Are there different HD 595 versions?
May 5, 2007 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chrysoberyl

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not asking about the old 120 ohms and the new ones,but about different sound signatures among them.I've noticed that some people say that they're bass shy and bright,and others,like me,think that they're warm and bass heavy.
Is this due to real differences or to differences in taste and perception?
blink.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 14
I also owned a pair of the 595's about a 2 years ago.
They did sound sort of bass shy and were lively, forward, and extended, and sort of easy to overdrive.
One of the drivers started rattling about 10 months ago, so I sent them, under warranty, to Sennheiser and they sent me a new replacement pair.
The replacement pair sounded VERY different!
They are the ones I descibed on this forum as bass heavy, sort of boomy, and rolled of on top. I prefered the sound of my first pair, but I can drive my latest ones to louder volumes without break-up! These newest ones also seem less efficient than my first ones as well. This last pair doesn't really sound bad at all, it just doesn't have the clarity and liveliness of my first pair.
I noticed the differences soon as I put them on for the first time.
I thought it might have been a burn-in issue, but it was not.
Its definitely not different tastes or perceptions, its real!
Maybe the impedance WAS different, I cannot remember what the impedance was on my first pair. They may well have been 120 ohms. Does seem sort of like their box may indeed have said 120 ohms. The first pair were made in Ireland according to the box that came with them at the time.
I went and dug out the original box for my latest pair, that I still have on hand.This latest pair is 50 ohms, and they 'Designed and engineered in Germany- acoustics made in europe-made in China', according to the original box.
Has anyone ever compared the sounds of the 50 ohm and 120 ohm versions?

May 5, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 14
I knew there had to be something like that! It seems that the guys at headroom listened to the bright one,because I bought the headphones following their advice(I don't like warm cans!) and I was a little disappointed when they didn't become much brighter after burning in(although they changed a lot during the process).
It also puzzles me when people describe the 600 and 580 as dark and veiled,when for me they are very transparent and much brighter than my 595,at least the ones that my friend bought when they came out some years ago...maybe we have the same situation here,Sennheiser changing the drivers for some reason without saying a word about it,or maybe I need to have my ears checked!

May 5, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 14
well honestly....595's are not bright. they are "bright" compared to the other senn's. in reality they are still sennheisers. they definitely are bass-shy however. if you compared them to bright headphones like grado's, they are still considered pretty warm and bassy. i actually don't like the 595's very much because they don't fall in any category. it's like they are trying too hard to be grado's, but in actuality they are still sennheisers, but shunned by their brothers for trying to be something they're not
wink.gif

May 5, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 14
I bought a pair from Headroom about 3 weeks ago and they sounded fine until I compared them to the K701s and HD650s. They had less bass than the 701s and were not bright at all. I ended up returning them. There was certainly no boom to the bass so maybe daltonlanny got a tweaked pair, whether on purpose or accidentally.

If you just want to listen to music with decent detail, they are nice cans. If you intend to analyze the music and want every detail you can get, look elsewhere.

May 6, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also owned a pair of the 595's about a 2 years ago.
They did sound sort of bass shy and were lively, forward, and extended, and sort of easy to overdrive.
One of the drivers started rattling about 10 months ago, so I sent them, under warranty, to Sennheiser and they sent me a new replacement pair.
The replacement pair sounded VERY different!
They are the ones I descibed on this forum as bass heavy, sort of boomy, and rolled of on top. I prefered the sound of my first pair, but I can drive my latest ones to louder volumes without break-up! These newest ones also seem less efficient than my first ones as well. This last pair doesn't really sound bad at all, it just doesn't have the clarity and liveliness of my first pair.
I noticed the differences soon as I put them on for the first time.
I thought it might have been a burn-in issue, but it was not.
Its definitely not different tastes or perceptions, its real!
Maybe the impedance WAS different, I cannot remember what the impedance was on my first pair. They may well have been 120 ohms. Does seem sort of like their box may indeed have said 120 ohms. The first pair were made in Ireland according to the box that came with them at the time.
I went and dug out the original box for my latest pair, that I still have on hand.This latest pair is 50 ohms, and they 'Designed and engineered in Germany- acoustics made in europe-made in China', according to the original box.
Has anyone ever compared the sounds of the 50 ohm and 120 ohm versions?

are you useing any amp to drive it? i'm useing pa2v2, the bass heavy, sort of boomy sound goes away.

May 10, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well honestly....595's are not bright. they are "bright" compared to the other senn's. in reality they are still sennheisers. they definitely are bass-shy however. if you compared them to bright headphones like grado's, they are still considered pretty warm and bassy. i actually don't like the 595's very much because they don't fall in any category. it's like they are trying too hard to be grado's, but in actuality they are still sennheisers, but shunned by their brothers for trying to be something they're not
wink.gif

But they are darker than the 600 and the 580! The sound is a lot closer to the 650,though,without the extra extension at the bass and the highs.

May 10, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

wink.gif

Please beware not to mistaken "forward" with "bright." I have not heard many people call the HD595 "bright", but many (including myself) believe they are a more forward headphone than both the 650 and the 580. If you are talking about "bright", I'd say the HD580 has a much brighter treble. The higher ohm version has a slighter bigger bass, other than that, not much difference with the lower-impedance version. If you pair them with a warm amp, the HD595 will produce CLEAN DEEP bass that can wow you, unlike the HD580 where you will notice the bass in every note of every soundtrack.
plainface.gif

May 10, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please beware not to mistaken "forward" with "bright." I have not heard many people call the HD595 "bright", but many (including myself) believe they are a more forward headphone than both the 650 and the 580. If you are talking about "bright", I'd say the HD580 has a much brighter treble. The higher ohm version has a slighter bigger bass, other than that, not much difference with the lower-impedance version. If you pair them with a warm amp, the HD595 will produce CLEAN DEEP bass that can wow you, unlike the HD580 where you will notice the bass in every note of every soundtrack.
plainface.gif

I stand corrected. However I find that the 595's are trying too hard to be a "non-Sennheiser" that they start to lose the darker Sennheiser sound that I and many have grown to love through my 580's. If I wanted to listen to forward-sounding phones I would go with my Alessandro's (which I guess you can say are trying too hard to be "non-Grado's," but still don't lose their edginess).

May 10, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I stand corrected. However I find that the 595's are trying too hard to be a "non-Sennheiser" that they start to lose the darker Sennheiser sound that I and many have grown to love through my 580's. If I wanted to listen to forward-sounding phones I would go with my Alessandro's (which I guess you can say are trying too hard to be "non-Grado's," but still don't lose their edginess).

LOL, i feel like ure saying my 595 is a nerd trying to act like a "cool" kid in school. Nonetheless, the 595 is a very distinct headphone with neither a laid-bak signature nor an in-your-face sound. Some might call it boring while some might say it's the ultimate "referencing" type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back