Are there headphones that will sound absolutely amazing without an amp?
Aug 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tswise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahahhahahahah oh, brother

My friend has one too. And his reason for buying it was "If Dr. Dre made it, it must be good". I'm surprised he didn't mention anything about Monster though. lol

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tswise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahahhahahahah oh, brother

Is that really necessary? I know people dismiss these headphones simply because of who makes them, but I only listed them for reference so others that have listened them can give me better comparisons of what to expect from headphones they'll be recommending. There's no need to pad your superiority complex here, do it in another thread please.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #20 of 36
Try Grados... they're all low impedance and have high sensativity. Consider the following models (the later one are superior the earlier ones): SR60i, MS-1i, SR225i, MS-2i, HF-2, RS-1i. Contrary to popular belief, I found a significant difference between "i" and non-i models, so keep that in mind if you're considering Grados.

Mark

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onetwothree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is $300. So far here is what I'm looking at,
  1. Sennheiser HD 595
    Denon 1001k
    ATH-900
    Ultrasone 750,2500

Will any of these headphones wow me without an amp? Or are there headphones that can even wow you without an amp?

Whether you get wowed by any headphones depends in part on what you're wanting to hear from them. And many headphones are not found to be universally comfortable.

It seems to me you want to be wowed by a full, clear sound that includes impressive bass. And you want this from a DAP without the use of additional amplification. That should narrow your search down to easy to drive closed headphones. If this is what you're looking for, I suggest stating this so your search for headphones can be narrowed.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 36
I've always thought Grados can give you that "wow" experience unamped. My preference for unamped Grados would be the SR-225. The problem is, however, once you go amped . . .
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether you get wowed by any headphones depends in part on what you're wanting to hear from them. And many headphones are not found to be universally comfortable.

It seems to me you want to be wowed by a full, clear sound that includes impressive bass. And you want this from a DAP without the use of additional amplification. That should narrow your search down to easy to drive closed headphones. If this is what you're looking for, I suggest stating this so your search for headphones can be narrowed.

+1

There are quite a lot of headphones that sound great without an amp, but without the specifics of what you prefer (like what music you like to hear) we can't give you an accurate suggestion.

That aside:
ATH-A/AD900 sounds great without an amp but the bass impact might leave you wanting for more. They're very comfy though.

HD595 can benefit from better amping so may be open for upgrade.

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sad_katz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

There are quite a lot of headphones that sound great without an amp, but without the specifics of what you prefer (like what music you like to hear) we can't give you an accurate suggestion.

That aside:
ATH-A/AD900 sounds great without an amp but the bass impact might leave you wanting for more. They're very comfy though.

HD595 can benefit from better amping so may be open for upgrade.

Well if someone here has the beats or the h280's and could compare the ad900's bass to those that would be really helpful. I listen to a wide variety of music, although the rap, hip-hop, and electronica music I listen to is very very minimal. I'd say rock, classical, jazz, and acoustic guitar music makes up the most of my listening. If the ad900's have a full sound with a big soundstage I think I will be satisfied. I don't think I need to feel bass impact as long as the bass is well defined and audible.

Right now I'm thinking of ordering the ATH-AD900's for $280 from guitar center. They have a 10% off any order + if I go through microsoft's cashback program it says you can get 10-16% back, but I don't know if the two promotions stack together. Either way the headphones will be $280 with tax or $250. Is that a good price for the ad900's? I'm thinking I should just try them out and if I don't like them I can take them back to guitar center although I'll be hit with a 15% restocking fee.

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

I listen to a wide variety of music, although the rap, hip-hop, and electronica music I listen to is very very minimal. I'd say rock, classical, jazz, and acoustic guitar music makes up the most of my listening. If the ad900's have a full sound with a big soundstage I think I will be satisfied. I don't think I need to feel bass impact as long as the bass is well defined and audible.

FWIR...

Your description here points to the AD900. These are airy, detailed sounding headphones. The bass is heard but not prominent. Be advised, these are large headphones that fit loosely on most. $250 is a good price.

Aug 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 36
German Maestro 8.35D Monitor...

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 36
I ordered my AD900s a week ago and they sound great.

Wasn't wowed by them, but that's probably because lurking on head-fi built up a lot of expectations, and the source I'm using (mp3 320/v0/flac out of some standard dell sound card) is probably a massive bottleneck. I mainly listen to rock/metal, and the bass impact wasn't hard to notice, which was a pleasant surprise. Mids and trebles were a considerable improvement over the JBL reference 510's, but I can't help but feel like I'm hearing sibilance at times. Again, maybe it's my source, maybe it's still burning in.

As for comfort, they fit pretty well with me, even with glasses on. The velvet pads are soft, but they do exert a bit of pressure over time, and can get a bit warm. I was pretty lucky that my head is neither too big nor small, and the ad900s do get mention of how they slip off easily for people with small heads.

Hope that helps

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

The reason I left out the denon 2000's is because I thought people said they really needed an amp.

Yes they do need an amp, I don't know why people continue to say they are fine without one... yes they work, as in sound comes out but it's not a good sound. If you're not looking for an amp and want an all-in-one solution I would also recommend SRH840 from reading of course, in fact if my granddad came to me looking for a headphone I would also recommend SRH840 too him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back