Are there many counterfeit Etymotics
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

drosehill

New Head-Fier
Greetings folks,

So I recently picked up a pair of Etymotics from eBay.

As you're probably wondering why I didn't just buy from Amazon — I live in the Middle East and (at the time I tried to place the order) they weren't showing as shipping (they since are).

After purchasing, I suddenly remembered how I had, two years previously, bought Shure 215s that turned out to be counterfeit. Something just seemed off about them and Shure were able to work with me to verify that that was indeed the case.

Etymotic seemed kind of confused about this. They told me firstly, by phone, that they had no record of the store I bought them from (which described itself as an authorized dealer). And then they subsequently clarified by email that the store is, in fact, really a buyer.

I feel bad for putting the buyer through such grief, and would loved to have just given him the benefit of the doubt, but I really wanted to check.

This got me wondering whether counterfeit Etymotics are much of a problem. I always assumed as a relatively small company that there wouldn't be money in counterfeiting them. But the woman on the phone told me that they had come across a few cases over the years and recommended strongly against buying from eBay.

Anyone have any info about this?

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back