest Shure tips to get a seal with them. My bet is that it's much easier to get a good fit with the M11. It could be that I just have strange ears though
tongue.gif

Although I can get a good seal with the stock tips, I can see how it can be a problem for some. Removing the memory wire really helps, as do Sony Hybrid tips or De-Cored Olives. The M11 uses a very conventionally-shaped (albeit small) housing. Getting a seal with that is no harder than with the Ety Er6i. I still wouldn't sacrifice the SQ of the M6 for the ease-of-use of the M11, but I admit that the M11 is far more user-friendly. Plus it comes with the excellent bi-flange tips.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #20 of 26
It seems that there is no problem with international shipping (7USD to the EU). After reading reviews posted here I decided to order the M11. I'm a bit worried about my ear-canals, which might be incompatible with the M6 and some people preferred M11 over M6 in terms of SQ. Will report here when they arrive.

Many thanks for your help
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 26
While waiting for my M11, I have tested a pair of supra-aural Sennheiser HD 228. Unfortunately, this is not the sound that I could live with.

I have no experience with Sennheisers (apart from some inexpensive earbuds - MX 400 or 500), but if they share some characteristics with higher models, I would not be able to like the Sennheiser in-house sound. They are very dark and warm. Comparing to my K701 (I'm aware of different price levels, but these are the cans that I know the best) they are very veiled to me (too veiled to enjoy). That's pretty difficult to explain - they are detailed, but details are lost in overwhelming bass and excessive warmthness. Bottom frequencies are very strong and dominating. Comparing to Apple earbuds sound has more body, but is less detailed and more veiled.

The good thing is that the sound is "fluid" and because of warmth - pretty relaxing. Sound-staging and instruments separation is ok, much better than in Apple earbuds (these are the only small cans that I have at home right now). Isolation is quite good (as for supra-aural headphones). Build quality and comfort level are not bad, especially when considering moderate pricing. Ear-pads are very soft and comfortable.

To sum it up - these are inexpensive and comfortable supra-aural headphones. If you have a very bright and over-detailed source and like a lot of bass - you could try them. If you prefer lighter, more delicate presentation - stay away from them.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While waiting for my M11, I have tested a pair of supra-aural Sennheiser HD 228. Unfortunately, this is not the sound that I could live with.

I have no experience with Sennheisers (apart from some inexpensive earbuds - MX 400 or 500), but if they share some characteristics with higher models, I would not be able to like the Sennheiser in-house sound. They are very dark and warm.

Try taking off the pads and removing the center foam (which is a cut-out so is easily removable). Takes about 5 seconds and makes them brighter and sharper. Also make sure they are set farther back on your ears than may seem natural at first. Other than that, I don't know what to say, but I would not reject Sennheiser based on the HD 228.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 26
The Sennheiser HD448, which I'm rocking atm, would be the thing you're looking for, unless you don't mind the bass being somewhat reduced. They do not sound anything like the HD2x8 line (had the 238 myself, quit them) or much like midrange Senns, really. The mids are very forward, detailed and no veil is there, with ok highs, nothing too bright or sparkly, but well defined. They isolate quite well, from my experience with traffic and trains/metros, and are comfy if you don't have big ears, since they're circumaural but have smallish ear cups.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #24 of 26
My silver M11 has arrived today. I'm impressed by their build quality - cable, IEMs, carrying pouch, cushions (still not tested them) - everything looks nice, solid and very well build. They are very light and quite comfortable (I'm using double flange) and isolate pretty well.
Out of the box they sound quite good - detailed, clear sound, definitely not veiled or warm, yet not analytical. Bass is amazingly big from such small drivers
smile.gif
, but it's proportional to other ranges, i.e. it is not dominating. Instrument separation is not bad, but they mainly play "in the head". They sound pretty normal and neutral, /me like it so far
bigsmile_face.gif
I will test them in a more noisy environment (train) tomorrow.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 26
So far I have tried bi- and triflanges and I'm using medium size normal cushions right now. The triflanges are a bit too small and too long for my ear canals and do not isolate that well. Besides, sound is too lean and bass is missing. Biflanges are a slightly too large and uncomfortable. Medium size cushions fit perfectly well and provide great isolation. Now the bass is very strong, but also very clear. Sound is clear, dynamic, massive and full-bodied. They hiss a little, especially when fed directly from my MacBook Pro.

Overall, these are really great IEMs, thank you all for pointing me to these tiny silver gems
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back