Are there any anti static wrist bands that actually work?
Sep 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

metreonfuture

Head-Fier
I just realized that my rosewill POS one doesn't work. Any of you know of some that are guaranteed to work?

and is there any way to test one with stuff lying around the house?

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 5
and is this accurate?

Pros: Probably does what it's supposed to; none of my parts are fried...
Cons: Uncomfortable
Other Thoughts: A frequent complaint here and elsewhere is that many of the units appear to be duds from the factory with non-continuity (that is, a break somewhere in the internals). So, the first thing I did when I opened it up was test it with an ohm-meter. I was quickly dismayed to find a resistivity of zero ohms. Then I got to thinking ... an anti-static wrist strap is going to require some serious resistivity. I bumped the meter up to the maximum multiplication and voila, plenty of ohms. I can only assume it would have done its job, but do test before you use, and remember to bump up your meter's multiplication if you get a zero reading.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 5
Static straps may fail at any time. If you rely on them you must have a test station and use it frequently. In other words, there is a risk of static damage even if you are diligent.

I suggest to not worry about static straps. Put your components and work objects on a static mat or metal tray.  When you sit down to work, first touch the metal tray so there is no static differential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back