Are there any great headphone deals in HK?
Oct 10, 2006 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

So I have the opportunity to pick up some headphones/amps etc from Hong Kong but in all honesty I don't know what I want or what is cheaper there!

I am currently ampless, so if there is a cheap place there to get a half decent headphone amp I could get one. I also have the following headphones and would be willing to try something new:

HD650
DT770/80
PX100
Super.Fi 5Pro

I strongly prefer full size headphones to IEM.

I've had a gilmore lite which I liked but I don't think I need an amp that expensive so any input is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Doug

Oct 10, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 17
HD650 cost $359.
HD600 cost $231.

Audio isn't that cheap in HK, but what you can nearly always expect is uninflated prices.

Oct 11, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 17
Definitely try to get that glass FEEL amplifier if you can. The FEEL HP-200 SE I believe?

Shipping costs kill it for most of us ($200 in shipping), but if you can carry it onboard, go for it!

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 17
Exactly the question I was going to ask!

I have the option of buying some stuff from Hong Kong (my Dad is going on a business trip there very soon) and I was going to ask him to pick me up a pair of HD595s.

Is there any audio products in HK significantly cheaper than over here in the States that he should pick up? (Maybe even instead of/in addition to my HD595s)

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 17
Audio Technicas? AD2000 are USD$500 here. If you get your dad to bring it back for you, you can be assured of its safety, peace of mind and guarantee that no import duties will have to be paid, etc...

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 17
When I went back in july, all I could find were $99 AT earbuds, and cheapo japanese branded ones. I couldnt find any highend full size headphones.
Maybe I searched the wrong places.

PS. I LOVE HK

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Audio Technicas? AD2000 are USD$500 here. If you get your dad to bring it back for you, you can be assured of its safety, peace of mind and guarantee that no import duties will have to be paid, etc...

Sweet! I heard the Audio-Technica A900 was better for gaming than the Sennheiser HD595, and that is what I do. Only question is, are they as tough as the HD595s? Mine may recieve a beating.

Should I have him pick up a pair of A900s? I needed something in the $170 range or below.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 17
i got my 650's around 325 USD(2600HKD) yesterday in Wanchai computer center
i saw 595's around 200US(1600HKD)

lambda.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 17
Can some head-fiers living in HK post some addresses (in Chinese or English) or suburbs of recommended audio shops?

I'm heading back to Hong Kong for a month or two in late november so might take the opportunity to find some gear while there.

Oct 11, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 17
Kingsound Audio:
店舖地址:九龍旺角洗衣街39號金雞廣場12樓1217室(乘3,4號升降機)
Shop Address: Unit 1217, 12 Floor, Golden Era Plaza, 39 Sai Yee Street, Mongkok, Kowloon. (Take No. 3, 4 elevator)

The thing I love about HK is that the prices are decent and once you spring for it, the headphones are there, in your hand (as long as they're in stock), no waiting for shipping.

Oct 11, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 17
you can get good deal form kingsondmax.
in case you want to test headphone, you can go to this shop/club
《 亦軒耳機俱樂部 》 url : http://www.mingo-hmw.com/
地址: 九龍旺角花園街 2-16 號 好景商業中心 7 樓 711室 電話: 27706919
《開放時間》: 逢星期一/二/四/五/六 下午2 時至晚上8 時。
《 星期三及星期日休息 》
There is no english address from their web page.
Before you visit Mingo's club, you can chat with him by phone.

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnytop999
《 星期三及星期日休息 》

Apparently it's like real-life Head-Fi. Every day, there are dozens of audiophiles who visit his shop for a chat. Pretty awesome place to go to. I've yet to go myself! Also, it's on of the only shops where you can listen before you buy. Apparently, there are lots of amps and demo gear out for literally anyone to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLBieRe
i got my 650's around 325 USD(2600HKD) yesterday in Wanchai computer center
i saw 595's around 200US(1600HKD)

lambda.gif

That's a pretty damn good deal for the HD650!

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman
Can some head-fiers living in HK post some addresses (in Chinese or English) or suburbs of recommended audio shops?

I'm heading back to Hong Kong for a month or two in late november so might take the opportunity to find some gear while there.

There are LOADS of shops that sell headphones in Hong Kong. Most of them are around the Mong Kok area. Usually one shop won't have 'em all, so you have to look around. The biggest problem is that they're usually hidden inside small underground shopping centres or up in the buildings, which make them impossible to find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons
Kingsound Audio:
店舖地址:九龍旺角洗衣街39號金雞廣場12樓1217室(乘3,4號升降機)
Shop Address: Unit 1217, 12 Floor, Golden Era Plaza, 39 Sai Yee Street, Mongkok, Kowloon. (Take No. 3, 4 elevator)

The thing I love about HK is that the prices are decent and once you spring for it, the headphones are there, in your hand (as long as they're in stock), no waiting for shipping.

The website is headphonehk.com You can email him for price quotes.
Hong Kong Dollar to USD rate is 7.76 HKD per USD.

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 17
As Milkpowder says, a lot of shops sell headphones but carry limited selection and are hard to find. A little but not a great deal cheaper than if purchased in your home country.

There's a nice headphone shop on Tung Choi street right by Prosperity Bld. Has pretty much every brand I can think of. Prosperity Bld is 61 Tung Choi and houses www.diyclub.biz which you should check out for the DAC's, amps, and DIY supplies. The headphone shop is in the basement level of the southeast corner of that block. A bunch of other audio stores and a hairdresser in the basement.

Japanese brand phones (AT, Stax, Sony, etc.) are generally much cheaper in Japan. Grado, Senn, Beyer and western country produced phones are generally the same price world wide, you're just saving on taxes. You don't even want to buy a made in China headphone.

Oct 11, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnytop999
《 星期三及星期日休息 》

I met Mingo at a Hong Kong meet last year. Nice guy and enthusiastic about headphones. Kind of like the HK version of Jude, I'd imagine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back