Are The V-Moda Crossfade LPs Susceptible to Static Electricity Damage?
Feb 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

0vercast

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I have owned a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LPs for two months now. I am worried I will damage them in situations like this:

A little a while ago, I took some bedsheets out of the dryer to make my bed. I didn't use a static sheet. I was listening to music with the my iPod nano sitting on the sheet. As I tucked the corners in, I felt a shock through the headphone and into my ear; sharp, popping sounds interrupted the song. I immediately shut it off and came online for an answer to this question: 

I read somewhere else on this forum that headphones with 'crossover', or 'dual drivers' can be damaged by static shocks. I don't really understand what that is, nor do I know if the LPs even have this. I couldn't tell based on the website, but I didn't truly know what I was looking for, either :p.

What is important to me, however, is if they have this, and if so, are they susceptible to shock damage? If someone could clarify this for me, my mind would be greatly at ease!

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 3
I think Direct Current is bad for headphones drivers in general.  They are Alternating Current devices after all ( thank you Tesla ).  I suspect they are just fine and the interruption or crackle you heard was within the signal itself caused by the static.  This I suspect much more than the possibility of having damaged the drivers.

Static is generally bad for any device dealing with signals, but obviously not in all cases.

Here is a quick video showing how DC can affect a speaker / headphone driver.  See in the first few seconds of the video how the speaker deforms severely.  This is not a good thing, but in your case I would say you need not worry as it was for such a short time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThb2-GmG1w

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Oh, I see. It was just the signal being interrupted. Well, I learned my lesson: don't do laundry/other static-inducing activities with your headphones on! Thank you NA Blur for answering! Although I didn't see a video link in your post anywhere.

It will be interesting to see what V-Moda says about it, as I e-mailed them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back