Are there fake/counterfeit HD800S?
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

buencamino

100+ Head-Fier
Just met a seller online in a used marketplace in my country. The seller is selling his 2nd hand HD800S at a lower price, used since 2016 around 200 hours as said. Everything seems to look ok in pictures but I haven't met him yet or listened to it. Just want to ask are there any fake/counterfeit HD800S's out there? Do they exist? Just want to know just to be safe.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 17
I don't think so. HD 800S aren't worth the effort. And I've never came across any counterfeit HD800/S. You can always ask for the QR code and the serial and check with Sennheiser. I wouldn't worry too much. If it's some sort of scheme, my guess it that it doesn't rely on having anything that resembles the HD800 in the first place.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 17
Given how intricate the HD800/S is, I'd imagine it'd be pretty much immediately obvious if someone tried to pass off a knockoff, and there's a very small market for them, so chances are there are no fakes out there.

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 17
I doubt that. Do you see a lot of people using HD800/S in public? Only a small minority has the HD800/S so it's probably not worth the time and effort for the counterfeit makers. The Airpods on the other hand and Beats too, those are extremely populair and youngsters might fall for the counterfeits if they don't know better or if they lack common sense.

Audiophiles and audio-enthousiasts like me won't be looking on Aliexpress, Banggood, Wish or any other webstores. Instead, we be looking on authorized webstores. Better pay full price and be happy than pay less and get greeted with a counterfeit.

Marshall products like the headphones are popular too so there are counterfeits too. Some months ago I got scammed with a fake Marshall Stockwell speaker including the flip cover. I own the OEM product myself so I knew it's a ***ing fake! That ***cker wanted me to send it back, suuure, like I want to pay €30-60 for the shipping... I opened a case on PayPal and because the seller didn't respond, I got my money back. I still have the counterfeit under my bed, I might give it to my sister as she doesn't care about but I think it's better idea to dispose it because of the safety due to the charger and battery not legally FCC or whatever they are called when approving products.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 17
Another thing worth noting, is that it's possible that a factory producing OEM parts for the real thing may sell some (with or without permission) on the side. Do you think they start a whole factory just to make the counterfeits? Maybe not.

In that case, the counterfeit they'd sell would be literally the real thing. Of course you probably wouldn't be able to tell, and it's certainly not every case.

Another thing that is very interesting is the IEM market in China. It has exploded. There are hundreds of options and offerings and they are CHEAP and GOOD. These companies are already Chinese. Who would make a counterfeit of an IEM that is already so inexpensive and already made in China? You can't. The free market works in wonderful ways.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 17
What about Amazon (US)? I have seen HD 800S about $400 cheaper than on the authorized resellers. It is tempting, but I wouldn't know how to check if those are real. There is also the issue with the warranty if those are grey market.

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 17
Very doubtful, especially since Sennheiser doesn't manufacture these in China. Often you'll see counterfeiting from China when OEMs already have the tooling for the parts. These also aren't quite mass market enough to make it worth the effort. Honestly, if the price is suspiciously low its more likely they're stolen

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 17
Introduced back in 2009, if there were knock-offs we should know/heard it by now...but there is none. Its not Rolex..:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back