are the sr-60s a good upgrade from the portapros?
Jul 12, 2003 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

princeclassic

100+ Head-Fier
i have portapros right now and i really enjoy them. i guess the one thing i don't like about them is how it is sort of a slow delicate process putting them on and off.

so...now i'm checking out the grado sr-60s. i love the way they look and many seem to love the way they sound. so what i'm wondering is if i'm going to notice a big difference in sound quality between the portapros and the grados? and...are the grados easy to put on and off?

oh yeah...i won't be using an amp...

Jul 12, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Night and day*

*A foggy day**

**much better than night

Recommended:
Portables: No
Home: Yes

Jul 13, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 14
yes. the grados are much more refined and balanced (relative). yes they are easy to take on and off.

you will still want to use your portapros for portable as originalreaper said, however.

Jul 13, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 14
thanks...

i think i'll definitely get the sr-60s now. i'll use the portapros for on the go type listening....ur-20s for late night roommate sleeping type situations (dorm)....and the grados for everything in between...

this is going to be a big adjustment for me though...i'm so used to listening to music on my stereo...and i don't really have room for that when i go to college in a little over a month...so i'll be pretty much listening to my music on headphones exclusively

at least i don't have to worry about my roommate hating my taste in music...

Jul 13, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by princeclassic
at least i don't have to worry about my roommate hating my taste in music...

Being a fellow gonna-be collge student, this is what I also fear: that my roomie will be some heavy metal, gangsta rap, MTV yahoo with huge Bose speakers pumping out nothing but digustingly loud bass. And I don't think he'd like my tastes in music either.

Jul 13, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 14
As someone wise once put it:

Is a frog's butt watertight?

Jul 13, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 14
oh! which college are you headed to?

i'll be at penn st for electrical engineering.

im gonna miss my stereo oh so much. hopefully i'll get an apartment sophomore year and i'll have the room for it.

Jul 13, 2003 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I've had SR-60's for a long time. I recently purchased a pair of PortaPro's to A/B them with the SR-60's.

Although they were similar, I found the SR-60's to have tighter bass and better mids.

But I'm not sure you're going to get the night and day difference that some are suggesting. IMO the differences in sound quality were not night and day.

But those portapros sure are a pain to put on...

Jul 13, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 14
I've got to agree with KRSone.

I also owned the SR60s first, and recently bought a pair of Portapros recently (a few months ago), for portable use.
The difference isn't as amazing as some people make it out to be, but it's there.
I find the Grado's slightly more detailed, more 'laid back', and the sound is just smoother, overall.
The Grados also have less bass, but like many people have said, it's 'tighter' and better quality.

The SR60s are definitely an improvement over the PPs, but the difference is much smaller than many audiophiles here make it out to be.

Also, I find the SR60s to be much more comfortable for short periods of time, however, I can wear the PPs longer. (for the first hour, the SR60s are extremely comfortable, but after that, my ears start to get sore, while with the PPs, the first hour isn't quite as comfortable, but I can continue to wear them for a long time afterwards, without getting sore).

I'd definitely keep the PPs for portable use, but the Grados are a great buy, as well.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your roommate, though, since bouth headphones (especially the Grados) leak a faur bit of sound, and let in sound, as well.

Jul 13, 2003 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 14
I asked the same question only with the PX100s and the grado sr60s.

I ended up trying it out.
I thought the Grado's weren't A LOT better in soundquality but MUCH better balanced! I enjoyed MUCH better!
If you like them, you'll fall in love with them.

And yes, they leak like hell. I was sitting next to a friend who was comparing them too and I couldn't hear the music with the px100s, maybe a bit. But with the sr60's I could hear everything.

Jul 13, 2003 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
As someone wise once put it:

Is a frog's butt watertight?

So that's a no then?
wink.gif

Man can't have been very wise... Wasn't Scarpitti by any chance?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, after a very (and I do mean very) brief listen on the Portapro, I agree completely with Heyyoudvd.

Jul 13, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 14
thanks for all ther replys...i really like this forum...sorta like how i felt when i first found the hometheaterforum...everyone is so helpful

another question...are the sr-60s good around the neck type headphones?

Jul 14, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
So that's a no then?
wink.gif

Man can't have been very wise... Wasn't Scarpitti by any chance?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hahaha no it wasn't Scarpitti. But okay, I concede your point. Let me amend by saying: A frog's butt is watertight when it needs to be. I'm talking about say, regular exercise swimming through the pond. Not after eating a bad fly and getting a bad case of diarrhea. It goes along with the whole thing by heyyoudvd. Because a frog's butt is generally considered to be watertight by many, but the level of watertightness is not as great as many would make it to be.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back