Are there any cheap monitors [speakers] that sound good?
Oct 20, 2006 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

1967cutlass

500+ Head-Fier
I have a set of old advent loudspeakers that I really like, but they lack detail and they're huge. I need some cheap near-field monitors that have great detail and some extension. They need to be shielded to use near a computer monitor.

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 18
Just so you can feel my pain, I'm using some cheap 5$ bose speakers I found at a garage sale so I would have something that fits in my dorm room. I've had to sell off ALL of my headphone gear except for my im716's. I could really use some audio help.

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
Just so you can feel my pain, I'm using some cheap 5$ bose speakers I found at a garage sale so I would have something that fits in my dorm room. I've had to sell off ALL of my headphone gear except for my im716's. I could really use some audio help.

Check out this thread.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184546

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 18
M-Audio DX4 monitors sound pretty good for their teeny size.

Glad to see another vintage enthusiast! What were you driving those Advents with?

EDIT: Ah, Pioneer SX-454. Nice receiver.
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
M-Audio DX4 monitors sound pretty good for their teeny size.

Glad to see another vintage enthusiast! What were you driving those Advents with?

EDIT: Ah, Pioneer SX-454. Nice receiver.
biggrin.gif

Yep, I love the vsx-454, although I don't know much about it other than that it has always performed admirably. I love the advents too, I refinished them in a dark cherry color (somewhat poorly), refoamed them, and redid the grilles with black fabric. I'll probably refinish them properly in a few years, I really like them. I'll have to dig for pics of those...

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 18
I bought a set for my brother-in-law to hook up to his crappy sony reciever, and I was pretty impressed, so I bought a set to fill out my 7.1 setup, and another set for my computer hooked up to a pioneer elite a35r. Overall I'm pretty impressed for the $50. Beware that they aren't shielded. In that thread that was linked somebody was talking about how they ordered parts online for $15/speaker to shield them. Mine are about 9 inches away from the monitor without any problem.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 18
If you were looking for ultra budget speakers, the KLH 911B has been recommended to me. For the price (was supposed to have been at Best Buy at 9.99 a pair) they can't be beat. Probably a few floating around NIB on Ebay. They're said to not have much bass but do really well when paired with a sub. They're shielded as well.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sagekoala
I bought a set for my brother-in-law to hook up to his crappy sony reciever, and I was pretty impressed, so I bought a set to fill out my 7.1 setup, and another set for my computer hooked up to a pioneer elite a35r. Overall I'm pretty impressed for the $50. Beware that they aren't shielded. In that thread that was linked somebody was talking about how they ordered parts online for $15/speaker to shield them. Mine are about 9 inches away from the monitor without any problem.

I can handle 9 inches.

Are there any cheap stands for these?

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 18
I use Yamaha in the radio transmission room. Sealed enclosure 8in speakers, but I forget the model number. But they sound natural.
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 18
If you are at all comfortable with DIY, you may want to consider making some monitors yourself. If you are ok with some lean bass (considering you want small studio monitors, I'm guessing you are), you may want to consider something like the Fostex FF85K driver in one of their standard bass reflex enclosures. Scroll down to the bottom of the second page and take a look. The drivers are $32 each, and you won't have to worry about any crossover components, so all your money goes into getting good drivers. For less than $100, you would have a pretty slick setup me thinks.

Aditya

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
If you are at all comfortable with DIY, you may want to consider making some monitors yourself. If you are ok with some lean bass (considering you want small studio monitors, I'm guessing you are), you may want to consider something like the Fostex FF85K driver in one of their standard bass reflex enclosures. Scroll down to the bottom of the second page and take a look. The drivers are $32 each, and you won't have to worry about any crossover components, so all your money goes into getting good drivers. For less than $100, you would have a pretty slick setup me thinks.

Aditya

I am comfortable with DIY but from everything I've read about the fostex full range's they definately aren't what I'm looking for. If I were to build anything I would build one of zaph's designs.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back