Are there any good IEMs with iPod controls?
Oct 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PolkManiac

100+ Head-Fier
I"m trying to build a good portable setup, and am looking for IEMs that will work well with an iPod.  I have an iPod classic and have swapped out the drive with a 250GB drive that I have loaded with lossless audio.  I"m wanting the best sound I can get driven directly from an iPod, not looking to carry around an amp, not even something small like the CMOY designs.

I currently have a pair of PSB M4U2 headphones that I drive from the iPod and they sound SUPERB, but I need something more portable and a little less obvious for here at work.  I've looked through the large IEM comparison thread, but have a more targeted question here and am hoping someone can help me out.

So here's what I'm looking for:

-  In-ear (I know there's different types, I just need something small that fits in the ear)
-  Can be driven directly by an iPod
-  iPod controls
-  $300 or less

I actually really like the new earPods that came with my new iPhone in terms of how they fit, I like the fact that they sorta just sit in the ear vs having to be crammed inside the ear.  The sound is good, but I"m willing to spend more to get better sound, and if there was another headphone out there with that kind of design that would be ideal.

Any help is appreciated.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 14
The Klipsch Image X10i, Harmen Kardon AE, B&W C5, UE900, UE TF10i and Sony XBA4i are very good upgrades ver earPods and they comes with apple remote/mic.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 14
I would recommend:

Etymotic MC3 with the NRB Mod...

You don't have to spend 300 bucks to get good sound.

Jim

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Go to Apple's web site store and see all the brands that come with controls. They have user reviews as well.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Oct 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
The Klipsch Image X10i, Harmen Kardon AE, B&W C5, UE900, UE TF10i and Sony XBA4i are very good upgrades ver earPods and they comes with apple remote/mic.

Quote:
I would recommend:
Etymotic MC3 with the NRB Mod...
You don't have to spend 300 bucks to get good sound.
Jim

These or the Ety HF series (HF3?) plus Shure has an extra iPod cable available, they want $50 for it thou

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 14
The problem there is that most people wouldn't know good sound if it bit them in the ass, which is why I'm asking here on a specialized forum vs reading reviews from a bunch of people who don't know squat.  

Thanks for the input so far though, looking into the sugggestions above.
Quote:
Go to Apple's web site store and see all the brands that come with controls. They have user reviews as well.

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 14
The problem there is that most people wouldn't know good sound if it bit them in the ass, which is why I'm asking here on a specialized forum vs reading reviews from a bunch of people who don't know squat.  

Thanks for the input so far though, looking into the sugggestions above.

You are coming off like a dick. Is that on purpose?

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 14
Im sorry, do I know you?  I assume so since you feel comfortable making personal attacks.  My remark stands as posted.  I'm not saying that NOBODY who buys from Apple knows sound, but the general public does not have the same appreciation or understanding of sound that we do, otherwise there would be 300 million members of this forum...

By the way, take a look at the reviews of the Bose headphones on the Apple site.  According to the reviews on that site, ALL 3 pair of Bose headphones that are listed are 'better' (as in have higher reviews) than the UE 900, which elsewhere and on here seems to be a highly regarded headphone.  All 3 pair of B&W are also rated better and those also have mixed reviews here.

I rest my case...

Quote:
You are coming off like a dick. Is that on purpose?

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Help Us, Help You...

If those other (Common Folks) opinions do not matter. Then what makes you think that ours here are any better.

Let me help you out.
1 Goto any source of info you chose and read.
2 Make a few choices based on your own investigation.
3 Post a more specific question about your needs.
4 Then perhaps you can get more help.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you buy the Apple EarPods.

Good Stuff IMO, Jim

Im sorry, do I know you?  I assume so since you feel comfortable making personal attacks.  My remark stands as posted.  I'm not saying that NOBODY who buys from Apple knows sound, but the general public does not have the same appreciation or understanding of sound that we do, otherwise there would be 300 million members of this forum...

By the way, take a look at the reviews of the Bose headphones on the Apple site.  According to the reviews on that site, ALL 3 pair of Bose headphones that are listed are 'better' (as in have higher reviews) than the UE 900, which elsewhere and on here seems to be a highly regarded headphone.  All 3 pair of B&W are also rated better and those also have mixed reviews here.

I rest my case...

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Wow, very odd responses...I'm half sorry I asked. 

The reason I would expect the responses here to be better, or more valuable to me anyway, than the reviews on the Apple site is because THATS WHAT WE DO HERE.  We are a specialized forum that talks about headphones.  There are specialized forums about all kinds of topics all over the internet, where people ask specific questions every day.  There are THOUSANDS of threads on here of people asking 'what should I buy' or 'is product A or B better', how's this any different?

All I was looking for were a few suggestions.  I didn't ask anyone to go out and do significant research and pick out my product for me, I just asked for suggestions.  So I ask for suggestions on what you guys like, you throw some options out there, and then I go do the research and come back with any specific questions, something like that.

I agree that the Apple store is a good resource, but there have already been options mentioned here that are not available at the Apple store, so clearly it's worth asking here.

As I mentioned in the first post I already have the EarPods and am looking for something with better sound.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but really I asked a question that was pretty clear and targeted and suggestions like 'didja think to check the Apple store' aren't all that helpful given my original post.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 14
Here....

In this thread there is a chart which will explain all IEM reviewed that have controls. They're marked "i" I've linked you to the post in question.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-256-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-20-r-30-added-09-29-12#post_6492059

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Thanks
Quote:
Here....
In this thread there is a chart which will explain all IEM reviewed that have controls. They're marked "i" I've linked you to the post in question.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-256-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-20-r-30-added-09-29-12#post_6492059

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 14
etymotic hf3 (or hf2) i forget, klipsch x10i, etc. don't know what your price range is though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back