Are there any IN-EAR HEADPHONE listeners that need higher volumes in OVER-EAR HEADPHONE?
Jan 31, 2015 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ActiveTechREV

New Head-Fier
In ear listener needs higher volume for over ear headphones? Need Help with .. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Westone UM Pro10, Shure se215, Volume and hearing sensitivity concerns...

I just got the DT 770 Pro 80ohm, I love the quality of these but I'm finding that that they aren't loud enough. I bought a headphone amp (creative e1) and the quality and volume has been boosted. Great listening experience, but now I'm having some concerns with my hearing. 

Today I wore them for 30 minutes listening to various types of music. I started at about 70% volume and eventually went 90%.  When I was done listening I started my shift at work and noticed a very faint ringing in the ear. 

I love high end audio and love immersing myself in all the notes when I can, but I'm concerned about my long term hearing.

I've used in-ear headphones for quite sometime and recently decided to give over ear a try.  But because of the difference of the distance of the speaker of in ear vs over ear, it seems I need a higher volume for over the ear headphones to get desired volume.

Are there any IN-EAR HEADPHONE listeners that need higher volumes in OVER-EAR HEADPHONE?  

Do you think that this increases the risk of hearing damage?

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 4
There ya go - perfectly normal. That's why IEMs can actually be *safer* for your ears than traditional headphones, which is something people often get wrong. If you block more outside noise, the inside noise doesn't have to be as loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back