Are the V150's really THAT bad?
Jun 21, 2007 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

qazwsx

500+ Head-Fier
I bought a pair, planning on modding and screwing around with them, maybe with the KSC75 drivers, or maybe to see if I could make them sound good, just for fun. But....but...but...I...don't think they sound half as bad as people claim for $20 headphones. I do notice a peak in the lower-mids (around the 100-300Hz area) and grainy highs. Great sound? No. Unaceptable for the price and totally unlistenable? Not at all. I find these much better than both my Koss UR20 ($20) in terms of what I'm getting for the price. Otherwise mids are quite impressive, soundstage is good, and with a few EQ tweaks these can sound actually quite okay. I know I sound terrible defending these, but I'm being honest, I think they are better of the <$20 closed headphones. Just my thoughts.....

edit: They don't sound as good as the Philips because of boomy bass.

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Oops...I had my iPod on Treble Booster. Wow...these suck. Nothing but bass.

I guess since they do sound okay on treble booster, otherwise....

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, actually I disagree on that, using them for my TV now (UR20's totally trashed), I think they're very comfortable.

Otherwise it sounds like two subwoofers clamped to my head.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 12
Yes,they are that bad. I have a happily dismantled pair in my headphone graveyard that I might recable and switch drivers, but I would have to be desperate or bored. Maybe some wooden cups and some old koss drivers, who knows. You get the picture. They sounded so boomy and unsharp I tore them apart to see if it could be helped. Maybe I'll put them back to stock condition and give them to someone with i-buds. Or target practice.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 12
Nah, I don't think they're target practice bad, I've heard worse for the money but they do sound very dull and boomy to me. With EQ adjustments, again, they actually sound okay, otherwise they are TV headphones and nothing more.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops...I had my iPod on Treble Booster. Wow...these suck. Nothing but bass.

I guess since they do sound okay on treble booster, otherwise....

LOL!

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 12
I thought it was on the "off" setting (because the iPod EQ basically sucks) but I guess I put it on treble booster and I thought I was running them plain.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 12
v150s are HORRIBLE. so bad, they made me swear off headphones as a music delivering device for 14 years.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
v150s are HORRIBLE. so bad, they made me swear off headphones as a music delivering device for 14 years.

I agree, Jahn. Almost had the same experience, although school/office work necessitated I find some headphones, which in turn caused me to flee to head-fi.

I would be studying with V-150s on and suddenly (and quite literally) throw them across the room in a fit of disgust. I thought they sounded good when I first got them (coming from the cheap supra/headband era of the early 90s) but after 3-plus years of use they were honestly making me feel sick. I would strain to hear something or other only to allow icepicks of grain and sumo wrestlers of bloat to assault my senses. Absolutely some of the crappiest sound ever to cross my ears. So bad, I knew they were sh** without having ever heard decent headphones before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back