Are there flat/neutral headphones for under $150?
Dec 12, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 28
ericj: Thanks for the heads up on the various models of the K240. I guess we can be fairly certain that Tom Scholtz(of Boston) wasn't using the K240S's, eh...since they didn't even exist back then! Are the DF's and Sextettes significantly better than the 240S's in your opinion?

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 28
For new cans, the MB Quart QP240/250, or in the new name GMP 240/250, sound bright like K240DF with bigger sounstage, and a very nice bass @ 100 Ohm. You can drive with my sound card. The next model up, it's the GMP 8.35 D Monitor @ 35 Ohm.

If you can find used K240MKll or K70X under $150...

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends how neutral you mean neutral. You know that your ears aren't exactly like everyone elses, right?

Equation RP-21's might fit the bill. Unless you have more bass sensitivity than average - some people who prefer AKG K501 or Audio-Technica ATH-A900 levels of bass feel that the RP-21 has "wooly" and "prominant" bass.

As compared to my DT770, I think the RP-21 had clearer mids and maybe a little less bass.

If you are bass-averse - and some people really are - look for a used K501 maybe.

So how do you know what flat or not though?

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 28
MattmaM: Thanx for the link...very interesting. funny but a lot of folks at Gearslutz used to recommend the mdr-v6's...now they're recommending the m-50's. I can't trust the Sony's at all, and I had the ATH M-30's which I absolutely hate, so I hesitate to waste any more money on their other cans.

Acix: Are those available in the states, do you know? I think the price will probably be out of my range.

As far as what is flat or not, I think most studio engineers/musicians judge the 'flatness' by how the headphones compare to good quality studio monitors...which are supposed to be as flat as possible. Of course we never really know what any particular listener is hearing when they listen to one of our tunes...their ears may be more or less sensitive to bass or treble than mine...so even if a mix sounds perfect to me it's probably going to sound off to someone else. Personally speaking the Sony's drive me nuts sometimes with the boosted upper mids. Other people love them... so there you go.
icon10.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #23 of 28
I'd say K501 that's been mentioned is pretty flat and has amazing soundstage to boot.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I'm looking for good headphones for late night studio work. I've tried the AKG 240's(a little too 'warm'...dull, IMO), Equation rp-21's(so far the best I've tried), and the ubiquitous Sony mdr-v6. The Sony's seem the least flat...too bright. Someone suggested a model by Roland, but I heard that the mids are a little recessed. Any other suggestions for headphones that have a flat/neutral frequency response would be much appreciated. Thanks

For the purpose you have described, you do not want a "flat" headphone. What you really want is a headphone that sounds "flat". There is a difference.
Actually, to the best of my knowledge there really isn't any such thing as a "flat" headphone. There are, however, some headphones that sound reasonably close to "flat".
I sometimes do audio recording production work. Most of the time when listening to mixes, I use the monitors. When there is a reason to utilize headphones, while there are other excellent headphones, I prefer the Ultrasone Pro 750. To my ears, the Pro 750 has an overall sound that more closely resembles the sound of "flat" studio monitors in an acoustically controlled room compared to any other headphone that I've ever heard. Do not misunderstand me or discount the comments of the other posters because, AKG, as only one example makes excellent sounding headphones. Preference in headphones for particular purposes, like so many other things in life, is a matter of personal opinion based mostly on individual perception.
I've never heard a headphone by any manufacturer that cost under $150 (U.S. dollars, retail) that I would recommend for your purposes. In my opinion you need to increase the amount you are planning to spend to obtain a headphone that will serve your purposes sufficiently.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my studio choice is the AKG k-141 studio gold not silver.
Flat as a ruler IMO..

Do you mean the 600ohm ones? I use the headphone amp on my emu 0404 recording interface...not sure if it's strong enough to drive those...probably is though, since it's designed for studio use.

Have also been looking for some used 501's but they're a little hard to find. I'm enjoying the 240's...so I think I might stay with the AKG brand. Not sure about the Sennheisers...the 280's are flatter than k240/141's?

Dec 13, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #28 of 28
try the ath m50. i have these and am very happy with them.
i would say they are slightly warm, with good mids and never bright.

ebay has them for 110 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back