Are the Ultrasone Pro 900's worth the $?
Oct 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Socrates138

New Head-Fier
I tried asking a similar question in the help forum and I only got 1 person to actually post in it in the past 2/3 days, so I'm posting in here.

Here's a TLDR: I listen to electronic dance music like progressive house, etc, etc. I already have an amp + DAC and I have the DT 990 Pro's (also Sennheiser 598's).

I don't think the DT 990 Pro's have enough bass so I'm looking for headphones with more bass. Question is do you think the upgrade from DT 990's to the Ultrasone Pro 900's is worth the money?

I'm also thinking about getting a much cheaper pair of headphones which are the JVC MR77X headphones which are $99 at retail stores. Problem is I already tried a pair of cheap bass heavy headphones (the Sennheiser 212 Pro's, they're discontinued) and I thought they were awful so I'm returning them.

The point being, I'm torn between getting another pair of cheaper headphones that emphasize bass that hopefully will satisfy me, or should are the Ultrasone Pro 900's just so awesome and so much better than the DT 990's for the kind of music I listen to that it's worth buying them?

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 9
That is kind of an impossible question to answer. The Pro 900s definitely have the most bass I've ever heard out of a headphone by exponential margins. However, I'd say that it is literally the only thing that they have going for them. I hated basically everything else about them, bad highs and mids, average detail, terrible "metallic" sounding. Completely unnatural is how I'd describe them. So for me? Not worth it at all. However, there are more than a few people who love the Pro 900s.

My advice with any headphone purchase is to buy from somewhere with a good return policy and demo them yourself.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 9
  I tried asking a similar question in the help forum and I only got 1 person to actually post in it in the past 2/3 days, so I'm posting in here.

Here's a TLDR: I listen to electronic dance music like progressive house, etc, etc. I already have an amp + DAC and I have the DT 990 Pro's (also Sennheiser 598's).

I don't think the DT 990 Pro's have enough bass so I'm looking for headphones with more bass. Question is do you think the upgrade from DT 990's to the Ultrasone Pro 900's is worth the money?

I have the Ultrasone Pro900 - beneath others - since years - and I'm using them exclusively to control + check field recordings....they are quite good in their stereo imaging capabilities and as MONITOR headphones...but for pure listening...? IMHO you HAVE to have an eq to iron out the strange (=harsh) highs and push the mids for these... maybe you consider the Fidelio X1 also (ok, not closed, but also  bassy...not particularly linear, but much more balanced...)

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 9
That is kind of an impossible question to answer. The Pro 900s definitely have the most bass I've ever heard out of a headphone by exponential margins. However, I'd say that it is literally the only thing that they have going for them. I hated basically everything else about them, bad highs and mids, average detail, terrible "metallic" sounding. Completely unnatural is how I'd describe them. So for me? Not worth it at all. However, there are more than a few people who love the Pro 900s.

My advice with any headphone purchase is to buy from somewhere with a good return policy and demo them yourself.

I have the Ultrasone Pro900 - beneath others - since years - and I'm using them exclusively to control + check field recordings....they are quite good in their stereo imaging capabilities and as MONITOR headphones...but for pure listening...? IMHO you HAVE to have an eq to iron out the strange (=harsh) highs and push the mids for these... maybe you consider the Fidelio X1 also (ok, not closed, but also  bassy...not particularly linear, but much more balanced...)

Perhaps you guys can't help with this next question, but as I think I mentioned in my original post (don't remember though) I already own the DT 990 Pro's and I've heard a lot of people complain about the DT 990 Pro's emphasizing high's too much.

I don't agree with that though at all, I think the high's are perfectly okay on the 990's. So my question is if you have tried the DT 990 Pro's before, how do the highs of those cans compare to the highs on the Pro 900's?

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 9

Do you know how the bass on the Fidelio X1's compare to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's bass?

The reason I'm asking is because as I said I'm looking for something more bassy than my Beyerdynamic pair (but at the same time also has good sound quality, decent soundstage, good sound detail, etc, etc). 

I actually prefer open headphones, so that's a bonus in my opinion that the X1's are open. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 9
You might be able to find a headphone which had more solid bass than the Pro 900. They are a bit picky with amplification.
Personally, I really like bass from the Denon D2000.
What price are you looking at when purchasing the Pro 900 anyway?

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 9
  Do you know how the bass on the Fidelio X1's compare to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's bass?

The reason I'm asking is because as I said I'm looking for something more bassy than my Beyerdynamic pair (but at the same time also has good sound quality, decent soundstage, good sound detail, etc, etc). 

I actually prefer open headphones, so that's a bonus in my opinion that the X1's are open. 

Sry, don't have the DT990 here anymore (I don't like some construction details, but won't talk about that) ... but, remember: With an eq you can dial in your desired low frequency amount easily

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 9
(...) the Pro 900. They are a bit picky with amplification.

May I strongly disagree?
gs1000.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 9
You might be able to find a headphone which had more solid bass than the Pro 900. They are a bit picky with amplification.
Personally, I really like bass from the Denon D2000.
What price are you looking at when purchasing the Pro 900 anyway?

The D2000s were easily the best bass headphones for the money back when they were no discontinued. If you can get a nice used pair for ~$200 then I'd heavily recommend them.

As for open and bass, I'd recommend looking into the Fisher Audio FA-011s or if you can afford them, the HE-400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back