Are there actually any Scientists in the Sound SCIENCE forum?????/
Oct 22, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys

My take on this is that, "You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

USG

The problem is that a lot of people don't know which way is north, in my opinion. You have to make some kind of measurement outside of the human senses. We are inherently flawed and incapable of fine measurement, and in my opinion, you can't come to a logical conclusion on something like this without an objective point of view.

By the way, I'm a Chemist, and that has nothing to do with audio, but it has highly oriented me in terms of logical thinking ability. I think any technical field will do that.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that a lot of people don't know which way is north, in my opinion. You have to make some kind of measurement outside of the human senses. We are inherently flawed and incapable of fine measurement, and in my opinion, you can't come to a logical conclusion on something like this without an objective point of view.

By the way, I'm a Chemist, and that has nothing to do with audio, but it has highly oriented me in terms of logical thinking ability. I think any technical field will do that.

You're right that logical reasoning is based heavily on objective information. However, is reasoning the only way of knowing? What gives you the right to suggest that reasoning is any more/less valid than trusting our senses? Our emotions? They are just as real, to be certain - so why not give them equal weight? Why not allow the subjective to go hand-in-hand with the empirically derived knowledge?

As such, if I believe I hear a difference between, say, cables, so what if the empirical evidence is to the contrary? Logic is a path to truth, but is it really the only valid path, and does it lead to the whole truth?

...does it show that I took one semester of epistemology five years ago?
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What gives you the right to suggest that reasoning is any more/less valid than trusting our senses? Our emotions? They are just as real, to be certain - so why not give them equal weight? Why not allow the subjective to go hand-in-hand with the empirically derived knowledge?

Haha 'cause that's not the scientific method? ... and he's a scientist?

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's quite naive to view Science as absolute truth. Look at many cosmetic ads, they make certain claims (e.g. reduces signs of aging) with a reference to a publication is some journal somewhere.

An individual who meets a/b/c in the original post should have absolutely no problem differentiating between a well-conducted study published in a reputable peer review journal vs. a company-sponsored cosmetic "study" written in a throwaway journal. Thank you for illustrating why I was interested in what people who met a/b/c criteria thought.

Quote:

Often they use ABX. Do you find there results credible? I usually don't for various reasons. If you have enough money/power etc. you can get science to "prove" whatever you want.

First of all, you wouldn't really use an ABX methodology to test cosmetics. This implies that you expose a person to two different cosmetics (A and B), followed by an unknown (X), and ask them if X is A or B. That doesn't make any sense. Secondly, by your reasoning, NO scientific study is valid because by your argument, "if you have enough money/power, you can get science to prove whatever you want." That's funny, the last time I checked, tobacco was a multi-BILLION dollar industry, and I haven't seen studies claiming that smoking is good for your heart and reduces your risk of cancer. Might want to rethink that, my friend.

Quote:

Btw, I satisfy at least 2 of the 3 criterion listed in your OP, possibly 3 if you believe in quasiempiricism
wink.gif

Sorry, looking for all 3.

Quote:

Also, I can't resist but point out that the OP intentionally excludes engineers for some reason yet the journal he keeps referring to is an engineering journal.

I already addressed this very point in http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/t...9/#post6040047

Quote:

I'm not saying that the test must be flawed but rather, when a test produces a result that is somewhat counter to "common intuition" (right or wrong), then it's worth considering whether there is something wrong with the test.

And simultaneously, when a test produces a result that is somewhat counter to "common intuition," then it's worth considering whether there is something wrong with your "common intuition." A person who meets a/b/c criteria is accustomed to identifying aspects of the methodology, statistical analysis, or issues of generalizability that could affect the validity of the results, positively or negatively. A person who does not meet a/b/c criteria is more likely to singlehandedly dismiss a study because well, it's not consistent with his "common intuition." So what's the point of performing a study to evaluate your "common intuition" if you're only going to accept the study results if they support your "common intuition?"

To illustrate further, for many years, cardiologists prescribed antiarrhythmic drugs (medicines that treat abnormal heart rhythms) for people with arrhythmias. This was "common intuition." Patient has an arrhythmia? Give an antiarrhythmic. Duh. It wasn't until randomized controlled trials were performed that we learned that antiarrhythmics INCREASED the risk of death. Why? Because these antiarrhythmic drugs, while successfully treating the arrhythmias, actually CAUSED other arrhythmias at the same time. OOPS. Oh, but COMMON INTUITION says we should adminster antiarrhythmics to people with arrhythmias, so we should just forget about those ridiculous sciiiientific studies, right?

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right that logical reasoning is based heavily on objective information. However, is reasoning the only way of knowing? What gives you the right to suggest that reasoning is any more/less valid than trusting our senses? Our emotions? They are just as real, to be certain - so why not give them equal weight? Why not allow the subjective to go hand-in-hand with the empirically derived knowledge?

As such, if I believe I hear a difference between, say, cables, so what if the empirical evidence is to the contrary? Logic is a path to truth, but is it really the only valid path, and does it lead to the whole truth?

...does it show that I took one semester of epistemology five years ago?
tongue.gif

Answer: Because this is the "Sound SCIENCEForum," where people supposedly discuss the SCIENCE of sound.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny, the last time I checked, tobacco was a multi-BILLION dollar industry, and I haven't seen studies claiming that smoking is good for your heart and reduces your risk of cancer. Might want to rethink that, my friend.

You're wrong. See here:
Cigarettes were once ‘physician’ tested, approved | HemOncToday

digestionsakeparisL.jpg

"Scientific studies show..." in the second paragraph.

Another example of conflicting results from scientific studies is whether mobile phones cause cancer or not.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/te...7955.html?_r=1
http://www.who.int/features/qa/30/en/

Quote:

And simultaneously, when a test produces a result that is somewhat counter to "common intuition," then it's worth considering whether there is something wrong with your "common intuition." A person who meets a/b/c criteria is accustomed to identifying aspects of the methodology, statistical analysis, or issues of generalizability that could affect the validity of the results, positively or negatively. A person who does not meet a/b/c criteria is more likely to singlehandedly dismiss a study because well, it's not consistent with his "common intuition." So what's the point of performing a study to evaluate your "common intuition" if you're only going to accept the study results if they support your "common intuition?"

I'm just saying that DBT as a methodology should be questioned as well especially in light of the results that it produces. Do you unquestionably believe in the results demonstrated by DBT?

If you look back to what nick_charles posted, he posted some links to DBTs which did demonstrate an audible difference with amps. So if you can show using DBT that amps make a difference and amps don't make a difference, then there must be some flaw with the way the DBT was executed or perhaps a flaw with the methodology itself. You can explain this by saying that the test which showed the differences was "sighted" but how do you know there aren't other factors which pushes the results of the DBT one way or another?

And when I upgraded from one amp to another and I feel that there is a huge difference yet according to the links you provided, DBTs indicate that there are no difference. Surely this mechanism is of interest on it's own? Perhaps DBTs are not indicative of real-life experience? Perhaps it's placebo. I don't know but both possibilities are worth considering.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

If you look back to what nick_charles posted, he posted some links to DBTs which did demonstrate an audible difference with amps. So if you can show using DBT that amps make a difference and amps don't make a difference, then there must be some flaw with the way the DBT was executed or perhaps a flaw with the methodology itself.

It is very easy to suggest why there is an apparent discrepancy. On one set of tests the amps were pretty ancient and in some cases very measurably different in terms of basic parameters such as FR, noise , distortion and so on, in the other tests the amps while different in design and price were much more modern and much more likely to be closer in terms of noise, distortion, FR and so on - i.e they were "better" amps and the differences in their distortions , noises and FR deviations were much less likely to significant enough to be detectable , and the amps were so good in absolute terms that their errors were much less likely to be audible anyway, the methodology works fine - only the data is different.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

You're wrong. See here:
Cigarettes were once ‘physician’ tested, approved | HemOncToday

Actually, if you bothered to read the article you provided, you'll discover that physicians only endorsed cigarettes in the early 20th century BEFORE it was demonstrated by scientific studies that they were harmful. Even Big Tobacco, with all of it's money/power, wasn't able to prevent or influence the publication of multiple studies that link smoking with cancer, heart attacks, and COPD. But really now. Are you going to continue to argue that scientific studies should not be trusted because they are too easily influenced by money/power? Should we just throw away all of our medical journals and practice medicine based on our gut feeling? Hi, Mr. Jones. Scientific evidence demonstrates the 5 grams of tylenol a day might hurt your liver, but ahhh what the heck, those studies are all bunk anyway because the the people with money/power control the results.

Quote:

"Scientific studies show..." in the second paragraph.

I think I made this point earlier, but an individual who meets a/b/c criteria and has extensive research experience should have absolutely NO problem differentiating between the quality of evidence in a "scientific studies show..." slogan found in a cigarette ad vs. a randomized placebo-controlled trial published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal (for example). Something tells me that you probably won't be getting this point.

Quote:

Another example of conflicting results from scientific studies is whether mobile phones cause cancer or not.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/te...7955.html?_r=1

When multiple studies have been conducted to answer a specific question, there often will be results that do not agree. So what do we do? Shrug our shoulders and say "scientific studies are useless?" Alternatively, what researchers do is they evaluate the relative strength/validity/generalizability of each study. For instance, a blinded, level-matched listening test with 100 trained listeners and 1000 trials is obviously superior to a sighted A/B test with 1 listener and 10 trials, all else being equal. Well, what if the results are conflicting? Gee, which one is more convincing? This is all very obvious stuff to people who meet a/b/c criteria, and it's kind of why I was seeking their opinion - primarily so I wouldn't have to waste time typing an entire paragraph of something that is already obvious to them (i.e. what do to with results are conflicting).

Quote:

I'm just saying that DBT as a methodology should be questioned as well especially in light of the results that it produces. Do you unquestionably believe in the results demonstrated by DBT?

This is very superficial thinking. Yes, you should question any methodology that gives unexpected results. But you have to ask WHY the DBT did not produce the result you expected, and include the possibility that your expectation was wrong. This is engaging in the scientific method. If you obtain an unexpected result and you stop and just dismiss the test, you are engaging in well...how people think on this sound pseudo-science forum. If a blind listening test is well-documented, sufficiently powered (low beta) to demonstrate large differences in sound, has a sufficiently diverse and competent group of listeners, and is controlled, then YES, I tend to give that study a lot of weight. On the other hand, if an anonymous poster comes in an anonymous internet forum and claims cable A (that he spent $1000 on) makes the soundstage so real, I do NOT give that claim very much weight at all.

Quote:

If you look back to what nick_charles posted, he posted some links to DBTs which did demonstrate an audible difference with amps. So if you can show using DBT that amps make a difference and amps don't make a difference, then there must be some flaw with the way the DBT was executed or perhaps a flaw with the methodology itself.

Oh, I'm pretty sure blinded listeners were able to hear differences between those particular amps tested. The studied amplifiers were antiquated designs, one of them described as built "exactly to the five transistor per channel design in the RCA Transistor Manual. By the espoused standards of subjectivists, nothing sould sound worse than this amplifier." Now ask yourself. Are currently available (modern) amplifiers built in such a primitive fashion - are currently available (modern) amplifiers likely to behave and perform in a similar fashion to the extremely poor amplifiers tested? Absolutely not. So the study results are poorly GENERALIZABLE to the more relevant question - which is whether currently available power amplifiers are likely to have LARGE, EASILY-AUDIBLE differences. A reasonable conclusion is that extremely primitive and antiquated amplifiers probably sound different, but the referenced study is not helpful in determining whether modern-day amplifiers sound substantially different.

Quote:

You can explain this by saying that the test which showed the differences was "sighted" but how do you know there aren't other factors which pushes the results of the DBT one way or another?

The test was not sighted. You would have to read the original paper to see if everything else was well controlled to know if there weren't other factors - like failure to accurately level match, for instance.

Quote:

And when I upgraded from one amp to another and I feel that there is a huge difference yet according to the links you provided, DBTs indicate that there are no difference. Surely this mechanism is of interest on it's own? Perhaps DBTs are not indicative of real-life experience? Perhaps it's placebo. I don't know but both possibilities are worth considering.

These questions have all been discussed and addressed elsewhere in this forum, ad nauseum.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #54 of 79
Quote:

1) Do differences among cables, DAC's, and loudspeaker amps result in LARGE, EASILY AUDIBLE differences in sound reproduction? (which is basically a common claim that people make)

To most people in this forum, by the nature of the forum, yes, there is a distinct difference in the sound reproduction done by a high-end amp and a low-fi amp. There is one huge flaw in this whole argument (well, two, but I'll get to that later). You cannot target hobbyists of any kind and question their purchases and beliefs without receiving some backlash. You can't question a car enthusiast if they'll REALLY feel the difference between one intercooler to the next. You can't ask the computer guy to prove there is a dramatic improvement in day-to-day usage when he buys a new memory stick. You can't interrogate the cellist on their purchase of a 1700's instrument. You can't argue with the wine drinker about their ability to distinguish a 1998 from a 2000 cab. You can't because you're only doing it because you can't tell yourself and don't think anyone else can.

My humble opinion, lol.

The second flaw was discrediting engineers (I'm electrical). First off, most of the engineers I know are more skeptical about the use of really expensive cables (as am I, I believe mid-grade audiophile cables offer plenty bandwidth and clarity. Good DACs, on the other hand, are of the upmost importance in a true audio system.) than most anyone else. Secondly, none of the equipment would be around without engineers. Thirdly, there are plenty of PhD engineers; the two words aren't contradictory.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #55 of 79
car enthusiasts have to pony up the money on their bets when everyone agrees on the outcome of a race and do pay attention to dynamometer results
you don't get much sympathy for arguing that on my track or with better gloves the outcome would have been different so I don't have to pay up

wine tasters train to an agreed on terminology and do pass blind tests

audio hobbyists seem to resist even learning or applying simple psycoacoustic findings to their subjective "comparisons"

I am still appalled at the successful, nearly unopposed, extension on DBT discussion ban from the cable ghetto to the whole forum

although its hard to gauge the community sentiment when mods delete any such "policy" discussion threads

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still appalled at the successful, nearly unopposed, extension on DBT discussion ban from the cable ghetto to the whole forum

In a purely abstract any theoretical sense of course...

Each "society" constructs its own rules of conduct and tends to remove members who do not behave according to such rules.

In that case three options are possible, (1) remove yourself from such a society as many of the early (Western) settlers in the USA did when they felt they were being constrained by religious orthodoxy , (2) Live with the constraints or (3) peaceful protest, however much I like the discussion that dare not speak its name I would not support an armed insurrection just for the privelige of talking about that which dare not speak its name . Of course you may feel that a society that does not allow (3) may fall into the (1) category.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

1) Simple. Most engineers do "engineering," which is an applied science, and very little is applicable to human subject experimental design. Even in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, some of the PUBLISHED work was SO statistically poor, that a statistician had to submit a paper on HOW to do proper statistics on A/B testing (there were actuall TWO).

If you don't care, that's fine. But some people would like to know whether cables/amps/dac's make LARGE AUDIBLE differences in sound - because if they DO, they will spend a lot of money on them, and if they DON'T, they will spend very little.

Ha ha, some of the premise in your thread is wrong on so many levels. Please tell me you are trolling.

Are you seriously suggesting people with an engineering or applied mathematics background are incapable of performing statistical analysis?

Just what have "natural scientists" contributed to the evolution of HiFi and Audio technology? Micro amplifiers from Frog Spawn DNA? Charles Darwin's theory of Signal Sampling?

I just pray you are not working in a hazardous biological fascility.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #58 of 79
^^
beerchug.gif
^^

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #59 of 79
I'am doing my master in EE(the math part). Speech recognition and stuff.
Science has nothing important to say in audio, until we completely understand the brain and have enough computation power to use that info. So maybe never. That is because music is such a subjective matter.
It's like this: I don't care if science tells me that salad is healthy. If I like hamburgers, I'm going to eat a god damn hamburger and throw away the salad. Except that if you only follow your senses in audio, you're not going to die at 30 of heart failure. Only your wallet will suffer and most here are willing to make that sacrifice.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #60 of 79
i have advanced degrees in computer science and psychology. Field of expertise is software engineering and Parallel & Distributed computing. For psychology my field of expertise is biological psychology. Think of human genetics, Anatomy + function of the brain, fysiological reactions (such as stress) and influence of chemicals and hormones on the body.

Both are pretty much related in different ways to audio. The first obviously more on the technical side, the latter on how we process sound and perceive it (functioning of the brains) and how our state can influence it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back