Are there such headphones?
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

AdamWysokinski

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones for my iPod Nano 4G. Here are my criteria, please tell me if such headphones exist
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Price <100USD - the less, the better
bigsmile_face.gif

2. Closed, around-ears - preferably, otherwise - ensuring good isolation
3. Comfortable - very important, esp. if not around-ears
4. Usable without additional amp
5. Well built and durable
6. Must be versatile - my music taste is very eclectic

Thanks for any help.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony Pro MDR-7506?

Looks nice, though a bit too expensive here. And I'm afraid there is no chance to listen to them before purchase.

Shure SRH 240 looks very good, don't know their sonic quality though. Can you share any experience with them?

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard the Shure240, maybe the Sony MDR-V6 ?

Unfortunately, these are completely unavailable where I live.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the Shure SRH 440, they would suit all your needs well.

I bit pricey, but looks good and have a detachable cord (I could easily replace it with a shorter one). I'm not sure if I like these hinges, though. Are they durable? Have any of you compared SHR 240 and 440? They cost almost 60% more.

I have also found a very positive review of Sennheiser HD448. Do any of you know these?

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 26
In my experience, comfort and good isolation are contradictory. I guess it really depends on what good isolation means for you. For me, it means at least 15-20dB, if not more, and that usually comes with some pretty good head clamp.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, comfort and good isolation are contradictory. I guess it really depends on what good isolation means for you. For me, it means at least 15-20dB, if not more, and that usually comes with some pretty good head clamp.

Well, I need these cans while traveling by plane/train. I'd tolerate moderate head clamp if pads were big enough and did not press my ears.

Maybe I should consider some IEMs? I know only inexpensive earbuds and don't like them at all. Are IEMs significantly better? They isolate very well, don't they? How do they sound in comparison with full-size, circumaural cans?

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 26
About 3 years ago, I looked for full sized headphones to use on my daily subway commute. At the time, the best I could find were the HD280 Pro and they weren't really adequate. I kept wanting to turn the volume up. From what I've read recently, they're still the best isolating full sized headphone.

They don't really meet your other requirements. The sound is only so so and the headband is covered with plastic that breaks easily.

I get better isolation with any of the IEMs I've used with foam tips. IMO, IEMs can sound as good as most moderately priced, full sized, closed headphones. I use my UM1 and X5 on planes and in the subway. The X5 isolates quite a bit better, but if my allergies are acting up I can't really use them. The UM1 are adequate for planes and for all but the loudest stretches of my subway commute. I do avoid listening to real quiet music in those environments though.

I'm not really knowledgeable about all of the options for in ears. I know a lot of new IEMs have been coming out, but I'm satisfied with what I have so haven't been reading up on them.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 26
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to consider IEMs as well. However, I'm afraid that the ones mentioned by you are over my tight budget.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 26
Yeah, that's why I said someone else needed to answer. I know there's been a lot of buzz about in expensive in ears, I just haven't been following it. I did buy one of the MeElectrics, but I couldn't get a good seal and it had an odd sized nozzle so I couldn't use any of the other tips I have.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 26
Another pair of headphones you may want to take a look at are the JVC HA-M750 and HA-S700. The M750 is very well-built but the S700 isolates better.

As for IEMs, the Meelec Ai-M6 are a good choice and Meelectronics offers reasonably priced international shipping if you email them directly. Soundmagic PL50s should be easy to get as well as they are shipped worldwide from places like focalprice.com. If you're in Europe you may be able to find one of the good RadioPaq models - the classic or the jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back