are there better looking 1/4" jack then the neutrik locking?
Apr 27, 2004 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
my next amp will be all black, so i am looking for quality 1/4" black jacks. personally i like neutrik's black locking jacks, but the red push button just COMPLETELY kills the sexy black look.

maybe i can paint over the red switch, maybe...

which one do you guys think look better?
1_204_57051.png
vs.
2_204_168271.png

also, where in US can i get those black alum knobs found on Ray Samuel amps?

thanks!

[edit]bad grammer

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 18
i agree. the red tabbed neutricks are probably the ugliest thing i have ever seen, and never again will i ever buy an amp with that kind of jack on it.

another option (and one i like the most i think) is the one that meier uses, without any tab at all:
frontprehead480.jpg

Apr 27, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 18
pfs... from what i remember from my father telling me if you paint plastic you might want to remove the plastic and shave off a mm to allow for the paint and the make the paint stick, as if you dont the paint will grind off and it may get stuck

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 18
thanks for the input guys,
vinyl dye sounds intersting, but i like the combo plug better, and i argee with grinch, without the tab that jack matches well with black enclosures

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 18
Yes, instead of mounting from the front with a recatableuar upart that sticks out, you mount in itnto a hole from behind the bezel. It's cleaner.

BTW, the Neutrik combo jack is composite, so it's basically plastic, if that bothers you at all/

-Ed

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 18
Awhile back I bought just about every 1/4" jack I could get my hands on. And as far as a solid feeling when you plug in, the neutrik locking jack was definetely number 1, but number 2 was the deluxe radio shack jack. It has a black rectangular casing, like 8 pins, and a little gold ring at the exposed tip. It had the least amount of slop and the best look to it in my opionion. Go take a peek and see what you think.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by groggory
Awhile back I bought just about every 1/4" jack I could get my hands on. And as far as a solid feeling when you plug in, the neutrik locking jack was definetely number 1, but number 2 was the deluxe radio shack jack. It has a black rectangular casing, like 8 pins, and a little gold ring at the exposed tip. It had the least amount of slop and the best look to it in my opionion. Go take a peek and see what you think.

you do know that you are a wanted man on 2 forums correct? Seems that you blocked me from aim as well. But heads up people, groggory owes some people other there amps and has their money.
http://genmay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=308973
theres a thread about it on hardforums as well, but its currently down for a vb3.0 upgrade.

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 18
I’ve always been partial to the look of locking ones that don’t' have the red tab(the one on the left).

Quote:

but number 2 was the deluxe radio shack jack

The deluxe Radio Shack 1/4inch jacks have a real nice fit. I think tangent listed them on the CMOY Tutorial. Unfortunately I think Radio Shack may have stopped carrying them as they are not listed on the website anymore and they didn't have them in store. I've seen REAN 1/4inch jacks on some amps around here and they look nice.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes, instead of mounting from the front with a recatableuar upart that sticks out, you mount in itnto a hole from behind the bezel. It's cleaner.

BTW, the Neutrik combo jack is composite, so it's basically plastic, if that bothers you at all/

-Ed

ya, i have thought about mounting the clocking from the back side of pannel, but that red push button is still ugly
smily_headphones1.gif

and i really like combo jack's look, i dont think plastic body will bother me, seeing that other high-dollor amps use them and i think they look very cool with black enclosures

May 2, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 18
grrr..
finally decided on neutrik combo jacks, search mouser and the only models they carry are NCJ9FI-H and NCJ9FI-V
mad.gif

both have the silver push tab
mad.gif
mad.gif

any other suggestions on good-looking 1/4" jacks?

May 2, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
grrr..
finally decided on neutrik combo jacks, search mouser and the only models they carry are NCJ9FI-H and NCJ9FI-V
mad.gif

both have the silver push tab
mad.gif
mad.gif

any other suggestions on good-looking 1/4" jacks?

I don't think it's possible to get the tabless version in the US. However, given that it's really easy to take the red tab out of the Neutrik locking jack (very easy disassembly/assembly), I assume it shoul be pretty straightforward to just take the tab out.

I was going to try this for my amp too, except that I didn't find the whole combo look very pretty...
tongue.gif

May 2, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 18
very easy to take apart the locking jack eh?
eek.gif

THANKS doobooloo, that's exactly what i needed to hear!, ixeo's idea on vinyl dye now becomes much much easier if the tab comes off,

i'll just order an locking jack from mouser, (BTW, i was having a hard time searching for black locking jack's part number on mouser, someone please help me
tongue.gif
)

i just emailed neutrik USA service deapartment and neutrik USA sales reps asking for a sample tabless jack, hope i get one
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back