are ther headphone amps with tone controls?
Jan 29, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 22
About a year ago I did a lot of searching, but couldn't find any. I ended up using an equalizer. I did find some rather expensive preamps that might have worked. Depending on how good the headphone circuit is, some regular stereo amps will work just fine. Hopefully someone else knows of such a headphone amp. Perhaps you could have one built for you with tone controls, or build one yourself. I'd really like to see amps with balance control too, but back then I only found one. I ended up also using the EQ for channel balancing as well.

Jan 29, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 22
I recently sold the Corda HA-1 as it lost out to the headphone jack on a B&K PT-3 preamp/tuner. The PT-3 is a full-featured stereo preamp from B&K with full tone controls and an obscene loudness boost that I have enjoyed with etymotic 4s, 4p, Beyer dt931, and now most frequently Grado SR-225s. It can be had used on Audiogon occasionally for about $300. Mine has been working flawlessly for 4 years now.

My only beef with the B&K PT-3 is with its lame FM tuner which lacks detail. I use a Cambridge Audio T500 instead and love it.

Jan 30, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for the link. I'm still pretty new to all this stuff. I know the Ety's are capable of good bass, I just haven't been able to get enough for my tastes with the iPod and an Airhead. Maybe I'm asking too much of em. Is the solution a better amp? Maybe there is no solution. My latest thought is maybe trying a super mini instead of the airhead. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Jan 30, 2003 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by daredevii
So you can adjust bass and treble?

i'm wishing for just a balance trim pot; doesn't even need to be a front panel big honking knob, just a slotted pot on the back. nothing is exactly balanced, especially ears. oh well.

Jan 30, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 22
I put a simple bass boost switch on all my DIY Amps. the circuit is within the feedback loop so as to not require more circuits. and when switched off the circuit is compleatly devoid of any Reactive components at all.

I think that with Headphones more so than Loudspakers need some type of EQ most often bass Boost. but the EQ on most portable CD players are lame and really do not boost the bass but just reduce the Midrange. i am sure there are exceptions. I am not a big crossfeed fan but EQ is a must for me.

Jan 31, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by daredevii
I'm looking for something portable, dougli. At the moment I'm trying to decide between the super mini 4.0 and the Airhead. And how much is 29 pounds?

OK, I'm no help with portable EQ's because I've only researched and used home/studio units.

Oct 13, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Orpheus:

Why do you say no one on Head Fi would like the Behringer or Redsound headphone amp w/ tone controls or equalizers? Lack of power, not a good sounding op amp, poor design, poor components, etc.? Have you listened to either?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back