Are there any other young head-fi'ers among you who can't hear above ~16 kHz?
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guess? Or have you actually tested your ears and know that you can hear 20+?

ya, i tested it with some online app... i don't know why i said "i guess." i wasn't expecting to maybe...

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya, i tested it with some online app... i don't know why i said "i guess." i wasn't expecting to maybe...

Cool. may I ask you why you tell me about it in this thread? This thread is made so that those who can't hear much above 16 kHz can post and tell their experiences on how they lost the upper registers and how they cope, not for those with golden ears to brag about how their ears break the 20 kHz barrier.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What job is that?
Deterer of teenagers? Do you just stand out the front of stores and squeal at supersonic frequencies audible only to teenagers and yourself?

No, really I am quite curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

LOL I am curious too.

I am a mastering engineer.
biggrin.gif

See the link in my sig?

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a mastering engineer.
biggrin.gif

See the link in my sig?

Great. Nice to hear that your hearing is so awesome.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Cool. may I ask you why you tell me about it in this thread? This thread is made so that those who can't hear much above 16 kHz can post and tell their experiences on how they lost the upper registers and how they cope, not for those with golden ears to brag about how their ears break the 20 kHz barrier.

lol. my bad.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. my bad.

Nothing funny about it.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #52 of 57
My hearing is getting worse, but I have NOT tested it since August when it was still over 18,5 in both ears. I took a plane to China and suffered a bit of head trauma after a bad cold. I need to test again as sometimes, I feel that my hearing is really taking a beating.

I am not young though: 30 years old. I hope to God that it hasn't suddenly gotten worse.

I also have tinnitus.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #53 of 57
Pianist:
I'm over twice your age, but your current hearing condition seems to parallel mine pretty closely. I think in normal range my ears are 'musical' like yours, and I can hear up to 16Khz. Above that it seems to turn to pain rather than hearing. If I turn up the volume on an 18Khz signal and listen for more than a second or two I get a headache that can last for a minute or more.

I also notice an imbalance between my ears' listening ability.
With headphones in particular it feels as though the music is centered a half-inch or so to the right of the center of my head. For that reason, I prefer to use my HD650s at work instead of my IEMs; I can turn the headphone around backwards and ascertain whether or not the music (or music player) has an imbalance or whether or not it's my ears.

Adjusting the L-R volume balance doesn't generally tend to solve the problem. I think that's because the imbalance is not the same at all frequencies. If I'm able to determine a volume imbalance scale, it would be interesting to apply an equalizer to just the left channel and see what happens. I'll have to check out that hearing test website mentioned above.

The imbalance makes it more challenging to dial in my equipment at home for sure. I've got tubes in my phono preamp, my preamp, and my headphone amp. All the tubes are contenders for noise/volume issues, and if I have a hard time trusting my ears then it makes it that much harder to know if the equipment has a problem or if it's just me.

I do have some tinnitus, and the noise is slightly louder in my left ear than my right, by the way. The perception of tinnitus varies from day to day. It clearly gets louder when my blood pressure is higher... it's yet another good reason to stay in shape.

One final thought -- and this is for me as much as for you -- let it go. Accept your hearing limitations, and go enjoy the music anyways. It's fine and commendable to understand your limits, but consider yourself lucky to have musical ears and a mind that's interested in music.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My hearing is getting worse, but I have NOT tested it since August when it was still over 18,5 in both ears. I took a plane to China and suffered a bit of head trauma after a bad cold. I need to test again as sometimes, I feel that my hearing is really taking a beating.

I am not young though: 30 years old. I hope to God that it hasn't suddenly gotten worse.

I also have tinnitus.

Not bad for a 30 year old. By the time I will be 30, I will probably be down to 15k or less. By the time I am 40, it's gonna be 13-14, by the time I am 50, it's gonna be 12...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jopagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One final thought -- and this is for me as much as for you -- let it go. Accept your hearing limitations, and go enjoy the music anyways. It's fine and commendable to understand your limits, but consider yourself lucky to have musical ears and a mind that's interested in music.

Thank you the advice, but it's really not easy to accept that my hearing is crap now, considering I haven't done much wrong to my ears really. I never went to loud concerts and I always wear hearing protection in noisy places. Yeah, I did listen for about 2 years at fairly loud volumes, but I can't believe that caused the problem, because I mostly listened to my BA IEMs and none are strong at 16 khz+. At least not enough to damage my hearing in those frequencies like that. And also, that doesn't make any sense why I have loss above 16khz, but have hardly any loss at all in the lower frequencies. My hearing from 500Hz-8 khz is in fact, quite a bit above normal.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Great. Nice to hear that your hearing is so awesome.

I wouldn't say it's awesome....but thanks.
biggrin.gif

I wish I could hear up to 20kHz.
redface.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say it's awesome....but thanks.
biggrin.gif

I wish I could hear up to 20kHz.
redface.gif

Well, considering that most people above 30 can't hear over 17, I think you hearing is indeed awesome and you really have nothing to complain about. But of course, very often people don't value something all that much until they lose it - that's just human nature.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #57 of 57
My range is just barely over the 16Khz region as well, this is based off a progressive frequency track that goes from 10hz-30khz, professionally, I wouldn't expect any better results.

I too fell victim to rock concerts and loud music playing during my early teen years. Tinnitus to thank for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back