Are the Velodyne VPulse IEMs Worth It?
May 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Red Raider

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! As you can see I'm a new poster here, but I've been a long-time spectator.

I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new do-it-all IEM for everyday use (gym, casual listening, etc) and after extensive research I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Soundmagic E10 and Velodyne VPulse. I currently own the JVC HA-FX3X and love the low end impact, but the highs and mids are so drowned out that it's hardly enjoyable anymore (I also hate that I look like Frankenstein when wearing them). I'm looking for an earphone with that same type of bass impact but with a more detailed mid and upper range.

I'm certainly willing to shell out more cash for the extra bass the VPulse earphones provide, but I'm afraid I'll just be buying another HA-FX3X with tons of low end rumble but little to no musical clarity. My question is, have any of you heard the Velodyne VPulse and do they preserve clarity or is it just another bloated basshead IEM?

Thanks!

May 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 10
I have a drawer full of IEMs.  The vPulse is my favorite by far.  Yes, it has really big bass but also does everything else well, in my opinion.

May 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 10
I haven't heard the HA-FX3X, but have heard the HA-FX1X as well as the other two. I found the HA-FX1X to have good bass, but it seemed slightly artificial-sounding to me compared to the vPulse's. (I suspect this will be less applicable to the HA-FX3X, though.) The treble of the HA-FX1X sounded harsh to me compared to the other two as well. That said, the E10 would have a more v-shaped sound signature (IIRC) while the vPulse sounds a bit darker.

I liked both better than the FX1X, but again, I haven't heard the FX3X (which I believe I've read sound somewhat better) so it's hard to say. What I can say is that given my preferences I kept the vPulse between the three.

May 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 10
I have not heard the E10 so I cannot compare that to vPulse.  I don't think of the vPulse as dark but I would not certainly not call it bright either.  I recently got the Xears XPA2PRO and really like them as well.  For my taste both work really well for many types of music.  vPulse is the one I take everywhere.

May 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 10
So here's a little update:

I ordered the Soundmagic E10 because they were low risk at only $35. I got them in the mail and absolutely loved them, but within 30 minutes of listening (at the gym) the left earphone started distorting. I'm obviously very disappointed because I love the signature of these earphones (Though I could stand a little more bass).

These blow my JVC HA-FX3X away in essentially every aspect of listening, but the JVCs are a far better constructed IEM. Can somebody please just recommend to me a DURABLE in-ear headphone for under $100 with similar sound quality to the E10? I just want something that won't break during every day use. Is the vPulse what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I have got both E10 and Vpulse.
Vpulse doesn't have the same signature, however it does have more bass. I usually use Vpulse for viewing Boxing/UFC, and E10 for music.
Vpulse's sensitivity is also lower than E10's. I have usually to click volume up two times while using Vpulse, comparing to E10.
Having said that, it doesn't mean that Vpulse is not good for listening to music. It is just that I usually plug IEM in directly to my smartphone, without the use of any amplifier. I think would the sensitivity of Vpulse be similar to E10, I would be using it much more.

If you cannot get your E10 replaced, but you really like them, consider ordering a new pair. They are normally quite durable, so it might be you have just gotten a faulty pair.

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 10
I own a pair of vpulse and they are fab especially with comply foam tips also be aware Do not buy these earphones from non authorized dealers I've heard complaints they could be fakes .

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm aware this is an old thread, but just for the record.......

I've used E10's exclusively as IEM's for the last couple of years and rate them very highly, very good all rounders. I recently got the opportunity to buy some vPulses for £10 and decided at that price it was worth a shot as I have a Velodyne sub which although very old is top quality.

For info, I am running all sources through a Fiio Q1 USB DAC. I also get a perfect airtight fit from both IEM's.

After switching to the vPulses, you immediately notice the extra bass. This is more from the presence of a very tightly controlled sub bass which gives a fuller richer low end than the E10's. The mid and high ranges don't suffer in the way they can with some bass heavy phones though. I would class them as ever so slightly bright as well, not in a harsh way, just slightly more than the E10's.

Switching from one to the other, I noticed the vPulses to be a notch louder than the E10's on the sensitivity front.

I am loving these vPulses, I tend to dial the slight brightness out with EQ where possible as that's just my personal preference but it only requires very minimal change. As they were so cheap, I have since bought another pair to have as spares in case I have any issues with the build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back